5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can the Tazer DT enable tow package?

Frozenwater

Reaction score
I was able to source the kit on ebay, and I have a tazer dt on the way,
I'm sure I saw someone mention the dt can enable tow package, but now I dont see it in the tazer page.

Can anyone confirm? Or am I still paying dodge.

Thanks

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was able to source the kit on ebay, and I have a tazer dt on the way,
I'm sure I saw someone mention the dt can enable tow package, but now I dont see it in the tazer page.

Can anyone confirm? Or am I still paying dodge.

Thanks
What do you mean by "enable the tow package"? What year and model is your truck? The tow package is mostly equipment related. What exactly are you trying to enable?

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
no, alphaobd is cheaper too, and can do it if you have added the brake controller.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think that is just to tell it to remember tow mode, it does not mention actually enabling the add on :(
Under vehicle features, it would be enable/disable trailer tow settings. Keep in mind, the integrated trailer brake will work by simply installing it. You just want the settings to show up in the radio. If it was referring to remembering the last state of tow/haul mode, it would have to be a live function, because that can not be achieved by changing vehicle settings.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes it can, as that's what I used. But you have to download the 18.06 beta firmware for it to work.

As for AlphaOBD, yes it would work as well, but it's a multi step process hoping you find the correct options to change. The Tazer is a singlenootikn that gives all the trailer brake controller features.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Under vehicle features, it would be enable/disable trailer tow settings. Keep in mind, the integrated trailer brake will work by simply installing it. You just want the settings to show up in the radio. If it was referring to remembering the last state of tow/haul mode, it would have to be a live function, because that can not be achieved by changing vehicle settings.
It may "work" by just installing it, but you lose any adjustability for the gain setting

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It may "work" by just installing it, but you lose any adjustability for the gain setting
Using the plus and minus on the switch will adjust the gain, but that’s not the reason I mentioned that. It’s because tazer’s instructions are a little bit worse than the instructions you get with ikea furniture, so I was trying to put in perspective that some of the settings say “for when you add or remove..”, but the trailer tow settings doesn’t actually make the hardware work, it just puts the settings in the radio.

Frozenwater

Reaction score
40 minutes to install it, tazer dt should be here this week, will update as I figure it out :)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Using the plus and minus on the switch will adjust the gain, but that’s not the reason I mentioned that. It’s because tazer’s instructions are a little bit worse than the instructions you get with ikea furniture, so I was trying to put in perspective that some of the settings say “for when you add or remove..”, but the trailer tow settings doesn’t actually make the hardware work, it just puts the settings in the radio.
I beg to differ. Installed trailer brake controller on my truck, used TazerDT to enable it, and have full functionality as if it was installed at factory.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I beg to differ. Installed trailer brake controller on my truck, used TazerDT to enable it, and have full functionality as if it was installed at factory.
I’m not quite sure what you are begging to differ with. I was the first one in this thread to let the OP know that the tazer can enable the settings for the trailer brake controller. I’m not disputing that you were also able to use TazerDT to have the brake controller function as if it was factory installed.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not quite sure what you are begging to differ with. I was the first one in this thread to let the OP know that the tazer can enable the settings for the trailer brake controller. I’m not disputing that you were also able to use TazerDT to have the brake controller function as if it was factory installed.
Because your reply was about as confusing as you make the TazerDT I structikns out to be. You had said that just installing the brake controller will allow it to work, and I countered that it won't work properly as you can't adjust it unless you get the truck programmed for it. Then you said the Tazer doesn't make the hardware work, but in actuality, it does allow the hardware to work as it's supposed to, and not just basic on/off braking you would get without programming.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Because your reply was about as confusing as you make the TazerDT I structikns out to be. You had said that just installing the brake controller will allow it to work, and I countered that it won't work properly as you can't adjust it unless you get the truck programmed for it. Then you said the Tazer doesn't make the hardware work, but in actuality, it does allow the hardware to work as it's supposed to, and not just basic on/off braking you would get without programming.
I apologize if you got confused. I think the OP should be all squared away by now.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wasnt confused because I know how it works
I’ll rephrase:
I apologize if I confused you (or anyone else). I have a pretty good handle on how all the modules and communication systems work on all the FCA vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/