5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stock alignment specs?

kmck94

Reaction score
I got the 2 inch leveling kit from Rough Country and they say it’s only for 4wd but I have read 4x4 and 4x2 have the same suspension. The RC directions have the alignment specs for 4x4 but was wondering if they would be different for the 4x2. When you level a truck does the stock alignment specs still work? I understand once I level the alignment will be out of stock specifications so I will need an alignment but to what specs. Also does anyone have the stock 4x2 crew cab alignment specs?

Thanks

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would just take it to the dealer to get the alignment. My dealer was cheaper than the alignment shop. Right at 100 bucks if I recall. None of the shops in town could reset the computer to relearn the steering angle. They could make the adjustments under the truck but it still pulled. The dealer did it no problem.

kmck94

Reaction score
I would just take it to the dealer to get the alignment. My dealer was cheaper than the alignment shop. Right at 100 bucks if I recall. None of the shops in town could reset the computer to relearn the steering angle. They could make the adjustments under the truck but it still pulled. The dealer did it no problem.

Thanks KSN240, thinking I might just do that. Could you explain how the steering angle would change? I don’t see how, thinking only the camber changes with a level.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The spindles are further down and away due to the lift so it does slightly change the angle, although not drastically. But since these trucks have electronic steering, it is best to go ahead and get it corrected.

dhmoore74

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on this? I had my truck realigned and numbers show to be within spec, but truck is pulling to the left and my steering wheel is not centered.... What gives??? I'm confused.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on this? I had my truck realigned and numbers show to be within spec, but truck is pulling to the left and my steering wheel is not centered.... What gives??? I'm confused.
The shop told me they needed to be able to reset the computer so it could relearn the new steering angle. As far as the wheel not being centered, there was another thread here somewhere about that.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
It's alligned correctly, but they didn't adjust the tie rod ends so that the steering wheel was centered. My allignment shop did the same thing, I was very annoyed though so I adjusted it myself instead of taking it back.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's alligned correctly, but they didn't adjust the tie rod ends so that the steering wheel was centered. My allignment shop did the same thing, I was very annoyed though so I adjusted it myself instead of taking it back.
I've been tempted to do the same. Been back twice since alignment and they can't seem to find center, always 11 oclock. Drives me nuts.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I've been tempted to do the same. Been back twice since alignment and they can't seem to find center, always 11 oclock. Drives me nuts.
It took me 4 adjustments and 4 test drives to get it perfect. Getting it any sooner than that is pretty lucky.

dhmoore74

Reaction score
Yes... Mine is the same, except its at 1:00 o'clock and not 11 o'clock... How exactly can I adjust it myself. I'm pretty handy and have plenty of tool, I just have never messed with alignment. If pointed in the right direction I feel confident I can do it. Anyone know or have a good youtube video for adjusting tie rods on 2019 Ram?

dhmoore74

Reaction score
Yes... Mine is the same, except its at 1:00 o'clock and not 11 o'clock... How exactly can I adjust it myself. I'm pretty handy and have plenty of tool, I just have never messed with alignment. If pointed in the right direction I feel confident I can do it. Anyone know or have a good youtube video for adjusting tie rods on 2019 Ram?
Assume I adjust out on one side and in on the opposite side to correct this issue?!?!?!?!

dhmoore74

Reaction score
Assume I adjust out on one side and in on the opposite side to correct this issue?!?!?!?!
Im not sure which side to adjust in vs out with steering wheel at the 1:00 o'clock position. If I hold wheel center while driving on highway, truck currently goes left. If I hold truck straight, then steering is at 1:00 o'clock.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Im not sure which side to adjust in vs out with steering wheel at the 1:00 o'clock position. If I hold wheel center while driving on highway, truck currently goes left. If I hold truck straight, then steering is at 1:00 o'clock.
Adjust the driver side in 1/4 of a turn and the passenger side out 1/4 of a turn. Make a mark on the tie rod so you have a visual of where you started.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your truck also may be off center because of caster split and road crown. By adjusting the tie rods you're just compensating for improper caster. A good alignment shop knows that the caster split on the passenger side needs to be about .25 more positive than the drivers side to compensate for road crown. Newer vehicles sometimes have compensation for this built into the software for the electric power steering I know for a fact GM does, not sure if the Ram does as well, but like @ksn240 said if the dealer is resetting some computer/sensor it's pretty likely that's the reason why. Be careful when adjusting your tie rods, tires are extremely sensitive to the toe value when it comes to wear this is why the spec is so tight at .1 degrees and explicitly calls out an even split for total toe making it pretty easy to get out spec when adjusting them visually, so if you mess with the tie rods keep a close eye on your tires.

djwdjw

Reaction score
Is there any reason why a dealer would be any better choice to check the alignment on my truck than an independent shop?

The front tires on my 22" limited are both quite worn on the outside (toe out?) when the spec above calls for toe-in.

E4Baerospace

Reaction score
Here's the specs just incase someone uses the search function.
Thanks for the specs. I took it to Firestone to have it aligned. I figured they'd have the right specs. The spec sheet from Firestone I think is the wrong specs based on the top line of Firestones sheet.

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 143

jabara572

Reaction score
I would not advise adjusting your tie rod ends to correct steering wheel angle yourself. There's no way (no matter how careful you are) you can be accurate enough to not change the toe settings...defeating the purpose of having it aligned in the first place.

TRIBUTE100

Reaction score
Jordan2929: Could you tell me the source of the alignment specs you provided last year. I have a 2021 DT RAM 1500, 5.7L and would like to see the specs
they give for the 2021, if different. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread