5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying a new ram 1500

fitter123

Reaction score
Ok so here goes. Out of all the new trucks that are out there I like one the most Aden’s that is the 2019 1500 ram. Next is the new Chevy. Here is my concern though I love the Ram and I’m just about ready to pull the trigger on a new Laramie. But I’m concerned about the reliability and rust. I know they all have issues But it’s been a very long time since I’ve been in the market And I’m only going by what dodge reputation was.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok so here goes. Out of all the new trucks that are out there I like one the most Aden’s that is the 2019 1500 ram. Next is the new Chevy. Here is my concern though I love the Ram and I’m just about ready to pull the trigger on a new Laramie. But I’m concerned about the reliability and rust. I know they all have issues But it’s been a very long time since I’ve been in the market And I’m only going by what dodge reputation was.

Do you live in an area where the roads are salted in winter? Do you live near the ocean, so that your vehicle is exposed to salt air, and/or in a low-lying area so that your truck will experience the occasional splash of salt if you run through seawater? It makes a difference where one lives. If you live in California, for example, rust in any make of vehicle is almost a complete non-issue, even at the 30-year mark. The other thing is, just make an effort to look carefully & objectively at ALL makes of vehicles where you live - your answer might be right in front of your eyes.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2012 had nary a hint of rust here in Missouri with our salt. Keep it clean, and you will be fine.

echristi

Reaction score
I was concerned about rust on the ram also. I went and got an oil undercoating put on, that I will do every year. The also go in the tailgate and bottom of the doors, so hopefully I will not have a rust issue

syddog 2000

Reaction score
I Have lived on the East coast, direct oceanfront for most of my 63 years . I have owned 16 dodge trucks as well as others and since the 80's have not had a problem with rust. Road salt in the winter, Ocean salt the rest of the year. Regular cleaning and detailing is the key.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome.

Depending on your location, no matter what people tell you, every make, type and year of vehicle will rust.

Pick the truck you want and take good care of it

Thanks for joining us

Users who are viewing this thread