5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can I bug you eTorque owners again?

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see myself placing an order soon and am 99% sure to go with eTorque. Overall I think the system is safe and beneficial for certain uses, including my own, but few niggles remain. Forgive me if all of this has already been discussed somewhere.

I tend to believe the motor/generator unit (MGU) can last a long time, I mean I have electric drills that are more than a decade old and they still spin strong. The weak point maybe being the bearings on the pulley. In the past, this seemed to be a main reason for water pump failures and belt tensioner failures. However, speaking with other people on other topics, I'm told metallurgy is better today and so that doesn't present a huge concern.

My next thought is about cooling the MGU. The Continental unit on the V6 is water cooled whereas on the V8, which I'll get, it is simply air cooled. Driving the vehicle in the high-humidity, high-temperature, stop-n-go traffic in my area makes me wonder if my driving style won't provide as much air cooling as the engineers anticipated. If true, what will be the effect? Maybe something; maybe nothing. I've decided to roll the dice and not let that concern me either.

Following the 48V cable back to the battery puts another cooling question in my mind, as-in what would happen if the battery fans failed. Would the battery overheat and become a fire hazard? Idk this either, but I do know that FMEA is a huge deal in anything related to public safety and so I'm going to imagine some sort of fail-safe mechanism, whatever that might be, maybe nothing more than an over-temperature signal that shuts down eTorque.

All of that was the long way of saying I think I'm ok with the system and wouldn't hesitate to put my family in the truck... unless I missed something. Does anybody have any safety concerns?

Can I ask you something else, too. A lot has been said about driveability and the consensus seems to be positive; I guess eTorque is as non-intrusive as the marketing hoo-haw says. Is this true in ALL circumstances? I mean, does the system ever catch your attention in a negative way? I tend to "California roll" through stop signs and I feel like I might confuse the truck at some point where it thinks I'm stopping and will shut off the engine, when in fact I don't want that.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I see myself placing an order soon and am 99% sure to go with eTorque. Overall I think the system is safe and beneficial for certain uses, including my own, but few niggles remain. Forgive me if all of this has already been discussed somewhere.

I tend to believe the motor/generator unit (MGU) can last a long time, I mean I have electric drills that are more than a decade old and they still spin strong. The weak point maybe being the bearings on the pulley. In the past, this seemed to be a main reason for water pump failures and belt tensioner failures. However, speaking with other people on other topics, I'm told metallurgy is better today and so that doesn't present a huge concern.

My next thought is about cooling the MGU. The Continental unit on the V6 is water cooled whereas on the V8, which I'll get, it is simply air cooled. Driving the vehicle in the high-humidity, high-temperature, stop-n-go traffic in my area makes me wonder if my driving style won't provide as much air cooling as the engineers anticipated. If true, what will be the effect? Maybe something; maybe nothing. I've decided to roll the dice and not let that concern me either.

Following the 48V cable back to the battery puts another cooling question in my mind, as-in what would happen if the battery fans failed. Would the battery overheat and become a fire hazard? Idk this either, but I do know that FMEA is a huge deal in anything related to public safety and so I'm going to imagine some sort of fail-safe mechanism, whatever that might be, maybe nothing more than an over-temperature signal that shuts down eTorque.

All of that was the long way of saying I think I'm ok with the system and wouldn't hesitate to put my family in the truck... unless I missed something. Does anybody have any safety concerns?

Can I ask you something else, too. A lot has been said about driveability and the consensus seems to be positive; I guess eTorque is as non-intrusive as the marketing hoo-haw says. Is this true in ALL circumstances? I mean, does the system ever catch your attention in a negative way? I tend to "California roll" through stop signs and I feel like I might confuse the truck at some point where it thinks I'm stopping and will shut off the engine, when in fact I don't want that.
It’s unobtrusive in my use and mine does not cut off until like a full second or two after I come to a complete stop

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I love it and think you will too. The V6 implementation is physically backwards so the air cooling won't work which is why it is water cooled. I don't worry about the V8 cooling.
And after driving it a while you get really good at throttle/brake management in terms of stop/start. It's really easy to stop "just right" when no one is coming so that it doesn't stop the engine.
I recommend eTorque if the cost pencils out for you.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As said above . It takes time before auto kicks in. I’ll have to look believe you can actually set the time delay in setting in Uconnect
As for kicking in or off idle no issues. You can also turn off if like to.

I would think gen bearings would not be over looked. Air cooled yes. I’m going to jump forward on this. You will see a lot of work in many different ways with the new electric fan set up & will be utilized, gen temp will probably be one of them.
I do believe there are 2 cooling fans for battery pack. I’ll double check, I maybe wrong. Regardless, it has temp back ups that will shut particular system part or all systems if temp issues. Systems like this have been around for 15+years in public personal automotive vehicles.

I enjoy mine, when right amazing machine and set up. It’s safer for the family then when I work on full hybrids themselves. As you’ve done your research. it’s to save fuel to a point, but it’s main objective help, enhance and keep main powertrain components more reliable then they already are. 2quick come to mine, help speed up engine to efficiency rpm to take over and speed match at trans shifts to remove/ eliminate clutch shock or material lose.
In the end... it’s still designed, made, bought, and used by humans. So anything is always possible. Hope that answers at least 1thing for you. Lol

Bookem

Reaction score
I have the eTorque system and think it works well. However, if you can, get it with the 33 gallon fuel tank because you will get a 23 gallon tank with eTorque (which is what I have) vs. a 26 gallon tank w/the 5.7 w/out eTorque.

RenoRam

Reaction score
I have it and as stated above, it is seamless to me. I quickly got used to it and now dont even think about it. At first, you do notice that when it restarts as you let off the brake, the initial 1/4 or so turn of the wheels to get it started but quickly get used to that as well. IMO, it is not perfect (what is) but well thought out and implemented. I recommend without hesitation.

grinch72

Reaction score
I have the eTorque system and think it works well. However, if you can, get it with the 33 gallon fuel tank because you will get a 23 gallon tank with eTorque (which is what I have) vs. a 26 gallon tank w/the 5.7 w/out eTorque.
I have the eTorque with a 26 gallon tank but I wish I had gotten the 33

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love it.

48v hybridization is becoming a big deal across the industry. The technology on the Hemi comes from Magneti Marelli, which also implements electric motor technology in the F1 racing Energy Recovery System. This isn't a new concept for them.

The liquid cooling on the V6 MGU is required due to its location.

I'm sure there are multiple protections on the battery pack at the rear of the cab. I'm not worried a bit.

The 33 gallon tank was a requirement where I would not compromise. You can always put 23 or 26 gallons in a 33 gallon tank. You can't put 33 gallons in a 23 or 26 gallon tank.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

The MGU or belted starter-generator (BSG) is just a motor. It's not much more complex—mechanically speaking—than the alternator it replaces. It's also covered under the 8 year / 80,000 mile emissions warranty, so that should give you some peace of mind regarding longevity.

Millions of vehicles sit in rush hour traffic every day with their electronic fuel injection systems, alternators, PCMs, etc. exposed to high underhood temperatures on a daily basis. The vast majority handle that heat just fine. I'd expect a motor/generator under the hood to perform similarly, although I'm sure excessively hot conditions will reduce the system's efficiency.

I would be curious to see details on the thermal management of the battery. The battery doesn't have a lot of capacity, but I'm sure thermal conditions are monitored, and any faults would result in the eTorque system being disabled.

I think it's a deceptively simple system (i.e. mechanically simple, but highly-sophisticated programming). I don't have any safety concerns...until I hear otherwise.

I notice the system when (1) the truck shuts off at a stoplight, 1-2 seconds after coming to a full stop; (2) at the drive-thru, when the truck shuts off while I'm placing an order...which is actually kind of nice; and (3) after I pull into the garage, when the truck shuts off if I pause too long to check and see whether I've cleared the garage door. I never notice the system AT ALL during actual driving maneuvers. It's a very nice complement to the HEMI.

steveved

Reaction score
Honestly, while I have the Hemi with eTorque, I am starting to think it is just a gimmick. Yes, it allows almost seamless start/stop. But I am unconvinced it actually aids in fuel economy.

This truck is quite about lighter than the outgoing model, yet gets worse gas mileage. Honestly, I bought my truck because it was an acceptable color, had the sport appearance package, was a Laramie and was very comfortable to drive. Way better than my 2015 Silverado.

The eTorque was a not a selling point for me. I would have bought this truck with, or without it. But it was the only truck configured the way I wanted within a 100 mile radius of me. I was actually hoping eTorque would aid in fuel economy. But, I am unconvinced it makes a difference.

Just my 2 cents.

steveved

Reaction score
By the way, if the tone of my response didn't convey this: I really love this truck. This is the 4th full sized pickup I have owned in the last 20 years and it is by far the best. Another thread asks if you would purchase your truck again. My answer is yes, in a heart beat. It is an order of magnitude better than the Silverado it replaces.

In 6800 miles over 4 months, it has been trouble free and a welcome addition to our driveway.

I am just not convinced the eTorque was worth the extra charge.

So, if you are considering a 2019 Ram, by all means buy it. I just cannot, in good conscious, tell you eTorque is worth it. I have it, and am unconvinced...

Users who are viewing this thread