5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can WDH really offload portion of hitch weight to the travel trailer axle?

rtslab

Reaction score
I have heard people debating this for years. Does people actually have proof a WDH can offload portion of hitch weight to the travel tailer axle? I was always told WDH can only move the hitch weight from rear axle of towing truck to the front axle of towing truck. It will not offload (porton of )hitch weight back the travel trailer axle. Is this true? Thanks!

Rocsolid

Reaction score
A portion will be moved to the travel trailer. There is a video on youtube showing it as they weigh the truck and trailer all hooked up.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It definitely moves weight to both the front axles and the trailer axles. You just need a cat scale and/or a measuring tape to prove it.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I first got my TT, I weighed in once with and without WDH to see how it would distribute.

This was with a basically empty trailer, but you can see the WDH took 500 lbs off the rear axle and redistributed 360 lbs to the vehicle front axle and 140 lbs back to the trailer axles.

Attachments

• 06503216-4C38-4600-AA6B-CB2F0FC63944.jpeg
    06503216-4C38-4600-AA6B-CB2F0FC63944.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 24DE3FD7-B8E4-4AAF-8642-B8F228B25EB7.jpeg
    24DE3FD7-B8E4-4AAF-8642-B8F228B25EB7.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 73

rtslab

Reaction score
When I first got my TT, I weighed in once with and without WDH to see how it would distribute.

This was with a basically empty trailer, but you can see the WDH took 500 lbs off the rear axle and redistributed 360 lbs to the vehicle front axle and 140 lbs back to the trailer axles.
This is great data! I have seen people always count all the hitch weight as part of the truck payload and your data just shows the truth is only larger portion(~70%) of hitch weight goes to the vehicle front axle and smnall portion(~30%) actually goes back to the trailer axles. Thank you for sharing!

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
This is great data! I have seen people always count all the hitch weight as part of the truck payload and your data just shows the truth is only larger portion(~70%) of hitch weight goes to the vehicle front axle and smnall portion(~30%) actually goes back to the trailer axles. Thank you for sharing!

Yep, this is the only reason I can legally tow my trailer with a half ton. Without the WDH the truck is over GVWR and the rear axle is overweight. Trailer has scaled between 7100-7800 lbs depending on length of trip and if we have to carry water or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just to clarify. In IvoryHemi’s example, his total tongue weight was 1180. Of that, 140 was transferred to the trailer axles, or about 12%.

rtslab

Reaction score
Just to clarify. In IvoryHemi’s example, his total tongue weight was 1180. Of that, 140 was transferred to the trailer axles, or about 12%.
Thanks for correction! Yep, with WDH, 30% of tongue weight goes to towing vehicle's front axle, 58% stays with towing vehicle's rear axle and 12% goes to travel trailer's axles.

ClancyO

Reaction score
Fwiw, most wdh are adjustable so these percentages can vary. I moved 200 lbs off the rear axle just by adding a washer to my hitch (forcing spring bars down, adding more tension).

rtslab

Reaction score
Fwiw, most wdh are adjustable so these percentages can vary. I moved 200 lbs off the rear axle just by adding a washer to my hitch (forcing spring bars down, adding more tension).
Wow, that is really nice to know. Mind taking a picture of yourt hitch with washer to see how the washer is positioned? I have am Equalizer WDH and wonder if I can do the same. Thanks!

HAL9001

Reaction score
I previously owned an Ascent SUV. The manufacturer does not allow the use of a WDH on that vehicle because the weight distribution overstresses the unibody. I gave up on that vehicle for towing and purchased a RAM 1500.

Users who are viewing this thread