5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't decide on exhaust Borla S-Type or Awe 0fg for the 5.7L

Which exhaust should I get for my '19 Rebel.

• AWE 0fg

Votes: 18 72.0%
  • Borla S-Type

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters

Kujo

Reaction score
I've been looking around at exhausts, cause for how nice the truck is, it sounds like a minivan. I can't decide between the Borla S-type and AWE 0fg cause my friend who convinced me to get my Ram has a Borla S-Type on his 4th gen but I've seen videos of the AWE 0fg and I feel like it sounds better but I've never had the opportunity to hear it in person. Someone who's heard both in-person can u give any pointer/suggestions. Also, I live in a more urban setting so I can't have anything crazy loud so the S-type sounds quiet enough on start and idle, but I don't know about the AWE.

markdonahu3

Reaction score
I've been looking around at exhausts, cause for how nice the truck is, it sounds like a minivan. I can't decide between the Borla S-type and AWE 0fg cause my friend who convinced me to get my Ram has a Borla S-Type on his 4th gen but I've seen videos of the AWE 0fg and I feel like it sounds better but I've never had the opportunity to hear it in person. Someone who's heard both in-person can u give any pointer/suggestions. Also, I live in a more urban setting so I can't have anything crazy loud so the S-type sounds quiet enough on start and idle, but I don't know about the AWE.

Man I’m having this very same debate for the last two weeks. Endless hours of videos and different headphones, etc.

I’m equally as torn. The AWE sounds incredible but might shake and rattle the house when I fire this beast up in the garage in the AM and rattle the neighbors windows on my way out of the neighborhood.

Leaning toward the S-Type myself solely because it’s got that muscle rumble and let’s the HEMI sing but sounds bit more well-mannered than the AWE and less of that ATAK-style tone…if that makes sense.

Wish I could hear both in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kujo

Reaction score
Man I’m having this very same debate for the last two weeks. Endless hours of videos and different headphones, etc.

I’m equally as torn. The AWE sounds incredible but might shake and rattle the house when I fire this beast up in the garage in the AM and rattle the neighbors windows on my way out of the neighborhood.

Leaning toward the S-Type myself solely because it’s got that muscle rumble and let’s the HEMI sing but sounds bit more well-mannered than the AWE and less of that ATAK-style tone…if that makes sense.

Wish I could hear both in person.

Yeah, the only reason I would choose the S-Type is that it's more controlled and quiet for early morning cause I live in a pretty dense area. Hearing them in person would help me answer but no one around me that I know has the AWE they all have Borla. And videos can only portray so much the camera/recording device isn't the same across videos, the loudness isn't accurate, etc.

markdonahu3

Reaction score
Yeah, the only reason I would choose the S-Type is that it's more controlled and quiet for early morning cause I live in a pretty dense area. Hearing them in person would help me answer but no one around me that I know has the AWE they all have Borla. And videos can only portray so much the camera/recording device isn't the same across videos, the loudness isn't accurate, etc.

Agreed on the videos.

The only one I’ve heard in person is the Borla. Would love to hear the AWE to see if it’s truly as aggressively loud as it comes across in the videos and sound bites.

Tough choice especially with current prices. You hate to make any decision you regret but it stings a bit more when it costs you $1200+

I’ve got the same issue regarding residential area. I’ve already had the dumb HOA complain about the company car being parked in the street overnight. I’m sure these clowns would love nothing more than to start bitching and fining me over an excessive exhaust lol

Cajun_

Reaction score
i was told that the s type and awe and atak are all stupid loud in the morning. Basically zero difference in the cold start between atak and s type. Went with the awe because of the tip alignment issues with the s type. Im told its only a problem with the non atak borlas. I would also consider a carven exhaust. They sound neat too.

Look at me. Coming here and just giving you another option to pick from. Hahahahahahaha

markdonahu3

Reaction score
i was told that the s type and awe and atak are all stupid loud in the morning. Basically zero difference in the cold start between atak and s type. Went with the awe because of the tip alignment issues with the s type. Im told its only a problem with the non atak borlas. I would also consider a carven exhaust. They sound neat too.

Look at me. Coming here and just giving you another option to pick from. Hahahahahahaha

Hahahaha thankssssssss a lot for adding to the debate

The alignment concerns with the S-Type I have noted. The AWE does seem to fit up a bit nicer and tighter.

Man, I’d be better off throwing the names in a hat and having someone else pick one and just call me whenever it’s installed and I live with it.

Fml.

Nova90

Reaction score
The AWE factory is only about 20 minutes from my house. I was looking for an exhaust system and didn't even know they existed until I read a thread here about the exhaust. One of the folks over at AWE has the exhaust on his Ram 1500 and allowed me to drop by and listen to it in person. He was even nice enough to take me on a short drive so that I could hear it from the interior cabin. In short, it sounds awesome with a nice Hemi rumble on the outside and the inside was pretty darn close to sounding like a stock system as he ran it thru the gears. I was sold on the spot and setup an appointment for an installation...which is happening at their facility at the end of the month. I was very hesitant to buy something prior to actually hearing how it sounded in person. I drove myself crazy listening to every Borla and AWE video I could find on the internet. If you can listen to one for yourself, that's your best option. I will record the before and after on my iPhone when I have the installation done. There are just too many variables with the recording and sound quality without hearing it in person. I don't think you will be disappointed in the sound or fitment (I also heard a lot of issues with the Borla fitment and adjustability). My biggest stumbling block was the wait for AWE to get a set of black tips from their supplier.

AWE conversation thread is here:

Last edited:

Louhound88

Reaction score
I have the S type and I have to say it's not neighbor friendly in the morning lol. Cold starts are especially loud in the mornings.

I park outside my garage, and quickly learned that backing up to my garage door in the evenings meant super loud starts.

I never could find a video that gave a true idea how loud the S type was. It's much louder in person.

When driving it's very controlled and tame, until you step on it and it comes to life and is loud again.

Louhound88

Reaction score
I will say that the Borla exhausts all seem to be loud, but just differentiate in tone. The S type and Atak are equally loud, but the difference is the tone. The S type is very deep and aggressive sounding, but minimal pop and crackle.

The Atak is more aggressive in that it has more of a sport tone to it, more pops and crackles and overall more flashy sound. But the S type is very musical sounding.

markdonahu3

Reaction score
I have the S type and I have to say it's not neighbor friendly in the morning lol. Cold starts are especially loud in the mornings.

I park outside my garage, and quickly learned that backing up to my garage door in the evenings meant super loud starts.

I never could find a video that gave a true idea how loud the S type was. It's much louder in person.

When driving it's very controlled and tame, until you step on it and it comes to life and is loud again.

I back mine into my garage so this is helpful.

The neighbor that faces my garage has a 3 year old so I’d imagine that any of these options won’t be welcomed but suffice it to say, it won’t stop me from picking and installing one

I like the controlled/tame while cruising aspect and like you’d mentioned in your other comment, I’m looking for that deeper tone vs that crackle and sport pop.

markdonahu3

Reaction score
The AWE factory is only about 20 minutes from my house. I was looking for an exhaust system and didn't even know they existed until I read a thread here about the exhaust. One of the folks over at AWE has the exhaust on his Ram 1500 and allowed me to drop by and listen to it in person. He was even nice enough to take me on a short drive so that I could hear it from the interior cabin. In short, it sounds awesome with a nice Hemi rumble on the outside and the inside was pretty darn close to sounding like a stock system as he ran it thru the gears. I was sold on the spot and setup an appointment for an installation...which is happening at their facility at the end of the month. I was very hesitant to buy something prior to actually hearing how it sounded in person. I drove myself crazy listening to every Borla and AWE video I could find on the internet. If you can listen to one for yourself, that's your best option. I will record the before and after on my iPhone when I have the installation done. There are just too many variables with the recording and sound quality without hearing it in person. I don't think you will be disappointed in the sound or fitment (I also heard a lot of issues with the Borla fitment and adjustability). My biggest stumbling block was the wait for AWE to get a set of black tips from their supplier.

AWE conversation thread is here:

Quite jealous you’re that close in proximity. Wish I had that opportunity.

The more folks that chime in on their AWE experience, the more impressed I am by that system.

I didn’t mean to hijack this persons thread, so I apologize but do appreciate all the feedback I’m able to obtain.

Accessory.Parts

Reaction score
We have Borla's in stock ready to ship out as well as the Silver Tipped AWE's (Should have the black tip AWE back in stock by end of the month) Shoot me a PM and I can get you the forum discount on whichever you're interested in, maybe save you a bit ;)

Edit: We also can get Carven since that was added to the debate haha

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
AWE for sure(I had one of the first pre-production units). I had the Atak prior to the AWE and Borla's fit and finish is garbage, the tip adjustment is practically non existent while the AWE retains the factory style ball joint for easy adjustment. Sound wise the AWE is a little loud on cold start but its not nearly as loud as the Atak was and it mellows out pretty quickly. Inside the cab its almost like stock just cruising around but wakes up when you get on it. Lets put it this way... if AWE makes an exhaust for a vehicle I own then that is whats getting installed. I had it on my Mustang GT and the one for my 392 Challenger just showed up.

RamLink83

Reaction score
I had the Borla Touring first, but returned it after about a month due to warranty issues (Bad fitment: Muffler was was almost touching parts of the frame and the the tips, particularly the passenger side was impossible to center). Even the Touring was quite loud on start up and on acceleration. Replaced the Borla with the AWE and the cold start is louder, but not by much. Settles down pretty quickly. The AWE was surprisingly quieter in the cab than the Touring. The sound with the Borla seemed like the exhaust tips were at the cab, where the AWE sounds like it's coming from the rear where it actually is. Fitment goes to AWE as well. More pieces than the Borla, which makes it much easier to adjust, along with the donut style clamp on the tips.

Customer service with Borla is top notch though. Probably the best customer service I have ever dealt with. Haven't had to use AWEs customer service, so I can't comment on theirs as of now.

Louhound88

Reaction score
Yeah I have fitment issues with my S type. One hanger mount was welded onto the wrong place so the rubber bushing hanger is squeeze. Then the passenger side pipe touches my rear bump stop at times. Tips are fairly straight but just purely by chance, no way to really adjust anything so it's a matter of luck. I did talk to Borla about the issues and they said I could have it corrected at a local muffler shop and they'd reimburse, but life got in the way and I stopped caring pretty quick lol.

Sound wise there are some nice pops and crackles with the S type but only in certain conditions. Full throttle/high rpm shifts you'll get a nice triple crackle sound. And even when it switches from 4 cyl to 8cyl mode you'll sometimes get a bit of a crackle, sounds pretty cool when driving 30mph through city streets.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Borla S Type and while there have been many complaints about the fitment, a good installer can fix it for you. I installed my own and the muffler was touching the frame and the over-the-axle piping was touching the jounce bumper mount. I couldn't get the passenger tip aligned. I called multiple shops and they all wanted $100 to adjust. I went to one shop, the guy spent 10 minutes with a 4 foot crow bar, and got me all aligned for $20. The hangers are Borla's problem, but they can be adjusted if you know what you're doing.

The AWE seems like a nice system and I'm using older pricing, but I see the price of the AWE is about $450 more than I paid for my Borla.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
No question - AWE for sure. I have their system on mine and it's excellent. It's a nice, rich, deep tone under throttle and very quiet the highway with absolutely no drone. The only time I even slightly hear it is when MDS kicks in. I've had exhaust on all my trucks but none have ever sounded this good. I've been a Corsa man for a long time but this system changed my mind.

markdonahu3

Reaction score
We have Borla's in stock ready to ship out as well as the Silver Tipped AWE's (Should have the black tip AWE back in stock by end of the month) Shoot me a PM and I can get you the forum discount on whichever you're interested in, maybe save you a bit ;)

Edit: We also can get Carven since that was added to the debate haha

PM sent.

Man, thank you to ALL you guys and gals for the feedback. Reading these reviews to complement the endless hours of audio and videos, it’s helping tremendously.

This forum as a whole has been a big help as I’ve started to add to my truck. I only recently joined but the responsiveness and the willingness to help is much appreciated.

Like I said, I’m gonna back off here as I don’t want to hijack this guys posting and request for help but wanted to say thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread