5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cap/topper options

Nick54

Reaction score
I just came across this thread and wanted to put in my 2cents. I have a 19 Laramie and was coming from a 17 bighorn. 5’7” bed. Got a z-series ARE and it went on the 19’ perfect. It’s sits a bit higher but I don’t notice any extra wind noise. And it doesn’t bother me at all. At the topper dealership here in MN, they wired it and added the switch to turn on the LED strip inside the topper for 150$. Turned out great and couldn’t ask for better!
Does your Laramie have front collision avoidance? If so, and the cap has the 3rd brake light. I would like to speak to your installer. Guys who did mine can't figure which wire to connect the cap brake light to without disabling the front collision system.

MN5241

Reaction score
I just came across this thread and wanted to put in my 2cents. I have a 19 Laramie and was coming from a 17 bighorn. 5’7” bed. Got a z-series ARE and it went on the 19’ perfect. It’s sits a bit higher but I don’t notice any extra wind noise. And it doesn’t bother me at all. At the topper dealership here in MN, they wired it and added the switch to turn on the LED strip inside the topper for 150$. Turned out great and couldn’t ask for better!
Looks good, how much was it all installed may I ask? And what dealer was it?

clarkehaven

Reaction score
I'm probably going to be pulling the trigger on a Ranch Fusion or Premier. I haven't decided.

Anyone have any experience with these?

I like the Ranch tops....You must have a 5'7" bed. They told me 6'4" are still at least a month out....but maybe that's is bad info......I have gotten plenty of BAD info, especially from ARE. They strung me along for months....total BS.

ARE and Ranch were my first choices but I got tired of their CRAP. Leer and Century were at least accurate with their info so I ordered a Century a couple weeks ago. Will post pics when installed

capecodcaper

Reaction score
I like the Ranch tops....You must have a 5'7" bed. They told me 6'4" are still at least a month out....but maybe that's is bad info......I have gotten plenty of BAD info, especially from ARE. They strung me along for months....total BS.

ARE and Ranch were my first choices but I got tired of their CRAP. Leer and Century were at least accurate with their info so I ordered a Century a couple weeks ago. Will post pics when installed

I do have the 5'7". So that works for me

I love the century royal but not the price tag lol

Nick54

Reaction score
@Nick54 how does tapping into the rear lights impact the Front Collision Warning system?
Your guess is as good as mine. Cap installer hooked everything up and after I picked up the truck, started it began driving away, I tapped the brake at the end of the driveway and got a center dash message that said the system deactivated. I turned around and went back into the installers, after about ten minutes they told me they disconnected the cap brake light and were able to reenable the system. Now thier trying to figure out the correct wire to connect, that was 2 weeks ago, haven't heard back yet.

slimchance

Reaction score
sorry i do not see the connection between the front avoidance system and the rear brake lights ... look at my signature, i have 2 Rams 2019 and they both have FCA and they both have caps and both caps have the 3rd brake lite ... you need to find another installer

Nick54

Reaction score
sorry i do not see the connection between the front avoidance system and the rear brake lights ... look at my signature, i have 2 Rams 2019 and they both have FCA and they both have caps and both caps have the 3rd brake lite ... you need to find another installer
So if you look back at my post, that is exactly what I'm trying to do (find out which wire SHOULD be used). I'm willing to call any installer that got it right for advice.

RichT

Reaction score
Shocked myself and actually made a decision. Ordered...

ARE Overland
Trimless Edge
Aluminum framed tilt-down sliding window (front)
Outdoorsman Vented Windor (sides)
Aluminum framed double T door (rear)
Dark grey headliner
12V LED Dome & Dual rope lights
Prop switch for dome & ropes
Roof tracks only

Quoted $3085 out the door installed. Local dealer wanted $3400 + tax (CA) + installation.

CMENT

Reaction score
Just talked to my ARE dealer regarding the status of the Evolve and Revo. Don’t expect these for the Ram anytime soon. Seems they skipped some QC on the bonding process for rear window and some other stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just talked to my ARE dealer regarding the status of the Evolve and Revo. Don’t expect these for the Ram anytime soon. Seems they skipped some QC on the bonding process for rear window and some other stuff.

Issues with the vendor supplying the rear window... yeah, that's what ARE told me; they were hoping for a expeditious resolution...

Last edited:

WRH

Reaction score
I've been waiting to post a pic of my ARE MX until after the truck was nice and clean. But it's snowing again so whatever. Excuse the dirty truck. I also built the same custom bed platform I designed for my Tacoma--very sturdy, removes in about 5 minutes. The bed lights are nice because I can easily see under the platform. It's also nice when I'm driving around too because if somebody looks in the back, they see nothing. My gear is a bit more protected underneath. Oh, and new tires too :)

Attachments

• 20190222_012542939_iOS.jpg
    20190222_012542939_iOS.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 428
  • 20190227_021902679_iOS.jpg
    20190227_021902679_iOS.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 429
  • 20190305_210044762_iOS.jpg
    20190305_210044762_iOS.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 388
  • 20190305_210102843_iOS.jpg
    20190305_210102843_iOS.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 393

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been waiting to post a pic of my ARE MX until after the truck was nice and clean. But it's snowing again so whatever. Excuse the dirty truck. I also built the same custom bed platform I designed for my Tacoma--very sturdy, removes in about 5 minutes. The bed lights are nice because I can easily see under the platform. It's also nice when I'm driving around too because if somebody looks in the back, they see nothing. My gear is a bit more protected underneath. Oh, and new tires too :)

Can you post of pic of the back and 3/4 back with everything closed up? Interested in seeing how the door looks closed...

WRH

Reaction score
Any details on the support system for your platform? I'm interested!

You bet!

I have the bed kit, so the rails made this super easy. They became the supports for my sides. I didn't have this in my Tacoma so had to built a support system.
Two sheets of plywood (you'll have extra).
Cut the plywood first to 66.5 inches for the width, then cut straight in half (so I had 3 2 foot x 66.5 strips). Then I cut them in half (in my Tacoma I used one long strip, but with this bed rail method, a single sheet won't fit). A benefit to this, however, is it's easy to lift a pane in the back to get to gear underneath.
I then trimmed each piece to match the contour of the truck down the bed. For the two pieces up against the cab, I also had to trim a bit on edges so it would fit snug. It took a few trips back and forth from the saw to the truck to get it right.

I bought thin carpet and carpet padding and glued and stapled each piece of plywood. Mark the back of each panel so you'll know exactly where it goes when you remove and reinstall.

Cut a 2x6 to run the length from the cab to the tailgate. Make sure you check the height, there is a edge on the cab and if you measure too high, you'll cut your 2x6 too short. Yup. I speak from experience. I also put some carpet on the ends of the 2x6 so they wouldn't scratch things up.

Deciding on the supports was a tough one. In the end, I went with the same solution I had in my tacoma. Three of these:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024E6ZW2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The problem is they can't quite get long enough. So I cut 4 small 2x6 squares. I then screwed the supports and legs to the 2x6. In my Tacoma I had the bed so I could use two different heights, don't really need that here but these adjustable legs still seemed to be my best option.

I then screwed down a small length of wood on each panel to keep the center support from sliding around (you can see this in my included pic).

If you barrel down a super bumpy road, the panels can bounce up and not fall perfectly back into place. A simple strap underneath would stop this. I only ever had that happen once in the Tacoma though. Most of my driving is pretty tame. I haven't added a strap yet, but I probably will. I also never had any issues with the support structure, and there were times I loaded a lot of weight on the top of the bed. The center support is sturdy and stayed in place like it was supposed to!

I designed it for sleeping and thought I would remove it unless I was going on a trip. Turns out, I like it in all the time. I generally have a memory foam pad and sleeping bags laid out in back. I can store stuff underneath and feel better about security. Also have some simple velcro curtains for the windows when I'm spending the night in a rest area and want some privacy.

The bed rug helps with insulation, and when I have to crawl up under the bed to pack or unpack gear....

Attachments

• 20190227_021858811_iOS.jpg
    20190227_021858811_iOS.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 282
  • 20190305_230540278_iOS.jpg
    20190305_230540278_iOS.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 287

WRH

Reaction score
Can you post of pic of the back and 3/4 back with everything closed up? Interested in seeing how the door looks closed...[/Q

I'll get better ones when the weather turns... I don't like the ledge. I liked the back end of the MX on my Tacoma more, but I don't know how they could have done it any different.

EDIT: Snow melted, truck still dirty, but added a couple more pics.

Attachments

• 20190307_175957499_iOS.jpg
    20190307_175957499_iOS.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 267
  • 20190307_194353444_iOS.jpg
    20190307_194353444_iOS.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 266
  • 20190307_194401851_iOS.jpg
    20190307_194401851_iOS.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 259
  • 20190307_194407189_iOS.jpg
    20190307_194407189_iOS.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

Nick54

Reaction score
Issue with topper 3rd brake light resolved. Installer contacted Leer for a fix. Asked what that was and was told they needed to install a diode (?????). Not sure how that fixed kicking the collision avoidance system out, but all is working now regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread