5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cab to Box seal missing?

Bighorned

Reaction score
I read on here somewhere about wind noise and some guys were missing the seal that goes between the box and cab at the bottom. I have the ones on the sides but not the bottom between the cab and bed. Is there a reason for this or is this just a mistake during assembly? I ordered one for 20 bucks shipped.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s under warranty. Had same issue they put it on. Many early makes didn’t have it

renzo2213

Reaction score
I read on here somewhere about wind noise and some guys were missing the seal that goes between the box and cab at the bottom. I have the ones on the sides but not the bottom between the cab and bed. Is there a reason for this or is this just a mistake during assembly? I ordered one for 20 bucks shipped.

Can you take a picture of where it goes? I need to look now lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you take a picture of where it goes? I need to look now lol

Stand inside the front end of the bed while facing the rear windows, look down the gap between the bed rail and rear windows.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
From what I read, earlier models had them, but they stopped adding them after a certain month, no new trucks should have them, though not sure.

My Jan 2019 build Rebel, which I bought in July, didn't have it. However, I don't notice any unusual noise from the rear even without it.

I'll bring it up to my dealer on my next oil change, if they won't cover it, I'll just buy one and install it, something like $12.

Here is a good place to start reading regarding the trim piece & pictures: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/road-noise-interior.3833/page-4

renzo2213

Reaction score
From what I read, earlier models had them, but they stopped adding them after a certain month, no new trucks should have them, though not sure.

My Jan 2019 build Rebel, which I bought in July, didn't have it. However, I don't notice any unusual noise from the rear even without it.

I'll bring it up to my dealer on my next oil change, if they won't cover it, I'll just buy one and install it, something like $12.

Mine was a June 2019 build, haven’t noticed any noise coming from the rear but I do have a whistling noise coming from the passenger side HVAC system when I click the button to recirculate the air in the cabin. Been to the dealer multiple times, still no fix. Keep getting the “can’t reproduce problem” even though their lube tech guy noticed it, as well as everyone who rides in my truck

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Mine was a June 2019 build, haven’t noticed any noise coming from the rear but I do have a whistling noise coming from the passenger side HVAC system when I click the button to recirculate the air in the cabin. Been to the dealer multiple times, still no fix. Keep getting the “can’t reproduce problem” even though their lube tech guy noticed it, as well as everyone who rides in my truck

Is this noise at lower speeds or at all ranges when recirculating air?

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
They installed the horizontal cab to bed seal up until Sept.'18 I believe. Trucks built after that date do not have that seal. Many people that notice wind noise say it does help to reduce it. Only downside I can think of is that it rubs against the cab/bed and could be bad for the paint/body/rust. I am unsure why the factory chose to quit installing it. I was seriously considering getting one for my truck but I really do not have any issue with noise so I decided against it.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
They installed the horizontal cab to bed seal up until Sept.'18 I believe. Trucks built after that date do not have that seal. Many people that notice wind noise say it does help to reduce it. Only downside I can think of is that it rubs against the cab/bed and could be bad for the paint/body/rust. I am unsure why the factory chose to quit installing it. I was seriously considering getting one for my truck but I really do not have any issue with noise so I decided against it.

I haven't heard anything that bothers me, but I may still try it anyways.

I think the truck has two more seals between the bed and cab, one on each side. Those could potentially wear down the paint I guess, so what's one more :)

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I haven't heard anything that bothers me, but I may still try it anyways.

I think the truck has two more seals between the bed and cab, one on each side. Those could potentially wear down the paint I guess, so what's one more :)
The ones that run vertical I think have a small gap between the seal and the cab (or is it seal and bed?). I think the horizontal one there is not much of a gap if any. I do agree that risk is minimal and who sees that area anyways. Although it could maybe hold water/snow and rust? Not sure why they would no longer install it but there must be a reason I would think..

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The ones that run vertical I think have a small gap between the seal and the cab (or is it seal and bed?). I think the horizontal one there is not much of a gap if any. I do agree that risk is minimal and who sees that area anyways. Although it could maybe hold water/snow and rust? Not sure why they would no longer install it but there must be a reason I would think..

Yea, that probably why I haven't done it yet, they probably had a reason to stop installing them. The way they install, it could potentially hold some debris, though a quick hit with the garden hose during wash time should fix that.

I'm going to keep my ear out while driving and see if I notice anything that bothers me. But for now I may order the strip and wait on installing.

rah6887

Reaction score
My build date was 6/30/2019, and it has the seal between the cab and the bed.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It tends to hold snow and leaves. The snow that builds up above the gasget will turn into chunks of ice that will rattle on the back of the cab.

renzo2213

Reaction score
Is this noise at lower speeds or at all ranges when recirculating air?

It’s a higher speeds. Honestly, it’s probably at all speeds, but becomes noticeable at 60mph+

SD Rebel

Reaction score
It’s a higher speeds. Honestly, it’s probably at all speeds, but becomes noticeable at 60mph+

Gotcha, it's probably harder with my Rebel to notice because of the stock A/T tires which has a slight resonance at higher speeds and the loud exhaust I have.

Users who are viewing this thread