5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying from out of state for use in California?

Jofu

Reaction score
Hello guys, apologies if that's already been covered in existing thread, but a quick search didn't turn anything...

I'm in Northern California. If I were to buy a 2019 or 2020 RAM 1500 from out of state, is there anything specific I would have to look for? Are all RAM 1500 "California ready" so to speak, or do they have to be built specifically for California to receive some certification sticker?

As an example, Corvettes had for a many years a special option code for California emissions, so you'd have to go through a few hoops to bring the car here, although in recent years they've switched to all be California ready (thankfully).

Thanks guys!

Geoff

Wheeler

Reaction score
I am pretty sure almost every car sold in Main land is 48 lower state legal.
Watch for double tax though. California will charge sale tax when registered here in comifornia.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Where do you plan on buying? I believe there are 16 states that currently follow CARB specs, though some cars are speced 50 state regardless of where they are sold.

Also, new cars sold in California don't need a smog test until they are about 5 years old and then every other year after that. But I think if you bring in a car not originally registered there, even brand new, you will be required to pass a smog test to register it.

Jofu

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the replies! I don't know yet where I'd buy from, but I'm kind of picky with options I want... So it's forcing me to look all over the country on sites like AutoTrader.com, and that got me thinking about this :)

Geoff

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the replies! I don't know yet where I'd buy from, but I'm kind of picky with options I want... So it's forcing me to look all over the country on sites like AutoTrader.com, and that got me thinking about this :)

Geoff
Idaho has a couple big volume dealers, maybe you’ve run across them.
Dennis Dillon, Dave Smith to name a couple. If you tell us what you are looking for someone may spot one like it.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Be very careful.

One: truck must be California emissions spec. It probably will be, but you never know. I know of people who won a car in Las Vegas but couldn't bring it in -- had to return it to local dealer and take a few thousand dollar loss when they brought in a California spec car.
Two: DMV will charge you a small fortune in fees to make up for the lost sales tax revenue
Three: You'll even have to smog your vehicle with only a couple hundred miles
Four: And probably get it weighed at a certified weighmaster unless the unladen weight is on your out-of-state title.

Rick J

Reaction score
I'm in Washington State and the build sheet on my truck says 50 State Emissions. I ordered the truck and didn't specify the 50 State Emissions so I think it is standard. However, Washington follows the California standard so I'm not sure.if it was added automatically. The states that accept California emissions standards are Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington, as well as the District of Columbia. Maybe someone on this forum that doesn't live in one of these states can check the label under the hood. Also, maybe contact @RamCares and see if they can tell you.

myles

Reaction score
Hello guys, apologies if that's already been covered in existing thread, but a quick search didn't turn anything...

I'm in Northern California. If I were to buy a 2019 or 2020 RAM 1500 from out of state, is there anything specific I would have to look for? Are all RAM 1500 "California ready" so to speak, or do they have to be built specifically for California to receive some certification sticker?

As an example, Corvettes had for a many years a special option code for California emissions, so you'd have to go through a few hoops to bring the car here, although in recent years they've switched to all be California ready (thankfully).

Thanks guys!

Geoff
I just did this with my 2020 ram horn, I bought it from Minnesota.

I live in socal, all vehicles are 50 state legal now days

buying process:
- pretty much everything is over the phone/online
- will need to meet with a notary to sign everything
- will have the pay for shipping, I payed $1200 for Minnesota to Socal. Took about 10 days

Once you take delivery:
- need to get it smogged
- there won’t be any fees if the dealer does the paperwork right.
- after is smogged, go to DMV, get a visual inspection. Then they will send tags and plates

that’s it. Everything is pretty screwy right now at the DMV, been almost 4 months and I’m still waiting on tags/plates but I have proof it’s register in my truck in case I get pulled over.

Jofu

Reaction score
Thanks again guys for all the useful responses. Good to hear that all RAM 1500 appear to be 50-state legal (y)

Still looking at all the options, but I've been eyeing Laramie Longhorns, 4x4, 5'7" bed, with the black/saddle interior, but no air suspension and no panoramic roof for example. Less picky about exterior color, although Ivory White w/ Walnut Brown bottom is looking mighty good :love:

To be honest, I'm also still debating if I should pull the trigger in the first place, but I definitely wanted to know if buying out of state would be more trouble than not.

@myles good to hear you made it work! Will have to see if I can as well...

Geoff

Last edited:

flyingpoint

Reaction score
Thanks again guys for all the useful responses. Good to hear that all RAM 1500 appear to be 50-state legal (y)

Still looking at all the options, but I've been eyeing Laramie Longhorns, 4x4, 5'7" bed, with the black/saddle interior, but no air suspension and no panoramic roof for example. Less picky about exterior color, although Ivory White w/ Walnut Brown bottom is looking mighty good :love:

To be honest, I'm also still debating if I should pull the trigger in the first place, but I definitely wanted to know if buying out of state would be more trouble than not.

@myles good to hear you made it work! Will have to see if I can as well...

Geoff
Wow that sounds almost like what I wanted. Longhorn, Ivory white, no air ride, no panoramic roof. However, I also want 33gal gas tank, MFT, rambox, Offraod pkg though.

Jofu

Reaction score
Well, I was also eyeing the 33gal tank and rambox options, so it seems we're even closer than you thought haha.
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread