5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can replacement rear coil springs increase cargo capacity?

fxdrider

Reaction score
I've seen several vendors carry replacement rear coil springs, with 0" lift. The choices I've seen are 2058 lb capacity and 2480 lb capacity. Are either of these ratings greater than what the factory springs are rated? And if so, would the greater than factory rating increase the vehicle's cargo capacity?

Ken2021Etorque

Reaction score
Install air bags helps with squatting and sagging

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
See...here is the thing...the RAM 1500 is rated to 7100 GVWR...mainly because of the brakes.

So when you increase a capacity and go over 7100...you adversely affect your stopping and turning.

But...the aftermarket loves snake oil.

fxdrider

Reaction score
See...here is the thing...the RAM 1500 is rated to 7100 GVWR...mainly because of the brakes.

So when you increase a capacity and go over 7100...you adversely affect your stopping and turning.

But...the aftermarket loves snake oil.
That's kind of what I was wondering. Thinking there just may be other factors besides springs that determine cargo capacity. Excellent point. Thanks.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's kind of what I was wondering. Thinking there just may be other factors besides springs that determine cargo capacity. Excellent point. Thanks.
The axle ratings are 3900 front and 4100 rear...for 8000lbs. If there was no other "weak link" they would just rate them the full 8000.

Plenty of people buy into these upgrades. But I am a firm believer in following the capacities.

I can overload a 2x4 and for many days it will hold the weight...then...crack.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
Something to also think about, higher spring rate, rougher the ride. Especially in the rear when empty. Air bags will help when loaded without the rough ride empty. I used Air Lift on my old pick up, great product.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

It’s not the brakes. Ram has the biggest brakes in the 1/2 ton class with 14.9” front/ 14.8” rear

F-150 has smaller brakes with higher GVWR/GCWR

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well. The reason the 5thgen was able to go from 6900 to 7100 in all their press releases where going to the larger brakes with the 6lug axles. So yes. Not just the brakes. But it sure isnt suspension that is keeping it at 7100

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Very interesting. I’d like to get one of those Ram 1500s with 7800 GVWR.

Also for 2022 the F150 has at least one flavor of their power boost hybrid truck rated at 7300 GVWR. The hybrid package is quite heavy.
Yeah...how did we miss the 7800 package. Ha. All the research we have done and we left this one get right by us.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s just misplaced. It’s F-150 that has the 7,800 lb GVWR with the HDPP option.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sure, adding extra or overload rear leafs definately increases cargo capacity.
I had an 84' Ranger that sagged when I was hauling firewood, so I went down to the auto parts store and got a set of 1000# generic overloads. Clamped those puppies on and that truck could sure carry a lot of firewood!

Course I ended up selling it a few months later after the transmission was slipping, the tires were wearing funny and the rear end was making noise but I sure had a lot of payload capacity for a 1/4T pickup!

"Built Ferd tough."

Users who are viewing this thread