5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can I bug you eTorque owners again?

steveved

Reaction score
"Think about when you're late for work and you're just itching to hit the gas when the light turns green on a red light that lasted 5 minutes. You're going to hit that startup barrier as the motor kicks in and you're already half way to the floor with your lead foot. "

You may want to have your truck serviced. My start/stop doesn't kick in when I hit the gas. Mine kicks in as soon as you come off of the brake. By the time I put my foot in the gas, the engine is already running.

Smoot178

Reaction score
"Think about when you're late for work and you're just itching to hit the gas when the light turns green on a red light that lasted 5 minutes. You're going to hit that startup barrier as the motor kicks in and you're already half way to the floor with your lead foot. "

You may want to have your truck serviced. My start/stop doesn't kick in when I hit the gas. Mine kicks in as soon as you come off of the brake. By the time I put my foot in the gas, the engine is already running.

I talked about this in another thread and I think I am just fast with my foot. I've already gotten the 3 TSB's related to the tranny/etorque and sometimes it just feels like the gas pedal does nothing for a split second after the restart. My etorque starts when you let off the brake like everyone else.

Chris

Reaction score
I talked about this in another thread and I think I am just fast with my foot. I've already gotten the 3 TSB's related to the tranny/etorque and sometimes it just feels like the gas pedal does nothing for a split second after the restart. My etorque starts when you let off the brake like everyone else.
I believe that's the transmission lag, not the etorque lag; test it with start/stop disabled to see if there's a slight delay when you stomp the pedal from a stop. Invest in a Pedal Commander to eliminate if so.

Chris

Reaction score
As others have said, my E-Torque is absolutely seamless, only noticeable when paying attention (since many other factors like frame "anti-vibration" shaker weights already smooth out the engine). Technically, if I completely let of the brake, the truck bumps forward slightly more when e-torque starting than it would with engine idle, but the difference is negligible. If I immediately stomp the pedal from there, the truck engine picks right up from the momentum of the e-torque and the acceleration from dead stop of start/stop enabled and disabled is identical for me.

On the other hand, since I don't have a non e-torque to compare it to, I can't tell if any of the other claims are accurate. Shifts in both directions are smooth as butter, but every review I read tells me that is a factor of the transmission alone and not from the e-torque helping it. Brakes feel just like normal, so I can't tell if it is using e-torque or regular brakes (even when using them very lightly). I will have a better idea in a couple of years on if it is increasing the life of the brakes, and it will be a decade before I know if it helps the transmission since the ZF tranny is already near bulletproof if treated appropriately.

As far as economy goes, I drive around 90% city, though my city driving is represented more by mostly 5-20 MPH stop and go traffic with stop lights sprinkled between, so perhaps isn't what the intended use case becomes. However, with those conditions, I am getting between 14-15 MPG, which is what I expect for a non e-torque. Again, without having both types available to test, maybe my expectations are unreasonable. I am curious if my mileage will increase over time as the engine breaks in (has less than 3k miles right now) and after I have the latest transmission TSB pushed to my truck.

If you can wait a little longer, I would wait a few months to hear from the Detroit Auto Show to see what the 2020's have to offer, to allow inventory liquidation sales on the 2019's, and to get more long-term feedback on the e-torques from the community (they only shipped to customers and dealers around August if I remember correctly, which isn't enough time to work out all the bugs).

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a sneaky suspicion that my eTorque truck's electric pump in the transmission either doesn't run all the time or maybe my trans is just a bit low on fluid, because I have a similar delay when auto starting from a light, where I feel the eTorque motor start the engine, and then the truck resumes idle, and then the trans engages, and then the throttle is applied. Now, it all happens very quickly, but not quickly enough to be buttery smooth like its supposed to be. Also, I think the slip yoke on the driveshaft needs to be lubed or something, as I get a little clunk when stopping and starting lightly, but when I stop aggressively and the truck rocks back and forth, the restarts are much smoother, making me think it releases some binding somewhere.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
As far as the rebel fuel economy concerns.
I think there's so much fighting against fuel economy that it's tough for the e-torque to make a difference.
There's plenty out there saying 4mpg drop from a/s to duratracs on assorted vehicles around the web, 3.92s are worth a 1-2 mpg hit above 70mph, and the 1" lift certainly isn't helping matters.

The rebel was never on the practical end of the spectrum though, was it?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Might have been allpar.com that reported that eTorque models also have a hydraulic accumulator and that should account for some of the shifting variation between eTorque models and non-eTorque.

Smoot178

Reaction score
I believe that's the transmission lag, not the etorque lag; test it with start/stop disabled to see if there's a slight delay when you stomp the pedal from a stop. Invest in a Pedal Commander to eliminate if so.

Good idea, I never thought to try that. I have been interested in a Pulsar but I am not going to get one until I start to get bored with the truck. Gotta save that trick for later :D

Honestly, at this point, I don't think it's enough to complain about. I am a beta tester for buying a 2019 after all.

foolsh1

Reaction score
Well Today I drove down a bad road we call the HALL CRAWL (Hall Rd.) I reset the AVG MPG and drove it like I had Ms Daisey in the back of the truck! Well Would You believe that Mother****er gauge (oops, sorry I am from Detroit Area and according to our House Representative we talk that way????:oops:) ( and again sorry I got political!:rolleyes:) but it said 23.1 mpg! What? Unbelievable! o_O It was the most boring drive home, I think I fell asleep twice? :sleep: The speed was 50mph and below! And it was hard restraining from letting that Hemi sing a little!

As Edwards said:
Aside from all the other minor ways in boosting MPG, the low-hanging fruit is eTorque's stop/start. Reset your non-eTorque MPG guage right before some city driving and you will have no more doubts about the MPG boost while sitting at a light.
Idling sucks down your real world MPG and eTorque eliminates that. The more stops you make the higher the savings.

Set your AVG MPG and stop at a light, it'll drop (depends on how long the light is) .1 or .2 MPG.
Like all of us here we are the first to accept this version of technology, I am sure there might be some growing pains. HOPEFULLY not! (y)
So would I change my mind about mine? No. Do I regret it? No. :cool:

Good luck on your decision, either way it is a very nice truck! (y)(y)

Reaction score
Tonight I stopped at a traffic light and the engine halted as usual, but then I lifted my foot off the brake for an instant and then reapplied it. The engine came on and stayed on for the whole duration of the light.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tonight I stopped at a traffic light and the engine halted as usual, but then I lifted my foot off the brake for an instant and then reapplied it. The engine came on and stayed on for the whole duration of the light.
That's normal. Sometimes really short movements in stop and go will do the same.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
The auto start stop deal.... its too modern age for me. Had it in many a rental for work for weeks at a time, I could never get used to it.

Just because the manufacturers have to find ways to eek up their MPG numbers by a certain year, doesnt mean I have to be a fan of their methods. This was not a policy in Washington i was ever a fan of... its a hippie regulation and I aint having it.

Glad my truck doesnt have it.

Users who are viewing this thread