5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I confirm, do I really need running boards/steps in order to prevent rear fender rock chips?

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hopefully true. However, you won't know if there is any paint damage until you remove them and inspect behind it. Of course that will require remove and installing new 3M tape.
No reason to ever remove them. I assume you are speaking from experience, as well.

ramhead

Reaction score
Hopefully true. However, you won't know if there is any paint damage until you remove them and inspect behind it. Of course that will require remove and installing new 3M tape.

This exactly...... yes, I meant the paint/clearcoat underneath the mud flaps and around the edges. All flaps without PPF on the edges will do this to some extent (it happened on my old truck) ....but the OEM's will wind up being even worse because they extend almost 1.5" onto the fender painted surfaces. Small sand/dirt/salt particles will eventually get between the plastic piece that fits over the paint and act like sandpaper between the two. Again, it may not be a big deal to you if you don't care and it's hidden (but I've also noticed it on the immediate outside edges of flap/paint - the flaps are still going to flex & move slightly due to road wind shear/force in motion).....the other major issue with the OEMs are that they are debris collectors in the pockets which cakes up (even if you drill a drain hole) over time and leaves small rocks, dirt, salt, etc. in said pockets. There was another thread here somewhere about mud flap/paint issues...I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: I know I saw something about the Mopar OEM flap damage somewhere...either here or another site but for the time being....here is link to a site discussing the problem w/photos with another make:

Here's a Dodge/Ram reference to them:

Here's a vid showing the exact issues (around 4 minute mark for flaps off):

Last edited:

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This exactly......sorry for the late response but , yes, I meant the paint/clearcoat underneath the mud flaps and around the edges. All flaps without PPF on the edges will do this to some extent (it happened on my old truck) ....but the OEM's will wind up being even worse because they extend almost 1.5" onto the fender painted surfaces. Small sand/dirt/salt particles will eventually get between the plastic piece that fits over the paint and act like sandpaper between the two. Again, it may not be a big deal to you if you don't care and it's hidden (but I've also noticed it on the immediate outside edges of flap/paint - the flaps are still going to flex & move slightly due to road wind shear/force in motion).....the other major issue with the OEMs are that they are debris collectors in the pockets which cakes up (even if you drill a drain hole) over time and leaves small rocks, dirt, salt, etc. in said pockets. There was another thread here somewhere about mud flap/paint issues...I'll see if I can find it.
The newer (mine purchased last September) do have drain holes in the bottom. They do collect debris and have to be washed out, though. I am careful to wash them out each time I wash the truck.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is why I ALWAYS will have flaps and step bars/running boards on my trucks! This ppf racket amazes me. Does it work? Absolutely, but the price is stupid overinflated for nothing more than clear vinyl, this ppf film guys is really nothing special.

Actually it's much more advanced than clear vinyl. It's UV resistant, self healing, and the newer films have a hydrophobic top coat (similar to ceramic coating) for durability.

You're not paying for the film, you're paying for install. It's extremely labour intensive to be done properly. To do the hood on my Ram took a professional shop several hours. They said it was extremely difficult due to the size and the amount of curves.

GraniteRam

Reaction score
I was quoted $900 for PPF in the areas likely to get hit by rocks from my front tires. I decided on $45 Husky front mud flaps instead. They are over a inch lower than either WT or Mopar mud flaps, and seem to be doing a great job so far.

I may eventually go with Go Rhino RB20 steps in the future, but I honestly don't like the way steps look on the truck. With my truck toolbox and bed rack system in place, there is just too many accessories sticking out around my truck, I think the side steps will take it over the edge visually.

You can do this yourself for like $150. Two 9"x8' rolls of Xpel is $132 and then a squeegee and some product to make your slip solution. Rocker panels would be super easy to do since their flat panels. Only time consuming part would be making templates for the areas you want to cover.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had my front end done for about $875 with SunteK PPF, has a 10 year warranty. The lower rockers a have a crease right in the middle that can make applying the film pretty tough from what I've heard.

Pallman

Reaction score
I've searched this quite a bit and got some good tips, but not enough to make the decision.

Mainly because of the design of the RAM, wide rear hips and the Rebels large tires, that rocks thrown up from the front tires will chip up the rear fender over time. I know this is also true for Limited and other models with painted fender flares. The black plastic flares on the Rebel doesn't worry me, but the painted metal around them does.

I wanted to avoid adding running boards because my truck already looks a bit "busy" with my tool box and bed rack, I don't want to tack on another exterior thing if I can avoid it.

So my question is, is it possible to just run a front mud flap / splash guard to protect my rear fender and rockers. Such as the factory, Weathertech, Etc. Or do I honestly need to just buy a set of runnings boards in order to protect my rear fenders and rockers?
I know what you're talking about with a "BUSY Ram. Adding running boards, Nerf bars, etc., makes it look down right clumsy. You can probably solve your concerns with Mudguards/flaps, if you get some that extend low enough. Most Mudguards DON'T, on a lifted truck, but some mudFLAPS like the original Toyota (Tacoma) had (as OEM) extended several extra inches.
Measure whoevers Mudguards vertically and then FLAPS to see if you can add extra vertical inches.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know what you're talking about with a "BUSY Ram. Adding running boards, Nerf bars, etc., makes it look down right clumsy. You can probably solve your concerns with Mudguards/flaps, if you get some that extend low enough. Most Mudguards DON'T, on a lifted truck, but some mudFLAPS like the original Toyota (Tacoma) had (as OEM) extended several extra inches.
Measure whoevers Mudguards vertically and then FLAPS to see if you can add extra vertical inches.

Thanks man, update is I purchased the Husky front mud guards. They are over an inch lower than either WT or Mopar flaps. They look really good, don't ride (or scratch) the factory fenders and so far seem to be doing the job!

Winston Hamm

Reaction score
I've searched this quite a bit and got some good tips, but not enough to make the decision.

Mainly because of the design of the RAM, wide rear hips and the Rebels large tires, that rocks thrown up from the front tires will chip up the rear fender over time. I know this is also true for Limited and other models with painted fender flares. The black plastic flares on the Rebel doesn't worry me, but the painted metal around them does.

I wanted to avoid adding running boards because my truck already looks a bit "busy" with my tool box and bed rack, I don't want to tack on another exterior thing if I can avoid it.

So my question is, is it possible to just run a front mud flap / splash guard to protect my rear fender and rockers. Such as the factory, Weathertech, Etc. Or do I honestly need to just buy a set of runnings boards in order to protect my rear fenders and rockers?
I had full running boards on my dually and paint stayed fresh. I took them off, and in just a few months the front dual fender and a ton of spots all along the rocker panels were chipped up. I had the paint fixed and the boards put back on. No chips since reinstallation. Granted I have to drive on gravel roads a lot.

1guyandtools

Reaction score

I have mud flaps and running boards and I started to have chips on the front of the rear flares. Installed some cleargaurd and no more chips. Bought the cleargaurd in bulk and put it on the door sill plate area also.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have mud flaps and running boards and I started to have chips on the front of the rear flares. Installed some cleargaurd and no more chips. Bought the cleargaurd in bulk and put it on the door sill plate area also.

I now have mud flaps and factory running boards, so far been really happy with them. I see based on your results, the rear flares are still exposed, but any hits on the bed just ahead of the flares?

I have a Rebel with the non-painted flares, so rocks don't worry me, but the paint on the lower bed does.

mac1983620

Reaction score

I have Husky splash guards, and just installed my running boards last night. I drive on gravel quite a bit and can 100% tell you that your sides will get chipped up without running boards.

1guyandtools

Reaction score
I now have mud flaps and factory running boards, so far been really happy with them. I see based on your results, the rear flares are still exposed, but any hits on the bed just ahead of the flares?

I have a Rebel with the non-painted flares, so rocks don't worry me, but the paint on the lower bed does.
Yep, I did put some clearshield just ahead of the flres on the box side. About 8x8 or so. Fit it between the bodylines in that area

Keyz55

Reaction score
Mud flaps are MUCH cheaper than PPF and do a very good job of protection of the fenders/rockers (esp.when considering the cost to value vs PPF)....only, don't use the Mopar OEM flaps unless you want the paint scratched down to almost the primer behind the piece (about 1.5" wide) that covers the fender/flare edge. I can't believe Mopar came up with/allowed this moronic design that not only covers up a good portion of the painted fender/flare but also results in damage to the underlying finish underneath....although, with other moves I've seen, maybe I can believe it.
I hear ya man did the flaps help ?I’m about to get 24-25” flaps my rear fender on moth sides is all ****ed up from road dirt and snow/ice

Attachments

• 86E02A24-2712-4E85-BC63-8B9A8BE4A5B6.jpeg
    86E02A24-2712-4E85-BC63-8B9A8BE4A5B6.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 28
  • F964DD10-B79A-451B-A020-151B25D1DFFE.jpeg
    F964DD10-B79A-451B-A020-151B25D1DFFE.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 28

Users who are viewing this thread