5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone explain this to me?

justjules

Reaction score
I got new tires on my 2019 1500 classic 4x4. I was told an alignment should be done. I was given this print out. Only this print out. I'm assuming it is after the alignment. But there is nothing to compare it to. No before and nothing explains what the numbers should be. Is this legitimate? Can anyone help me?

Attachments

• 20240918_210742.jpg
    20240918_210742.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 60
IMG_7784.jpeg
I would say everything seems to be in spec but the caster seems a bit off. This is something g I found a while back when I got my aligns and used it as a reference to what the shop game me.

Here is a thread with helpful information

never seen a printout like that but everything sits within the specs according to their printout.
I had my truck done when it was new and it was off spec. Funny thing is the steering was dead straight until the alignment and then it was a hair off center . Drove me nuts. Looked up on u tube how to fix that myself without messing up any other settings and moved it.

After the alignment my steering wheel is not straight. Should I bring it back to the shop and have them fix it?
absolutely, that is part of an alignment and shops are just getting lazy these days and not performing that correctly. I put a piece of tape on the center of the steering wheel hub and the column then mark where I want the wheel with a marker on the tape. then cut the tape between the steering wheel and the column. then they know I am OCD about the wheel being centered and usually hit it right on the money.

never seen a printout like that but everything sits within the specs according to their printout.
I had my truck done when it was new and it was off spec. Funny thing is the steering was dead straight until the alignment and then it was a hair off center . Drove me nuts. Looked up on u tube how to fix that myself without messing up any other settings and moved it.
Please explain how to fix this!! I have the exact same issue. My steering wheel is off center to the right now after my alignment. i'd rather not have to take it back.

Please explain how to fix this!! I have the exact same issue. My steering wheel is off center to the right now after my alignment. i'd rather not have to take it back.
I ll see if I can find the video I used but you have to slide under front of truck to do it, if your willing ?

I would take it back and make them finish the job you paid them for.
yea you are right, just depends on how far off it is. If it s like 1/8 off they won t be happy. And then do you trust them? Don t forget this isn t the answer to an alignment thats off in other specs.

I ll see if I can find the video I used but you have to slide under front of truck to do it, if your willing ?
yes it can be done, but you shouldn't have too. they are lazy and they don't take pride in their work. the process involves turning both tie rods one way or the other. which is hard to do and keep the toe correct.

I would take it back and make them finish the job you paid them for.
I've got lifetime alignments through the shop and have had to have my truck realigned at least 3-4 times now due to me messing with the suspension. But, every single time my wheel has been off center slightly, not crazy, but enough to annoy me. I just watched a video on making slight adjustments to the tie rods on both sides, so I see how to do it now. Simple enough.

FYI, after you loosen the lock nut, I was doing maybe 1/8 to 1/4 turn on the adjusting nut. You also have both side to equal out (so as not to ruin the toe setting) AND you must be sure in what direction you turn. Write it down as you do it in case you have to go to re adjust (which I did). If you are not mechanically inclined in figuring out what s happening here then just take it back and like it was stated, make them do it right.
Again mine was so close, I was kinda embarrassed . I figured I d try it and if it became a problem I would just bring it back and tell them I m not happy, LOL..

FYI, after you loosen the lock nut, I was doing maybe 1/8 to 1/4 turn on the adjusting nut. You also have both side to equal out (so as not to ruin the toe setting) AND you must be sure in what direction you turn. Write it down as you do it in case you have to go to re adjust (which I did). If you are not mechanically inclined in figuring out what s happening here then just take it back and like it was stated, make them do it right.
Ya, I found a good video explaining how to do it. Simple enough. I'm definitely a you-tube mechanic by trade at this point lmao!

Funny thing, and maybe it was another reason I didn t go back, the printout showed it was straight . I didn't want to hear all their BS about crowns in the road etc. etc...

It's real simple to do the adjustment, but it is trial and error, to know how much. If it's real close, it may take as little as 1/8 of a turn. Just make sure, you lengthen one side, and shorten the other side, the same amount.

My wheel is slightly more to the left than on the S3 in the video. Anybody know how much adjustment goes how far with our trucks? Based on the video and the slight left that his wheel had that required only one turn, I probably need 2 or 3 full turns on mine if the amount of adjustment is the same. So, if anybody has done this, how many turns did you do to get the wheel straight from approximately the current 11:30 position?

My wheel is slightly more to the left than on the S3 in the video. Anybody know how much adjustment goes how far with our trucks? Based on the video and the slight left that his wheel had that required only one turn, I probably need 2 or 3 full turns on mine if the amount of adjustment is the same. So, if anybody has done this, how many turns did you do to get the wheel straight from approximately the current 11:30 position?
way less turn from my limited experience . I would go no more than 1/4 turn the first try and then see. Mark it all down in case you have to back off a little. Take it around the block and you ll see right away. I don't think you can equate the turns in the vid to our trucks.

Thanks for the response. If I get a chance this weekend, I'll give it a shot.

Ok, so I did this today and completely messed up. I think I recovered from it, but who knows until I get another alignment!!

In the video, the S3 adjustment is made from behind the front tire. On our trucks, the adjustment is made in front of the tire, so where he shortened the length, I would need to lengthen. No issues there. Where I initially screwed up is seeing that he went clockwise to shorten, I decided I needed to go counterclockwise to shorten. That makes sense, unless the threads are reversed!!!

So, after a 1/2 turn, I was worse than I started, so I had to readjust in the opposite direction. But then I couldn't remember which side I went clockwise and which side was counterclockwise. Such an idiot.

I have no idea where I'm at with turns on what side now. So, here's what I did. I ran a string around all 4 tires while on the ground to see what was out and what wasn't. With my wheel straight, I figured the driver side needs x and the passenger side needs y. I adjusted, lowered down and checked the string was touching all tires at the front and rear equally.

Took it for a drive and the wheel was straight and it tracked straight. I think I'm ok, but we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back