5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying 1st truck - advice on bed length

dajogejr

Reaction score
I don't like either Ram Box or Multi Function tail gate, but to each his own.
I’m in the camp of love ‘em (Ram box) and have my first truck with a multi function tailgate.
I can only say my 2015 that had ram boxes, traded in with just over 140K on the clock, never had an issue.
My 2023 design is different, push button electric Vs the old push button mechanical.
So far no issues, but… not a big sample size. It’s nice to store stuff in them that rarely get used, but you’re sure glad to have It when you do…. Keeping my ice scraper/brush and my ratchet ties downs in there is nice, no more bouncing around inside the cab.

I wanted the MFT for my new truck, I really, really like it. Paired with the factory step, very, very easy to get stuff in and out of the bed without leaning over the tailgate…. I took another member’s advice and siliconed the 4 bumper stops for it as they just twist to lock and I could see them getting lost/coming out.
I also bought the amazon seal kit for the tailgate. Pain to put on, crap instructions, but the sealing of the tailgate is much better. If I power wash a little can still get in, but so far from rain and normal weather, it stays dry back there.

Like you said to each their own for sure. I can appreciate and respect the thought process of more things to break eventually.. :)

spyder

Reaction score
I don't know that I'd let a truck being dirty keep me from buying it, if it was what I wanted. I can clean it. Or I can have it professionally detailed for a couple hundred bucks. Sounds like a silly reason to pass on it.

AleksanderSuave

Reaction score
This has always been my debate.
Came from a non-crew cab "standard" bed , to currently a crew cab/short length bed.
There are a few times I've missed the larger bed. Packing for trips is the big one.
Having to choose one or the other sucks. Having both is on my "want" list, not necessarily sure that I need it though.

I park a lot in the city, and similar areas, its already tough to fit a truck there. For hauling bikes...we use a locking thule hitch mounted carrier. That adds similar length to the standard bed, and reversing in a few areas has been a bit more difficult due to it.

Cant fit my truck in the garage now so thats irrelevant.
If you plan on keeping it long term, it might be nicer to get the larger bed. However...you can always add a hitch mounted load extender for longer lumber or similar, that the 9" or so of extra bed wont make a difference in. You can add a cap to add height to the lockable area..you can add a rack to the bed, and plenty of other accessories to increase your utility, that can be removed once you're done using it for that purpose and still give you what you need.

I keep my folding load extender under the rear seat, and it comes out whenever I need it at the hardware story. Easy enough to use. I dont want my bikes bouncing in the bed if they're laid down, so thats irrelevant to me, and its quick enough to use the thule rack instead of wasting time tying it down in the bed.

Ive seen guys having issues selling a crew cab truck with the 6'+/standard sized beds when they're ready to move on. Everyone in truck groups/forums loves to say thats what they want, but then nobody buys it in reality. Its why so few of them are made now.

Jedi9

Reaction score
Had to have the 6' 4", no brainer, especially with a toolbox. And they look good with a quad cab. I'd like more room in the back seat but I need the room in the bed.

Users who are viewing this thread