5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cant open or drop Tailgate

Status
Not open for further replies.

recon

Reaction score
I've had this problem from day one on and off. 2019 Ram Longhorn Larmie. Now can't get it to work or open at all. Key Fab does nothing, all I hear is a sound I push the tailgate back towards the bed or cap and retry but nothing and the buttons inside the cab has never worked. Biggest mistake I have ever made in purchasing this pice of crap. Had truck in for different problems from the start, maybe 8 times the first year. Gave my son a 2004 f350 with 150000 miles and never had ONE PROBLEM with the truck.
Take it to dealer in the area they have got to have the truck for 2 days or more????????.

Can anyone tell me how to get the tailgate to open, and can I disconnect the tailgate electrical so I can use the tailgate by hand or manual.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've had this problem from day one on and off. 2019 Ram Longhorn Larmie. Now can't get it to work or open at all. Key Fab does nothing, all I hear is a sound I push the tailgate back towards the bed or cap and retry but nothing and the buttons inside the cab has never worked. Biggest mistake I have ever made in purchasing this pice of crap. Had truck in for different problems from the start, maybe 8 times the first year. Gave my son a 2004 f350 with 150000 miles and never had ONE PROBLEM with the truck.
Take it to dealer in the area they have got to have the truck for 2 days or more????????.

Can anyone tell me how to get the tailgate to open, and can I disconnect the tailgate electrical so I can use the tailgate by hand or manual.
There isn't a way to make it a manual tailgate release. You can probably remove the access panel on inside of tailgate to access the rods for the latches. I would imagine it's an adjustment issue, or the solenoids have died. To say the truck is a piece of crap because of one issue is a bit extreme.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There isn't a way to make it a manual tailgate release. You can probably remove the access panel on inside of tailgate to access the rods for the latches. I would imagine it's an adjustment issue, or the solenoids have died. To say the truck is a piece of crap because of one issue is a bit extreme.
The "designers/engineers" created a problem/potential problem/concern that does not exist in my 2001 Dodge Ram. I have experienced intermittent problems and it "seems" to help if the 2nd click on the remote is slightly delayed.

Burns1200

Reaction score
If you have the time and the access to the inside of the bed. Remove the access panel on the inside of the tailgate and there are mechanical releases on the side of both latches. you will have to reach in the tailgate to get to them.

PXL_20230624_195003170.MP.jpg

Jako

Reaction score
If you have the time and the access to the inside of the bed. Remove the access panel on the inside of the tailgate and there are mechanical releases on the side of both latches. you will have to reach in the tailgate to get to them.

View attachment 165812
Choose your tonneau cover wisely and figure out how to "break in" if necessary. Like my Diamond Back as it can be opened to access the bed if the tailgate opening fails.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The "designers/engineers" created a problem/potential problem/concern that does not exist in my 2001 Dodge Ram. I have experienced intermittent problems and it "seems" to help if the 2nd click on the remote is slightly delayed.
You can't say it doesn't exist on your 2001 RAM, as I have seen several tailgate handles break on older Rams/trucks requiring removing the access panel to manualy pull in the rods to release the latches.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am sure the 2001 Ram had problems my 1978 150 didn't have.

recon

Reaction score
I will will list JUST the first 6 month
Dish had to be replace when I ask about the work this is what I got ( we do these all time mostly on the Che-Jeep) what the hell does that tell.
2. Passager side sun visor falls out in wife lap
3. Truck stop in middle of the road 9 PM at night lucky there was a policeman behind us or a crash because I was setting in a totally darken truck or lights out. Replace battery wow
4. Rear window stop in the open position, had to replace the rear window.
Got more but will stop there enough said.

Jako

Reaction score
You can't say it doesn't exist on your 2001 RAM, as I have seen several tailgate handles break on older Rams/trucks requiring removing the access panel to manualy pull in the rods to release the latches.
Wrong - original handle, no problem opening or closing. And it has been on the street for it's entire life but with a tonneau cover. Hasn't had that much use lately as it is the "dirty job" truck. Have used it to take 30+ truck loads (6-7 wheel barrows per load) of dirt and for concrete, gravel, fire wood and such. Great vehicle to have with the slush/snow and moving the snow blower around.

Last edited:

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I will will list JUST the first 6 month
Dish had to be replace when I ask about the work this is what I got ( we do these all time mostly on the Che-Jeep) what the hell does that tell.
2. Passager side sun visor falls out in wife lap
3. Truck stop in middle of the road 9 PM at night lucky there was a policeman behind us or a crash because I was setting in a totally darken truck or lights out. Replace battery wow
4. Rear window stop in the open position, had to replace the rear window.
Got more but will stop there enough said.
sorry you have had some issues with your 2019 ram
if you just came here to complain and bash ram
please don't
you should have had these issues fixed under warranty

Jako

Reaction score
I am sure the 2001 Ram had problems my 1978 150 didn't have.
Still running the 2001, 83,000 miles. For 22 1/2 years of ownership there have been maintenance performed as expected. Not happy with body rust but didn't have time back in the day to address the problem.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What I m
Wrong - original handle, no problem opening or closing. And it has been on the street for it's entire life but with a tonneau cover. Hasn't had that much use lately as it is the "dirty job" truck. Have used it to take 30+ truck loads (6-7 wheel barrows per load) of dirt and for concrete, gravel, fire wood and such. Great vehicle to have with the slush/snow and moving the snow blower around.
Want was 2001 Rams, or any year of that generation had issues. To include tailgate handle. Just because you didn't experience it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Your response is the same as telling the OP he must be wrong because you didn't have the same issues on your truck.

Jako

Reaction score
What I m

Want was 2001 Rams, or any year of that generation had issues. To include tailgate handle. Just because you didn't experience it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Your response is the same as telling the OP he must be wrong because you didn't have the same issues on your truck

"You can't say it doesn't exist on your 2001 RAM" emphasis on "your"
change it to "You can't say it doesn't exist on 2001 Rams"

Serenity Prayer

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"You can't say it doesn't exist on your 2001 RAM" emphasis on "your"
change it to "You can't say it doesn't exist on 2001 Rams"

Serenity Prayer
The potential still exists. Those plastic clips that hold the rods onto the handle are probably pretty brittle by now

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Still running the 2001, 83,000 miles. For 22 1/2 years of ownership there have been maintenance performed as expected. Not happy with body rust but didn't have time back in the day to address the problem.
And

recon

Reaction score
sorry you have had some issues with your 2019 ram
if you just came here to complain and bash ram
please don't
you should have had these issues fixed under warranty
So as long as people dont ***** about how screwed the ram truck is and how bad they Service is. you dont want the truth WOW

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So as long as people dont ***** about how screwed the ram truck is and how bad they Service is. you dont want the truth WOW
Honest question: Based on your response and your obvious disappointment/frustration with your truck and its service, why do you still have it? Why haven't you traded it for something else?

recon

Reaction score
who in there right mind would design a tailgate that is one of the most importer parts of a truck that cant be open or used without a key fab. Is a moron.
Honest question: Based on your response and your obvious disappointment/frustration with your truck and its service, why do you still have it? Why haven't you traded it for something else?
bECAUSE I dont want another paymeny or cash paid out for another truck at by age 79 yrs. But no has yet said anything about how screwed up this tailgate is. How would you feel if you needed to use the bed and cant open the tailgate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread