5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cab to Box seal missing?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oct ‘18 build. Didn’t notice it for about 3 months. Had exhaust on already. It sounded like pass rear door seal/door not closed all the way. Def noise from rear of cab. For me was 40mph on up. They installed it, not a issue since.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
06-19 and has all three bed to cab seals, i don't know it's really help or not because i don't have anything to compare and i'm play music loud.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When these trucks first released they had the seal. Some time late 2018 they removed the seals from production, by purpose or not. Months later they added them back and issued a TSB (likely due to noise complaints). A sound dampening mat was also added to the rear cab wall within the last 6 months or so, and I noticed my rear doors close much more solidly (no cheap sounding double clunk) & require more force as opposed to my earlier built trucks... maybe due to rear vent redesign for less noise and debris intrusion.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When these trucks first released they had the seal. Some time late 2018 they removed the seals from production, by purpose or not. Months later they added them back and issued a TSB (likely due to noise complaints). A sound dampening mat was also added to the rear cab wall within the last 6 months or so, and I noticed my rear doors close much more solidly (no cheap sounding double clunk) & require more force as opposed to my earlier built trucks... maybe due to rear vent redesign for less noise and debris intrusion.
That is interesting about the mat addition. Do you by chance have pictures of the mat install?

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is interesting about the mat addition. Do you by chance have pictures of the mat install?
You can see the foam strip which is attached to the mat. The edge of the mat itself is circled in red. The mat is attached the the rear wall carpet.

Attachments

• DA3E29E7-0366-4C73-9AC3-17E70E581911.jpeg
    DA3E29E7-0366-4C73-9AC3-17E70E581911.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 93

egnarp

Reaction score
My truck did not have the horizontal seal between the bed and cab. Knowing Ram discontinued including them, I improvised and purchased a swimming pool noodle (about 5' long with a 2" diameter), and wedged that between the cab and bed. I just laid underneath the truck and pushed it in place. Cost = $1.59.

renzo2213

Reaction score
Just double checked to make sure I have it, and low and behold, there was snow/ice on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DesertRebel

Reaction score
June built 2019 Rebel here... as far as I can tell, I have the cab to bed seal...

However, I think I will order one of the vertical seals - not for cab to bed, but for the waterfall gaps on each side of the tailgate with bed cover (BAKFlip MX4)... it looks like the right width - I plan to cut length to fit. Better option than foam tape imo.

I'll post in the bed cover thread if it works.

eyeguy

Reaction score
Egnarp, Report back if the noodle helps with wind noise. I would have the dealership add the original weather strip but wondering how many peoples wind noise is helped with a better seal in that area.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Do you know how we can obtain a copy of the TSB for the horizontal seal?
Is there also a TSB for the sound dampening mat or is that simply something that you added on your own? Do all new trucks have the sound dampening mat?

egnarp

Reaction score
Egnarp, Report back if the noodle helps with wind noise. I would have the dealership add the original weather strip but wondering how many peoples wind noise is helped with a better seal in that area.
That was the main reason I added it... for noise. I think it did help with road noise.
It was tight fit. I used a hammer handle to get it pushed up into place. If you do give it a try don't buy a noodle that's like 5" in diameter, but one of the smaller ones with about a 2" diameter. It's a cheap experiment @ $1.59.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there also a TSB for the sound dampening mat or is that simply something that you added on your own? Do all new trucks have the sound dampening mat?
I think it's floating around on the forum somewhere. Not sure if there's a TSB for the rear cab foam mat. I just noticed my old truck didn't have it, but new one did. I also added my own sound dampening. You can fit 2 of these sheets pack there.

uxcell 50cmx80cm Car Audio Stereo Sound Acoustic Noise Absorbing Dampening Foam 19.7 inches x 31.5 inches 4.3sqft https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KX96WEK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Q5bfEb6DKRZJR

mvfjet

Reaction score
My truck is an April 2019 build and it has all 3 rubber seals. I feel like there's a lot of air cavities under the truck that adds wind noise. My wife's 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee has plastic panels in a few area to help with this.

Bighorned

Reaction score
just installed mine and it seems to have made a good bit of difference in road noise. pins were a bit of a pain to get in but I got it with the help of a pry bar. Used the flat edge to help me get in in the hole on 2 of them. Other than that pretty easy install.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The TSB for the cab to bed seal is 23-012-19. I am having dealer install one next Tuesday under warranty. Also.....I was told that dealers can only order one seal per week due to backlog. No recall.....customer complaint driven only which is unfortunate.

Users who are viewing this thread