5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can the hemi run on e15?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Biden it trying to get the epa to authorize e15 gas at the pump instead of e10 to “help”with the prices. I think it’s a bad idea, but can we even run this without ruining our engines? I’m sure the mpg will suffer.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All gasoline powered cars and trucks produced since 2001 can run on up to e15. It's not ideal, but it shouldn't hurt anything in a vehicle that used regularly. I wouldn't fill my tank with it if I was planning on storing my truck for any length of time though. There is some fear that manufacturer's may void warranties if gas containing more than 10% ethanol is used. I'm sure it's spelled out in our owners manual or warranty information. And you're right, mpg will suffer a little.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As stated above, not ideal. But not insurmountable. If the TRX can handle it, then the peasant 5.7L Hemi can as well. :D

1649805720830.png

blue_by_you

Reaction score
it is safe for like 90% or more of the cars on the road. drive your vehicle like people are doing now instead of letting it sit and collect dust forever and there is no concern. there were debunked "studies" years and years ago about how bad E15 was and it caused a divide in peoples opinions on it but the truth is it had no discernable impact to the safety/longevity or drivability of regularly driven vehicles. heck they even tested E30 and found the cost per mile to E15 was comparable.

for anyone else that has performance cars and running E85.......you know the benefits! E15 is nothing!

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
All gasoline powered cars and trucks produced since 2001 can run on up to e15. It's not ideal, but it shouldn't hurt anything in a vehicle that used regularly. I wouldn't fill my tank with it if I was planning on storing my truck for any length of time though. There is some fear that manufacturer's may void warranties if gas containing more than 10% ethanol is used. I'm sure it's spelled out in our owners manual or warranty information. And you're right, mpg will suffer a little.

It is spelled out, Always read your owners manual. But our ram trucks can run up to e15

no mpg doesn’t suffer, I’ve been running it for a while now in my truck and other car. And my truck sits for weeks at a time in the winter, no issues. It runs better than 87 and is cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grimgreg

Reaction score
The main issue from running more ethanol is the heat generated is higher. If the engine isn't designed to handle it, then major issues can occur.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
From my manual

5.7L Engine
Do not use E-85 flex fuel or ethanol blends greater than 15% in this engine.

I wonder how it would run tho. Will it ping and run like cr@p? Will the ecu put even more timing? Hope I never have to find out

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
50% more ethanol is absolutely going to negativity impact mpg

There is already a long thread about this, pretty sure you commented in it, with several people verifying it doesn’t affect mpg going from your normal 10% e blend to 15% e blend. And those who say it does have a negative impact never tried it for a long period of time.

15% e (88 octane) is also about $0.68 cheaper than mid grade and runs similar, so even if there was a slight impact, the cost savings still out weigh it.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
From my manual

5.7L Engine
Do not use E-85 flex fuel or ethanol blends greater than 15% in this engine.

I wonder how it would run tho. Will it ping and run like cr@p? Will the ecu put even more timing? Hope I never have to find out

Yes it will run like crap and could harm your engine since it doesn’t have the sensors.

You can buy a flex fuel conversion for these trucks, it’s basically an inline fuel sensor, since the injectors, and fuel pump can handle it. And you instantly pick up 30ish hp by running e-85. But the kit is around $1000.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is already a long thread about this, pretty sure you commented in it, with several people verifying it doesn’t affect mpg going from your normal 10% e blend to 15% e blend. And those who say it does have a negative impact never tried it for a long period of time.

15% e (88 octane) is also about $0.68 cheaper than mid grade and runs similar, so even if there was a slight impact, the cost savings still out weigh it.

Will it run noticeably different? No
Will it reduce fuel efficiency? Yes

Price difference between E10 and E15 varies by region. If you can get it $0.68/g cheaper then that would absolutely offset the lower mpg.

Around here (Chicago area) E15 is only $0.05/g cheaper

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes it will run like crap and could harm your engine since it doesn’t have the sensors.

You can buy a flex fuel conversion for these trucks, it’s basically an inline fuel sensor, since the injectors, and fuel pump can handle it. And you instantly pick up 30ish hp by running e-85. But the kit is around $1000.

I'll probably just stay away from it if at all possible. Hope we never have to find out.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
I think you’re misunderstanding something.

E15 also called E88 is NOT the same as E85

E85 is mostly ethanol and is the yellow handle at the pump, and you need a flex fuel vehicle or a conversion kit to run it.

E15 is 15% ethanol and pretty much any modern vehicle can run it. It’s 88 octane. It will do your vehicle zero harm, as your manual states you can run it. In some areas it’s much cheaper than 89 mid grade and runs similar.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Will it run noticeably different? No
Will it reduce fuel efficiency? Yes

Price difference between E10 and E15 varies by region. If you can get it $0.68/g cheaper then that would absolutely offset the lower mpg.

Around here (Chicago area) E15 is only $0.05/g cheaper

How many tanks of it have you ran through to come to these conclusions?

It runs about the same as 89 with less pinging under load than using 87.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also to note, there are only about 2300 stations or so that sell E15. You'll have to look for it. I think there is one gas station near me that carries it but Costco 87 is still cheaper, and a top tier gas.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Also to note, there are only about 2300 stations or so that sell E15. You'll have to look for it. I think there is one gas station near me that carries it but Costco 87 is still cheaper, and a top tier gas.
Huh. Seems pretty common around here. But I don’t use it.

Users who are viewing this thread