5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cant find MDS

Jowilly66

Reaction score
Hi. I have 2020 Laramie.
Am i supposed to see option in settings to turn on MDS?

THANKS

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi. I have 2020 Laramie.
Am i supposed to see option in settings to turn on MDS?

THANKS
MDS is on all the time unless you disable it every time you start the truck . As Richard320 said , you can turn on the ECO light so you know when you’re in 4cyl mode .

dinomufin

Reaction score
Is it possible my truck doesn't have MDS? I have no option to disable it and I've never seen the Eco light on road trips.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Is it possible my truck doesn't have MDS? I have no option to disable it and I've never seen the Eco light on road trips.

If you have a Hemi, you have MDS. There is no official option to disable it, but many do by setting their gear limit to 8, which gives you all 8 gears but prevents MDS operation. The gear limit button is on your steering wheel, lower right side (+ & -) buttons. This must be reset anytime you turn off the truck or have shift out of drive (such as from D to R, D to N, etc.)

To see the Eco light, you need to activate it on the options section on your Uconnect screen.

dinomufin

Reaction score
Do you have a V6?
If you have a Hemi, you have MDS. There is no official option to disable it, but many do by setting their gear limit to 8, which gives you all 8 gears but prevents MDS operation. The gear limit button is on your steering wheel, lower right side (+ & -) buttons. This must be reset anytime you turn off the truck or have shift out of drive (such as from D to R, D to N, etc.)

To see the Eco light, you need to activate it on the options section on your Uconnect screen.
Thank you, sir. Apparently the ECO light was disabled. When I turned it on, i was shocked at how often it comes on. Drove 3 hours home today and it was on half the time!

Will be using gear selector method from now on until someone makes an reliable hack for this. I buy things for the long-haul so I don't want to have to put a new motor in 200k miles from now.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score

Thank you, sir. Apparently the ECO light was disabled. When I turned it on, i was shocked at how often it comes on. Drove 3 hours home today and it was on half the time!

Will be using gear selector method from now on until someone makes an reliable hack for this. I buy things for the long-haul so I don't want to have to put a new motor in 200k miles from now.
Why do you think it'll damage your Hemi?

SD Rebel

Reaction score

Absolutely! The Eco light is off by default, most people don't notice the transition except those with aftermarket mufflers, which will drone in 4-cylinder mode.

MDS has been around a while, it shouldn't hurt durability in the long term if that's the only thing you are worried about. However, another way to shut it off is the Tow/Haul mode switch on your dash, it will also disable MDS operation.

dwalme

Reaction score

Man I wish I could be in ECO mode that frequently.

In your case why would you want to disable it. It has to be doing great things for your fuel mileage if it really is on that much.

And no it will not cause reduced durability too your engine.

Ramtrx

Reaction score
Buy a tuner and turn it off. That’s what I did. I get better mileage than most here I see. But I honestly could care less about gas mileage. It’s a truck for god sake.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
It seems to me, if it's been working and you were unaware that it was going in and out until you turned on the ECO indicator, that it's working perfectly. Instead of disabling it, shut the ECO light off again.
That's exactly what i told my Girlfriends husband when he caught us...

dinomufin

Reaction score
Agree: it's a truck, it's got the tow package, it's got 400hp, the off road package, electronic lockers, and a v8

and, more importantly, my wife and I have converted to full time work from home. We no longer put 500 miles a week on our vehicles commuting. All year we've only put 3k miles on the truck. Gas mileage is not a thing we need to worry about anymore. That's why we traded in a small mercedes crossover that got 30mpg for the Ram.

That's why my other car is a supercharged v8 station wagon with 600hp, 680ft lbs of torque (that still gets better MPG than my truck)

dinomufin

Reaction score
Man I wish I could be in ECO mode that frequently.

In your case why would you want to disable it. It has to be doing great things for your fuel mileage if it really is on that much.

And no it will not cause reduced durability too your engine.

Not really, I'm seeing 17.1mpg yesterday after a 3 hour trip. And that's the best I've ever seen. If the "cost" of disabling MDS is a mere ~3 mpg then it's not worth the long term risk to my engine. Every single youtube video I've watched about high-mileage hemis with MDS that have problems, the problems are almost always traced to the MDS. It's not that MDS eventually kills them all, it's just that the vast majority of high mileage motors that don't make it were killed by MDS. Just one risk I want to eliminate if I want to drive the truck for 200-300k.

Users who are viewing this thread