5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I confirm, do I really need running boards/steps in order to prevent rear fender rock chips?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've searched this quite a bit and got some good tips, but not enough to make the decision.

Mainly because of the design of the RAM, wide rear hips and the Rebels large tires, that rocks thrown up from the front tires will chip up the rear fender over time. I know this is also true for Limited and other models with painted fender flares. The black plastic flares on the Rebel doesn't worry me, but the painted metal around them does.

I wanted to avoid adding running boards because my truck already looks a bit "busy" with my tool box and bed rack, I don't want to tack on another exterior thing if I can avoid it.

So my question is, is it possible to just run a front mud flap / splash guard to protect my rear fender and rockers. Such as the factory, Weathertech, Etc. Or do I honestly need to just buy a set of runnings boards in order to protect my rear fenders and rockers?

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the weathertech mudflaps on my truck and the power running boards and with the A/S street tires (22") after 14,000 miles I am happy to report that there are not any significant chips on my painted flares. PPF is your best bet though...

50Front

Reaction score
I have the weathertech mud flaps and fixed running boards. My rear flares have no damage after 12k miles. The mudflaps only protect a foot or two behind the wheel. I got them just to keep mud and slush off the running boards. The running board protect the sides and help with parking lot damage.
So you either need a much longer mudflap then weathertech or put on fixed running boards or do the paint protection film.

wwalljr

Reaction score
PPF ( paint protection film ) is your absolute best defense against rock chips. period.

X2. I have boards but had 3M PPF installed also as the boards aren’t entirely effective against damage.

ramhead

Reaction score
Mud flaps are MUCH cheaper than PPF and do a very good job of protection of the fenders/rockers (esp.when considering the cost to value vs PPF)....only, don't use the Mopar OEM flaps unless you want the paint scratched down to almost the primer behind the piece (about 1.5" wide) that covers the fender/flare edge. I can't believe Mopar came up with/allowed this moronic design that not only covers up a good portion of the painted fender/flare but also results in damage to the underlying finish underneath....although, with other moves I've seen, maybe I can believe it.

Senior Chief

Reaction score
Did anyone apply the PPF them self or have it done.
I'm thinking of adding it because i have power running boards and was also thinking of adding it to the front of the truck.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm thinking of adding it because i have power running boards and was also thinking of adding it to the front of the truck.

I haven't yet, but I have it in the garage to attempt soon.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yes, I had my shop that tinted/PPF'd do the rear flares and while they were at it they did the rocker panel on the bed in front of the flare. They did from the silver body side molding down and had to hand cut it as there was no template. I advised them that they may want to work up a template as this might be an in demand item. $60 and money well spent.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I was quoted $900 for PPF in the areas likely to get hit by rocks from my front tires. I decided on $45 Husky front mud flaps instead. They are over a inch lower than either WT or Mopar mud flaps, and seem to be doing a great job so far.

I may eventually go with Go Rhino RB20 steps in the future, but I honestly don't like the way steps look on the truck. With my truck toolbox and bed rack system in place, there is just too many accessories sticking out around my truck, I think the side steps will take it over the edge visually.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mud flaps are MUCH cheaper than PPF and do a very good job of protection of the fenders/rockers (esp.when considering the cost to value vs PPF)....only, don't use the Mopar OEM flaps unless you want the paint scratched down to almost the primer behind the piece (about 1.5" wide) that covers the fender/flare edge. I can't believe Mopar came up with/allowed this moronic design that not only covers up a good portion of the painted fender/flare but also results in damage to the underlying finish underneath....although, with other moves I've seen, maybe I can believe it.

Mud flaps only protect an area that resembles the length of the mud flap. If your mud flaps are 8" Long they will protect 8" behind the flap and no more.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Mud flaps only protect an area that resembles the length of the mud flap. If your mud flaps are 8" Long they will protect 8" behind the flap and no more.

8" behind, you mean as in height? But how far back behind?

I will mention that since I installed my front flaps, I get far less dirt all the way back to the rear rocker panel and fender. I would get tire dressing fling up to the middle of the doors, not anymore.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
8" behind, you mean as in height? But how far back behind?

I will mention that since I installed my front flaps, I get far less dirt all the way back to the rear rocker panel and fender. I would get tire dressing fling up to the middle of the doors, not anymore.

They help protect the area right behind the tires which obviously takes most of the abuse, I'm just saying they won't protect 10 feet behind them. In the picture below you can see they protect the area circled in red and behind that area you can see where the protection stops where you see the mud sprayed up on the doors.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
They help protect the area right behind the tires which obviously takes most of the abuse, I'm just saying they won't protect 10 feet behind them. In the picture below you can see they protect the area circled in red and behind that area you can see where the protection stops where you see the mud sprayed up on the doors.

View attachment 31294

Oh gotcha. That makes sense. I'll keep an eye on it, hopefully I won't need to get static running boards, but I may have to. So far, at least my Husky's seem to be doing the job, they are a little bit lower than Mopar ones.

rceagle1a

Reaction score
This is why I ALWAYS will have flaps and step bars/running boards on my trucks! This ppf racket amazes me. Does it work? Absolutely, but the price is stupid overinflated for nothing more than clear vinyl, this ppf film guys is really nothing special.

retho78

Reaction score
I have the splash guards and side steps installed on my Laramie. I used the Tecoom brand splash guards and they are similar to Husky but cheaper.

Please see attached link for details.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just curious, but are you speaking from experience of installing Mopar mud flaps on a 2019 Ram? Because I have had Mopar flaps on my Ram for just over 8000 miles and I don’t see any evidence of paint wear. I personally installed them according to Mopar instructions. Just my experience. I don’t do any driving on rough road surfaces, so maybe that would account for our different experiences. I would agree that the Mopar flaps may not provide as much protection as others, but in making my choice, I decided that to me, anyway, they integrated better with the body design.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Just curious, but are you speaking from experience of installing Mopar mud flaps on a 2019 Ram? Because I have had Mopar flaps on my Ram for just over 8000 miles and I don’t see any evidence of paint wear. I personally installed them according to Mopar instructions. Just my experience. I don’t do any driving on rough road surfaces, so maybe that would account for our different experiences. I would agree that the Mopar flaps may not provide as much protection as others, but in making my choice, I decided that to me, anyway, they integrated better with the body design.

I think the paint wear he is talking about is where the mud flap makes contact with the painted flare. The Mopar flares makes heavy contact with the stock flares compared to the WT or Husky that only ride on the outside of the flares.

The double sided tape helps to prevent the flares from scratching into the flares but not always depending on how it was applied. Its pretty well documented that people have had issues with the Mopar flares over time scratching into the paint.

You usually won't see any evidence of this unless you had to remove the flares.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the paint wear he is talking about is where the mud flap makes contact with the painted flare. The Mopar flares makes heavy contact with the stock flares compared to the WT or Husky that only ride on the outside of the flares.

The double sided tape helps to prevent the flares from scratching into the flares but not always depending on how it was applied. Its pretty well documented that people have had issues with the Mopar flares over time scratching into the paint.

You usually won't see any evidence of this unless you had to remove the flares.
Yes I know what he is talking about. I just wanted to add my experience. Properly installed, anyone choosing the Mopar mud flap will not have the issue described.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yes I know what he is talking about. I just wanted to add my experience. Properly installed, anyone choosing the Mopar mud flap will not have the issue described.

Hopefully true. However, you won't know if there is any paint damage until you remove them and inspect behind it. Of course that will require remove and installing new 3M tape.

Users who are viewing this thread