5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying a new house. Will my truck fit?

270wsmhunter

Reaction score
I always look at how the garage will fit my future plans, had a couple places in the past where one of our new vehicles had to sit outside. Never again.

20Longhorn

Reaction score
So i'm buying a new house and it has a 2 car garage. the doors are 7 feet tall by 9 wide. Will my stock 2019 Laramie fit in the 7 foot tall door?
I have a 2020 Laramie longhorn with the 285/45/22 and Bilstein 5100 and park in 7 foot parking garage at work everyday with ease. I want to get 35s when it’s time for tires and think it will fit but I have to do some calculations to be sure

COSPILOT

Reaction score
One word of caution for any Ram owner (or frankly any large truck) is to pay attention to angled driveways or entrances and exits to parking garages. If in doubt stick your head out is my motto. Length is easy but height you have to be careful with. I’ll have to measure my “real” entrance height for my garage but with the angle and the shark fin being close to midpoint between axles it’s close at normal height but fine in entry mode.

Paultg

Reaction score
Cant try something that isn't built yet and because the garage is under the house they cant go more then the 7 foot tall door
Can the builder dig a deeper hole and just lower the garage floor for you?
Might need room for a diff step to basement door. Usually the garage floors around here are a diff elevation than the home (might be code).
I'm always thinking I’ll want a lift at my next place, and extra height is nice anyway if you are ever jacking a vehicle up.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We just got done building a new home and I was adamant about the garage being big enough. We went with two 10 ft wide by 8 ft high doors and 32 ft deep. I can’t imagine driving into a 8 ft wide door with my truck daily, I fold the mirrors in now and it’s a 10 ft door.

Paultg

Reaction score
Went out and measured the beam of my carport last night. 6’-8” to bottom. Plus my driveway is pretty steep upward angle to the entry. Sounds like it will be real close and the wife will get the car port for her ride. :confused:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
One thing I miss about my 4th gen was the front fender mounted antenna. I always knew I had enough clearance if the antenna didn't touch the ceiling of the parking structure. It was slightly higher than the shark fin. Came in handy in car washes and parking garages. Of course, that only worked for a level approach.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We just got done building a new home and I was adamant about the garage being big enough. We went with two 10 ft wide by 8 ft high doors and 32 ft deep. I can’t imagine driving into a 8 ft wide door with my truck daily, I fold the mirrors in now and it’s a 10 ft door.

Totally agree with that one. The garage was the first thing I spec'd out with a 16' high by 12' wide single door and a 8' high by 18' wide double next to it and 38' deep. You have to plan extra space for all of the toys!!! Unfortunately I still didn't plan big enough and the boat has to sit outside...

RAM5

Reaction score
I’m a commercial and residential home builder. I build custom and semi custom homes.

I have garages that range from the minimum dimension of 24’ (L) x 25’ (W) with a garage OH door rough opening of 16’ (L) x 8’ (H) .

I have a 2019 Ram Tradesman Hemi 4x4 Quad Cab and I will occasionally back into one of my garages to off load some tools to do punch work...I will say that the Ram I have with stock 18” wheels will fit under the OH garage door with some room to spare, however I can’t back totally into the garage and close the OH garage door without removing my tow ball mount and even then it’s tight fit. If there was another vehicle in the garage at the same time I want to back in ..I will not chance it because I will have to move my tow mirrors in and the doors will have limited room for opening.

I hope this helps...just try out a garage before a home purchase with your truck to ensure you will be happy with the figment

Majortom

Reaction score
It should fit height wise the question is length at least it was on my new house. I have maybe 2 inches to spare and that’s completely front to rear. 5’7 bed crew cab.
That is a near duplicate of how mine fits. Right up to the plywood and foam board!

Yogi217

Reaction score
My rental fit (still searching), but then we got this classic and well the wife gets the other spot, so my ram will live outside....
7c76a2c9491b82ffa91ef5536a3c0e99.jpg
0f2a798617aad2de7bc78d3fa7e18841.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

horish

Reaction score
I've been wondering this, as well. Mine is 22'D x 15'10"W x 6'10"H, so I think I'll have plenty of clearance with the depth (+31"), just enough height (+4.4"), but the width will probably be a problem. The wife drives a 2019 Grand Cherokee, which only allows for 30" of total clearance on all sides, and I don't think that accounts for mirrors. So giving her an extra 10" to make sure she doesn't rub them coming in, I'm left with only about 20" to play with. I think I'll be parking outside. My '08 F150 spent its life outside and survived a tornado and is still in good condition, so I expect my Ram to do the same and actually improve over time out there. :)

Wildlash

Reaction score
You can enlarge your garage. I don't think it is a severe problem. Contact a good company specialized in building garages, and I am sure you will find a way to solve your problem. If the garage can't be enlarged, you can park your truck in front of your house. Just order a gate from https://everlastgates.com/austin-texas-automatic-gate-repair-installation/ to protect it from thieves, and everything will be ok.

tdager

Reaction score
When we were looking for a house two years ago, a garage that could fit my truck was an absolute must. Hard to find in urban Cinci but got lucky and found and NO WAY would I ever go back to no garage for my vehicles, like never. :)

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I started looking for a truck I brought a crew cab home to see if it would fit. Wasn't really worried about height (the Rebel they gave me to try fit fine thru my 7' door), but length. Crew cab wasn't going to work :(. Realized later that the quad cab is about 4" shorter overall. Hardly ever have anyone in the back seat anyway, so I brought one of those home to try. Just fit! Crew cab would have worked if I didn't have the stupid step in front of the cars.
View attachment 48980 View attachment 48981
View attachment 48982

That stupid step can be defeated if you back in.

The distance between your back bumper and the rear wheel is greater so the rear of the bed overhangs the step.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That stupid step can be defeated if you back in.

The distance between your back bumper and the rear wheel is greater so the rear of the bed overhangs the step.
Can't back in unfortunately. As it is I have to hug the wall to give enough space between the cars and fold in my mirror to get past the door frame. Wouldn't be able to get out! 🤣 Wife's side of the garage also has a step on the side (as well as front) so it limits how far she can pull over too.

(Don't even ask about swapping sides! 😬)

Wildlash

Reaction score
I think it should fit it. Well, if not, you can enlarge the garage. It is not as complicated as you think. You can find many companies on the internet that offer help in this field. You can contact someone from https://www.boutiquehomeplans.com/cost-to-build. When I renovated my garage, guys from boutiquehomeplans helped me immensely with the renovation process. If you are interested, visit their website for more.

Users who are viewing this thread