5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bypass module not working

Jockeyson

Reaction score
Hi all
I’ve bought this bypass module on Amazon
I’ve tried to install it and have followed multiple instructions on youtube, however nothing has worked so far

With the small plug plugged into the green module of the car and then the male obd from the cable is plugged into the cars original obd, everything stops working .
The ignition button does not do anything
The key no longer works so I cannot unlock or lock

Does anyone have any suggestions
I’ve changed the green ports and nothing has worked so far
This is on a ram 1500 dt limited RHD

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all
I’ve tried to install it and have followed multiple instructions on youtube, however nothing has worked so far

With the small plug plugged into the green module of the car and then the male obd from the cable is plugged into the cars original obd, everything stops working .

Buy this one and be done.

Exctool 12+8 Pin Connector to OBD2 Adapter Security Bypass Cable for SGW-Equipped FCA Vehicles for Diagnostics, Coding and Programming, Compatible with JScan App Exctool 12+8 Pin Connector to OBD2 Adapter Security Bypass Cable for SGW-Equipped FCA Vehicles for Diagnostics, Coding and Programming, Compatible with JScan App : Amazon.com.au: Automotive

John Jensen

Reaction score
Buy this one and be done.

Exctool 12+8 Pin Connector to OBD2 Adapter Security Bypass Cable for SGW-Equipped FCA Vehicles for Diagnostics, Coding and Programming, Compatible with JScan App Exctool 12+8 Pin Connector to OBD2 Adapter Security Bypass Cable for SGW-Equipped FCA Vehicles for Diagnostics, Coding and Programming, Compatible with JScan App : Amazon.com.au: Automotive
Looks to me like that is the one he bought. It should work, never heard of a bypass shutting everything down, I must be defective. I believe the best one to get is Kaodtech

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks to me like that is the one he bought. It should work, never heard of a bypass shutting everything down, I must be defective. I believe the best one to get is Kaodtech
The one I linked is not the same as the one he linked.

And depending on your truck, the one zi linked is easiest to install and best, IMO. You don't have to access the panel behind headlight switch to plug any small plugs in, hoping you got the right ones. You just unplug the SGW connectors and plug the bypass in. Then use the OBD connector on bypass. It also bypasses the factory OBD2 connector.

John Jensen

Reaction score
The one I linked is not the same as the one he linked.

And depending on your truck, the one zi linked is easiest to install and best, IMO. You don't have to access the panel behind headlight switch to plug any small plugs in, hoping you got the right ones. You just unplug the SGW connectors and plug the bypass in. Then use the OBD connector on bypass. It also bypasses the factory OBD2 connector.
Sorry, my PC kept connecting to his link, not yours. I see yours now and I am familiar with that type. I prefer the Kaodtech type (the type the OP ordered).

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, my PC kept connecting to his link, not yours. I see yours now and I am familiar with that type. I prefer the Kaodtech type (the type the OP ordered).
You have an HD truck, the kaodtech is only one that will work for your truck because it's not a true 5th gen

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You have an HD truck, the kaodtech is only one that will work for your truck because it's not a true 5th gen
Any bypass that works on the 5th gen DT ram will also work on the HD rams (and any other FCA/stellantis vehicle that uses the security gateway). It’s just that the kaodtech style bypass is easier to install on the HD ram than the other bypasses because the gateway is not in an easy location like in the DT ram.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all

The two wires on the small white connector are CAN hi and CAN lo. The only thing I can think that will cause those issues is they have those two wire positions reversed on that white connector.
Does it do this as soon as you plug the bypass in by itself, or does it only do it once you plug the OBD interface into the bypass?

John Jensen

Reaction score
Not quite true. I have two different types of bypass cables for my HD. A Koadtech bypass for when I use my MX+ and Alfa. And Calibrated's bypass when I use my EzLynk. Their only commonality is they both connect to the CAN terminal block.

Jockeyson

Reaction score

Jockeyson

Reaction score
The two wires on the small white connector are CAN hi and CAN lo. The only thing I can think that will cause those issues is they have those two wire positions reversed on that white connector.
Does it do this as soon as you plug the bypass in by itself, or does it only do it once you plug the OBD interface into the bypass?
happens when i plug the bypass cable in

Ahole4sure

Reaction score
@Jockeyson
Whatever happened with your situation? I have used both types of bypass cables - the red one linked from Amazon was easier to just plug in and out (I used on my Jeep) and I have had the Kaodtech for a previous 2018 2500
Both worked

Did you get things working?

Users who are viewing this thread