5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bypass Media Hub

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@SpeedyV is your new media hub still failing when sitting out in the sun? Thx
Per my previous post, the problem doesn’t appear to have been the media hub. Since replacing my adapter, everything has returned to normal. I occasionally do have to reboot the adapter, but that’s pretty rare.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Per my previous post, the problem doesn’t appear to have been the media hub. Since replacing my adapter, everything has returned to normal. I occasionally do have to reboot the adapter, but that’s pretty rare.
Thanks for the update. I agree, that's a different issue since when my issue happens, nothing on USB works.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
As far as the heat issue goes, it looks like resetting power to the USB hub after the cab cools off will restore functionality. This can be done by turning the truck off and leaving it parked for 10 minutes, or pulling fuse F43. Instead of pulling the fuse, we may be able to just inline switch this power source to the USB hub. Just need to know which wire it is. From @Jimmy07 's diagram, seems to be a red wire. However F43 is a Micro3 fuse, so one is the feed, with two wires leaving to ODB/collision/or USB hub. How can we tell which wire to put the switch on?

1688059491262.png

1688059512166.png

Clarky

Reaction score
I did that install back in December, just over a month ago, and the new media hub did the trick...for about 10 minutes. Then the problem returned.

In hindsight, I didn't do enough testing before replacing the hub.

When my CPLAY2air unit failed on a long drive, I plugged my phone in "the old fashioned way", but this did not resolve the issue (i.e. CarPlay would not work even with a wired connection). I found the same thing to be true with the new media hub (uh-oh). But if I ditched the wireless CarPlay adaptor and plugged in from the get-go (i.e. when the truck was first started), it worked like a champ...even for a 2-day drive!

So, after 3+ solid years, it was the CPLAY2air adapter that died on me after all. At least I learned how to take the console apart.

Based on other reviews I found on this forum (and some of your signatures), I picked up the 2022 revision of Carlinkit 3.0 for $85 shipped on Amazon. It's been working like a champ, and it connects more quickly than the old adapter. Also, for those of you that have one, the latest firmware update (December 2022) looks like they had an actual software engineer work on it (the mobile/phone UI has been much improved).
Went through the same issues and changed media unit out without it resolving the issue did further troubleshooting and disconnected the connectors one at a time. Disconnecting the central connector immediately caused the USB Hubs to work as well as CarPlay. I also retried this with the old media hub and got same results. Not sure why plugging central cable which appears to be to the aux cable works but it has resolved this long standing issue for me

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Went through the same issues and changed media unit out without it resolving the issue did further troubleshooting and disconnected the connectors one at a time. Disconnecting the central connector immediately caused the USB Hubs to work as well as CarPlay. I also retried this with the old media hub and got same results. Not sure why plugging central cable which appears to be to the aux cable works but it has resolved this long standing issue for me
So you’re saying that when your USB ports don’t work, you plug something into the aux port, then unplug it and they work again?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So you’re saying that when your USB ports don’t work, you plug something into the aux port, then unplug it and they work again?
He is saying he unplugs the factory connector in the back of USB hub

green

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram Classic usb ports stopped working to charge and connect to CarPlay. Can someone experienced let me know if I'm on the right track? The media hub part # 68328704AC. I understand the improved replacement part ends in AD so I am hopeful. Mopar lists the new part at $200. My local dealership wants $280 for the part and said it needs to be programmed.
tempImageQpdwRP.png
1) What sort of "programming" needs to be done?
2) Is the relevant fuse F104 (20 amp yellow) "power outlets-instrument panel/centre console"
3) How do you test the truck wiring at the connection point to the media hub? What would you look for?
I'm kicking myself for not going to the dealership when the problem first started and the truck was under warranty. I always seem to have problems there and get stressed out so I avoided it.

Trouble shooting:
I cut an old usb cord, stripped the wires, and tried to test for voltage coming through the media hub but got nothing.
I got to the hub by popping the drink holders out, pulling some fabric down around the front of the flip up console, and reaching in behind the foam. I looked up the usb port pinout and used a multimeter. It seems to only have continuity across the board through the ground pin, nothing through the Vcc or data pins. I want to know how to test the truck wiring before it enters the connection to the media hub.
tempImagezGyTWr.png
-Dani

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 2019 Ram Classic usb ports stopped working to charge and connect to CarPlay. Can someone experienced let me know if I'm on the right track? The media hub part # 68328704AC. I understand the improved replacement part ends in AD so I am hopeful. Mopar lists the new part at $200. My local dealership wants $280 for the part and said it needs to be programmed.
View attachment 164359
2) Is the relevant fuse F104 (20 amp yellow) "power outlets-instrument panel/centre console"
3) How do you test the truck wiring at the connection point to the media hub? What would you look for?
I'm kicking myself for not going to the dealership when the problem first started and the truck was under warranty. I always seem to have problems there and get stressed out so I avoided it.

Trouble shooting:
I cut an old usb cord, stripped the wires, and tried to test for voltage coming through the media hub but got nothing.
I got to the hub by popping the drink holders out, pulling some fabric down around the front of the flip up console, and reaching in behind the foam. I looked up the usb port pinout and used a multimeter. It seems to only have continuity across the board through the ground pin, nothing through the Vcc or data pins. I want to know how to test the truck wiring before it enters the connection to the media hub.
View attachment 164361
-Dani
This is a 5th gen forum. Might have better luck on a 4th Gen forum.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
Spoke with a tech on a ride-along and he said that they’ve gone through 3 vendors for the hub and are still unsure about it. Might do the aux connection removal today and see what happens. They did say that when my part was on a bench they could alter its performance just by touching it. I’ve been 3 times for a replacement with no remedy.

For the record, it works when it wants to, but never during the day. It’ll work 3/5 times in the evening, but it’s a toss-up.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Spoke with a tech on a ride-along and he said that they’ve gone through 3 vendors for the hub and are still unsure about it. Might do the aux connection removal today and see what happens. They did say that when my part was on a bench they could alter its performance just by touching it. I’ve been 3 times for a replacement with no remedy.

For the record, it works when it wants to, but never during the day. It’ll work 3/5 times in the evening, but it’s a toss-up.
Depending on where they were touching it, yeah they can alter it's performance. Seems like they aren't very tech savvy

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
View attachment 164359

Trouble shooting:
View attachment 164361
-Dani
Not sure since it’s a classic. I didn’t have to program anything for mine.

Try contacting mopar and ask what the latest revision for your vehicle is. They will look it up by the vin. I purchased my hub through Shop Genuine Mopar Parts and Accessories | My Mopar Parts. It was $31 not $200

Part #68397098ae is the latest for the 5th gen DT. Prob won’t work in the classic. They should be able to tell u.

Users who are viewing this thread