5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you upgrade from the tow mirrors to the power fold and also add the surround view camera system to the Limited 1500?

dLawson

Reaction score
I fell in love with this vehicle and bought one assuming that they all had the 360 surround view and power fold mirrors. I had test drove 2 Ram Limited 1500 and they had this equipment so when I found one in the color that I liked I bought it. I made a huge mistake, out of my excitement to have a brand new 2019 Ram 1500 Limited I didn't realize that it had the tow mirrors and only the back up camera. I was so upset and pissed that Ram would actually remove the 360 cam surround view and power fold when the tow mirrors are the option. If anyone has any info on if this can be added or upgraded please let me know. Please no haters stating that I should have checked all the details before I bought the truck, I know that and it was my mistake. I'm trying to get the options that I really wanted most and had assumed were included. Thanks!!

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are a few discussion threads on this in the exterior mods section.

No one has successfully done it.

Need mirrors, control modules, driver door switch, front camera and harness and reprogram of pcm.

dLawson

Reaction score
There are a few discussion threads on this in the exterior mods section.

No one has successfully done it.

Need mirrors, control modules, driver door switch, front camera and harness and reprogram of pcm.

Can it be done or is it a matter of costing to much or not possible to add after the fact? I've called two dealerships and one says yes that it would cost over $4000 to change and the other said that the front cam is not available as a part yet to even order.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Can it be done or is it a matter of costing to much or not possible to add after the fact? I've called two dealerships and one says yes that it would cost over $4000 to change and the other said that the front cam is not available as a part yet to even order.
4 grand? Yikes.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score

No one knows for sure. All speculation so far. Also requires sales code to be added to your vin but no one has confirmed whether FCA will allow it.

$4,000 sounds about right LOL. To mount the camera you probably have to remove the entire grill. To do that you have to remove part of the fender flares and front fascia. This is a ***** to remove. Then factor in routing of wiring and numerous sales codes.

Furthest anyone has gotten was ability to adjust the mirrors. No power folding, no heat, no dimming.
I just paid $70 for a plastic mirror cover on eBay lol.

Last edited:

RBRK

Reaction score
The last person that was trying to do what you want said it was $2000 for everything. That still seems high to me. The mirrors alone are probably no more than $800 for both retail, the modules and switch maybe 3-400 and the front camera? I have no idea but still doubt it’s 2 grand. He never posted after, so nobody knows if it worked or not. Still I don’t see $2000 not alone 4000. I like the tow mirrors myself, but I tow a big trailer. The surround view camera is a novelty in my opinion, you show it off to your friends when it’s new and hardly use it again. I could care less if I can see a Birdseye view of the lines in the parking lot, oh look, it’s my truck from above! Who cares.? The park sense works good enough for me , a front camera would be great if you need to park close in your garage, but I’m sure you have gone this long without it and can continue to. Unless you need the power folding mirrors, I have a hard time justifying even $1500 myself.

I do agree they screwed up not making a tow mirror with a camera after 10 years since the last body style. It’s quite an embarrassment for Ram in my opinion. Then again, I think the whole company is messed up, but I like Ram trucks and have owned a lot of them. GM and Ford ? Well.................That’s another story.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
The last person that was trying to do what you want said it was $2000 for everything. That still seems high to me. The mirrors alone are probably no more than $800 for both retail, the modules and switch maybe 3-400 and the front camera? I have no idea but still doubt it’s 2 grand. He never posted after, so nobody knows if it worked or not. Still I don’t see $2000 not alone 4000. I like the tow mirrors myself, but I tow a big trailer. The surround view camera is a novelty in my opinion, you show it off to your friends when it’s new and hardly use it again. I could care less if I can see a Birdseye view of the lines in the parking lot, oh look, it’s my truck from above! Who cares.? The park sense works good enough for me , a front camera would be great if you need to park close in your garage, but I’m sure you have gone this long without it and can continue to. Unless you need the power folding mirrors, I have a hard time justifying even $1500 myself.

I do agree they screwed up not making a tow mirror with a camera after 10 years since the last body style. It’s quite an embarrassment for Ram in my opinion. Then again, I think the whole company is messed up, but I like Ram trucks and have owned a lot of them. GM and Ford ? Well.................That’s another story.

Agree on most points, except the 360 deg camera being a ‘novelty’. Not even remotely close. Very useful. Use it daily and have had them in my last three vehicles.

Cheers,

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
What do you use it for? Parking?
Yep, mirrors are primary, but the 360 catches all the blind spots (and great for saving wheels from curb rash =) . Once I used it I could be without if I can help it.

dLawson

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I hope someone reports that it can be done and for around $1500 or less. I have a very tight garage and park in a parking structure often. Not used to driving a truck this size used to an SUV that is smaller and I can see over the hood. I'm so afraid I'm going to hit something or get to close just trying to park. If anyone hears of a dealership that has the info on this project please let me know. Thanks again for all the replies.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Realistically I think the only hope will be infotainment. But last time I checked their site, everything was sold out so even if they come out with something it seems like they only have limited runs.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The surround view camera is a novelty in my opinion, you show it off to your friends when it’s new and hardly use it again. I could care less if I can see a Birdseye view of the lines in the parking lot, oh look, it’s my truck from above! Who cares.? The park sense works good enough for me , .
I tend to agree. Park sense works well and is always active. 360 view works in reverse but must be turned on when going forward, which is something I never remember to do.

I hope you can enjoy your truck as it is, sense so far there are no factory solutions Your best bet may be the after market.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I tend to agree. Park sense works well and is always active. 360 view works in reverse but must be turned on when going forward, which is something I never remember to do.

I hope you can enjoy your truck as it is, sense so far there are no factory solutions Your best bet may be the after market.
Yeah, but sometimes (a lot of times actually), like SpeedyV mentioned, it's very useful in the drive-tru to avoid hitting curbs on the passenger side on tight turns. Park sense is useless on those situations. Without 360, you're bound to scrape the wheels.

Cheers,

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, but sometimes (a lot of times actually), like SpeedyV mentioned, it's very useful in the drive-tru to avoid hitting curbs on the passenger side on tight turns. Park sense is useless on those situations. Without 360, you're bound to scrape the wheels.

Cheers,

18” rims are good for hitting curbs lol.

19RebelZ

Reaction score
I don’t understand why they come on the HD models sans the 360 camera. It’s in the parts bin?????? I would think the powerfold on the tow mirrors are more “ practical” than the standard mirrors. IMO

dLawson

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a way to contact Ram truck engineers to see if they can answer this question? I'd like to see if they have an option in the works or if this will or will not work at all. That would save me time trying to research something if it's not even possible.

Old Ray

Reaction score
Hum, I to got blinded by the new paint smell and assumed that the trailer tow mirrors were power fold, (dumb a$$ me). It would not be such a big deal if I hadn't bought a new storage tent without checking the width. (double dumb a$$). Have to fold the mirrors every-time I use it. I took my Limited in to my local dealer today, (not the selling dealer), for a recall with the hope that the sales manger who had quoted me a price (to high) of not seeing me, it didn't work, I got caught. I had lot of explain'in to do but was pleasantly surprised by his response, he handled it a lot better then I would have and asked that next time I give him another chance. I think another option or solution to my and your problem although not the cheapest (not sure there is one) would be to find a friendly understanding dealer (the selling one or the one that didn't get the sale) and see if they will allow a trade with a minimal difference in consideration of future business ? Slightly their fault, under satisfied customer service.

Old Ray

Reaction score
I think another option or solution to my and your problem although not the cheapest would be to find a friendly understanding dealer.

There is NO such thing! Short update under the heading of putting my money were my mouth is. Talked to my local dealer, he is going to get back to me , that was two weeks ago. Searched with great difficulty FCA inventory, found two, one is in transit but is a long box, not sure about that, the other one showed in stock but had been dealer transferred. I think the truck (or money) gods are trying to protect me from myself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/