5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying a new house. Will my truck fit?

wrcrallysport

Reaction score
So i'm buying a new house and it has a 2 car garage. the doors are 7 feet tall by 9 wide. Will my stock 2019 Laramie fit in the 7 foot tall door?

Luxy72462

Reaction score
Yep. Rebel w a 2.5” lift fits in the garage at work at 6’8”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrcrallysport

Reaction score
thank you. I didnt know if the fin of the antenna was included in the spec height or not

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would check out old threads on this, e.g.:

That thread also links to another one.

I know at least one member early on stated that he had damaged his shark fin...and that means he also damaged the roof, requiring a headliner removal (in turn requiring a windshield removal) for repair. Something to avoid!

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It should fit height wise the question is length at least it was on my new house. I have maybe 2 inches to spare and that’s completely front to rear. 5’7 bed crew cab.

Attachments

• F8C986C8-14E0-4EF5-873E-5F0C395DB8C5.jpeg
    F8C986C8-14E0-4EF5-873E-5F0C395DB8C5.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 254
  • 0DD4B393-1114-49B2-8AD9-D0A33B4F1B19.jpeg
    0DD4B393-1114-49B2-8AD9-D0A33B4F1B19.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 251

wrcrallysport

Reaction score
It should fit height wise the question is length at least it was on my new house. I have maybe 2 inches to spare and that’s completely front to rear. 5’7 bed crew cab.
I'm good on length. its 28 feet deep and 24 wide, but because its built under the house they can only go p to 7 foot tall doors so that was my concern. the doors are 9 feet wide. i have the tow package and will need to pull in my drivers mirror before backing in

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I'm good on length. its 28 feet deep and 24 wide, but because its built under the house they can only go p to 7 foot tall doors so that was my concern. the doors are 9 feet wide. i have the tow package and will need to pull in my drivers mirror before backing in
Ill trade you some length for height.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes it should fit, I've been looking at house and a lot of houses around my area have 8' wide doors. I think that is the stupidest thing ever to put an 8' wide garage door on any modern house. You can squeeze a full size truck or SUV through an 8' door with the mirrors folded but it is pretty dangerous and even cars and crossovers are getting wider these days.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We were limited on width when expanding our ‘40s ranch (by the property line), so I could lengthen but not change the width of our garage (25’+ long by ~17.5’ wide interior). So I opted for a single 16’ x 7’ carriage door, and we’re able to fit my Ram, a midsize crossover, a motorcycle, a fridge, two trash carts, a wall of 6’ tall storage cabinets, and a rolling tool chest in that floor area. I also have a couple of hanging bikes.

By going with a single door, we can back in the SUV against one side, pull my Ram in against the other side, and have just enough space down the middle to comfortably climb in/out of the vehicles. I don’t fold my (non-tow) mirrors in until I am parked, as I use the passenger side mirror as a guide to position my truck near the wall. But then I power-fold them to keep the center “aisle” clear.

It sounds like you’ve got plenty of width, which is a nice luxury to have!

wrcrallysport

Reaction score
We were limited on width when expanding our ‘40s ranch (by the property line), so I could lengthen but not change the width of our garage (25’+ long by ~17.5’ wide interior). So I opted for a single 16’ x 7’ carriage door, and we’re able to fit my Ram, a midsize crossover, a motorcycle, a fridge, two trash carts, a wall of 6’ tall storage cabinets, and a rolling tool chest in that floor area. I also have a couple of hanging bikes.

By going with a single door, we can back in the SUV against one side, pull my Ram in against the other side, and have just enough space down the middle to comfortably climb in/out of the vehicles. I don’t fold my (non-tow) mirrors in until I am parked, as I use the passenger side mirror as a guide to position my truck near the wall. But then I power-fold them to keep the center “aisle” clear.

It sounds like you’ve got plenty of width, which is a nice luxury to have!

I dont like the look of the single over sized door. I have the 2019 Laramie and the wife has a 2018 Grand Cherokee limited. so we need the space

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Ive always preferred a single 16’ door just cause its one less side to worry about hitting compared to double doors. All it takes is one f up and you’ll wish you had a single.
I hated my double door garage.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am surprised you didn't try it before buying the house.....I've done that in the past years ago......it's like new pants....gotta try them on.

Scottke

Reaction score
This is something that hit me right in the gut after buying my truck a week ago today.. after signing the papers and hopping on the highway to get it home, I thought “oh ****! Is this gonna fit”? Our garage is 26x26. 7’ tall door. My truck is a 2020 Bighorn Crew 5’7”. Luckily it cleared easily. The antenna clears the door by approximately 4”. Congrats on your new home! 14398748-0EEA-4448-A141-A2C06231F108.jpeg

wrcrallysport

Reaction score
I am surprised you didn't try it before buying the house.....I've done that in the past years ago......it's like new pants....gotta try them on.

Cant try something that isn't built yet and because the garage is under the house they cant go more then the 7 foot tall door

wrcrallysport

Reaction score
This is something that hit me right in the gut after buying my truck a week ago today.. after signing the papers and hopping on the highway to get it home, I thought “oh ****! Is this gonna fit”? Our garage is 26x26. 7’ tall door. My truck is a 2020 Bighorn Crew 5’7”. Luckily it cleared easily. The antenna clears the door by approximately 4”. Congrats on your new home! View attachment 48914
Thank you.. My worries are gone. I cant wait for it to be built. I have to wait until sometime in September. gonna be a long wait haha

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
All you guys with 26’x26’ garages dont know how lucky you are! Spec builders like mine dont think people want to park trucks inside I guess. If I had bought the 6’4” bed mine would be sitting outside, like all the Ferd Super Duty’s in my neighborhood do...
LOL, $75000 trucks outside...

Last edited by a moderator:

maddog49

Reaction score
Your making me appreciate my 20x8 door. Plenty of room to get out on each side of the vehicle and no height concerns. It seems like any stock ram will fit under a 7 foot door.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I started looking for a truck I brought a crew cab home to see if it would fit. Wasn't really worried about height (the Rebel they gave me to try fit fine thru my 7' door), but length. Crew cab wasn't going to work :(. Realized later that the quad cab is about 4" shorter overall. Hardly ever have anyone in the back seat anyway, so I brought one of those home to try. Just fit! Crew cab would have worked if I didn't have the stupid step in front of the cars.
20200124_140000.jpg 20200124_140017.jpg
20200124_140020.jpg

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you're all set...I have same dimensions only reverse...24 deep, 28 wide. 7 foot high opening. I have about 12 inches to spare in the front, and enough space in the rear to open the tailgate with garage door down. The first time I pulled it in, I was nervous so I lowered truck to EE level...then went up to "Normal" level once inside to see if everything cleared....yup. So now I can leave it in "Normal" height when I pull in.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cant try something that isn't built yet and because the garage is under the house they cant go more then the 7 foot tall door

Makes sense....didn't realize house wasn't built....I think it will fit....you can always buy a carport.

Users who are viewing this thread