5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone explain this to me?

I stated early in the thread you need to write every movement down in case.... hope you got it.
FYI, I also kept the lock nut so close that I could easily see which way it was adjusting.

Yeah, I initially did by writing CW and CCW on the tape, but after my first adjustment not showing any improvement, I went the same direction another 1/2 turn and it went worse, so my CW and CCW needed to be reversed.

No issue, right? Just undo what you just did, but then the steering wheel went the same amount off, but in the opposite direction. How is it possible that the 1st half turn did nothing, the 2nd half turn in the same direction made it worse, and then a full turn in the opposite direction, which should have taken it back to the starting point, was now off on the opposite side? I got confused at this point and started winging it.

What I think was going on was I did not start with equal out on both sides. When I initially ran the string, the driver wheels was straight, but the passenger wheel was toed out some. My truck wasn't tracking straight before I started, when letting go of the wheel. The wheel was off center and the truck would drift right. It appears to track straight now and the wheel is straight.

Tire change dealers in my area, especially Dobbs Auto Tire, are notorious for taking more of your money by telling you that you need an alignment after you buy 4 new tires. When you decline they pressure you by telling you they won't warrant the tire if you pay even more money and buy their warranty.

Yeah, I initially did by writing CW and CCW on the tape, but after my first adjustment not showing any improvement, I went the same direction another 1/2 turn and it went worse, so my CW and CCW needed to be reversed.

No issue, right? Just undo what you just did, but then the steering wheel went the same amount off, but in the opposite direction. How is it possible that the 1st half turn did nothing, the 2nd half turn in the same direction made it worse, and then a full turn in the opposite direction, which should have taken it back to the starting point, was now off on the opposite side? I got confused at this point and started winging it.

What I think was going on was I did not start with equal out on both sides. When I initially ran the string, the driver wheels was straight, but the passenger wheel was toed out some. My truck wasn't tracking straight before I started, when letting go of the wheel. The wheel was off center and the truck would drift right. It appears to track straight now and the wheel is straight.
well that good news then. you did move the vehicle each time you adjusted to let it settle I m sure.
Full disclosure / when I did mine I also went the wrong direction at first and the wheel was a little more off center . Then I went back and re did opposite plus added a little and it was dead center. I had a piece of painters tape on each side with my movement written on it.

I had painter's tape also, but unlike the video, I wasn't equally out on both front tires. Is the string method how it used to be done?

I just drove 20 miles and the truck was tracking straight and my wheel was straight. Thanks for providing the details on doing this. I thought I was going to need a new alignment as the dealership said they don't warrant their alignment work as soon as it's driven off the lot.

Another self fix that didn't cost anything, but my time and now a new skill learned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back