5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying 1st truck - advice on bed length

strinos

Reaction score
Apologies if this topic has been beaten to death. I’m new to the forum and the truck community at large.

I’ve never owned a truck and am set on buying a CPO 1500 laramie crew cab. I found one that seems perfect, but I am torn because it has the 6’4” bed, which I understand is rare with the crew cab.

I am weighing the trade offs between the utility of a larger bed and the potential unwieldy size when it comes to everyday driving. I live in the suburbs and don’t need a truck for work or hauling, but rather for recreational activities like hunting, road trips with three kids and all our crap, and the occassional trip to Lowe’s/HD.

I know the differences on paper, but would love to hear thoughts on the real differences in driving experience between a 5’7 and 6’4. Is it significant? Just a matter of getting used to?

And again, apologies if this topic has been drained. Thanks in advance.

PetePA

Reaction score
FWIW, you're going to be spending a lot of money on this so get what you'll be happy with. From what it sounds like, you'll be happier with the shorter bed. A lot of us on here are waiting upwards of 9 months to ensure we get what we're looking for. The wait sucks, but it will pay off in the long run. IMHO ofc.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Apologies if this topic has been beaten to death. I’m new to the forum and the truck community at large.

I’ve never owned a truck and am set on buying a CPO 1500 laramie crew cab. I found one that seems perfect, but I am torn because it has the 6’4” bed, which I understand is rare with the crew cab.

I am weighing the trade offs between the utility of a larger bed and the potential unwieldy size when it comes to everyday driving. I live in the suburbs and don’t need a truck for work or hauling, but rather for recreational activities like hunting, road trips with three kids and all our crap, and the occassional trip to Lowe’s/HD.

I know the differences on paper, but would love to hear thoughts on the real differences in driving experience between a 5’7 and 6’4. Is it significant? Just a matter of getting used to?

parking and garage length are big concerns with the 6.5
but i like the extra room the 6.5 offers

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you don't have a need for a longer bed you'll be better off with the short bed. It's so much easier to deal with parking and maneuvering around parking lots. Do you plan to park this in a garage? If so bed length can be an issue if your garage is smaller.

Ciege

Reaction score
I have the 6'4" and I love it.
I'm camping and hunting frequently so it's nice to have that extra space. It's also great to be able to sleep in the bed fully stretched out.
It's definitely unwieldy parking (especially with a lift) and doesn't fit in my garage. But for me that's a fine tradeoff.

But as others have said. Get what makes you happy. Your money and your happiness in the long run.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

About the only time it will make a significant difference is if trying to park in a garage

Rock Crawler

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had both and I never noticed any difference when it comes to driving, maneuvering, or parking in a lot. As stated above, if you are parking in a short garage, and the longer bed won’t fit, then that might be a reason choose the shorter bed. I‘ve never regretted the longer bed, but I have regretted the shorter bed which is why I will never own another one.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve owned both.
I like 6’4””.
I do use it a lot for lots hunting crap and farm stuff. No prob parking at all with cameras.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve had both and honestly notice little if any difference when driving. Smaller box isn’t a drastic difference in my garage either. My last two Laramie’s had the 6’4” box and I absolutely regret buying my current 5’7” box. I haul a lot of stuff in the bed and that loss of 9” is a pretty big deal to me especially when loading up building/remodeling supplies.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I like the longer bed. Sorry, I know useless information...:cool: bigger is always better...:ROFLMAO:

Get the 6'4" bed!

Attachments

• IMG_20240804_135509.jpg
    IMG_20240804_135509.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20240803_082145.jpg
    IMG_20240803_082145.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20240804_113946.jpg
    IMG_20240804_113946.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 17

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My last Ram had the 6.4 inch bed and my current one has the 5.7 inch bed. I've noticed no difference whatsoever in parking or maneuvering. Both fit what I need to haul just fine.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the short bed and camp and at time wish I had the bigger bed but that’s only the rare occasion I am making a run for lumber and need something over 12’

Dewey

Reaction score
I've had both short and long beds. You won't notice much difference driving them and 9" will hardly make a difference in what you can or can't haul. The major difference is how the truck looks. The long bed is ugly and the short bed isn't. 🤣
You mean short and standard. This is the long bed.😉

The RAM limo😆
IMG_3513.jpeg

Jmac509

Reaction score
Will you and the kids ever be bicycling? Will your bikes fit in a 5' bed?

I wanted the long bed in the event I ever want to sleep in the truck. I could with my 1988 Ranger!
This is one of the reasons I bought a 6'4" bed. My bicycles will not fit straight on in the 5"4' bed making carrying more than one bike difficult. I see guys with 5'4" beds with bicycle racks in the trailer hitch.

Also if you fish or ski that extra distance may be the difference between being able to fit your stuff in and close a tonneau cover or not.

The tonneau cover when rolled up might take another 6" out of your bed space for something like a bicycle.

There are real downsides to the longer bed length though. with the 6'4" bed you will be longer than a standard parking space. I've personally never had any trouble living in a densely populated city however it is something to be aware of. I would also recommend the 360 camera, it's a life saver in tight situations.

Scram1500

Reaction score
I got the 6'4" bed because that's the only option for a quad cab

Nebomike

Reaction score
I have owned small trucks and the bed size was too small. All my full size trucks have had 6'4" beds and I would not go smaller again. My present Ram is a quad. I may have went for a crew cab but other than special ordering or going to 2500, I would have stuck with a small bed.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had both and I never noticed any difference when it comes to driving, maneuvering, or parking in a lot. As stated above, if you are parking in a short garage, and the longer bed won’t fit, then that might be a reason choose the shorter bed. I‘ve never regretted the longer bed, but I have regretted the shorter bed which is why I will never own another one.
True, but dont' think a short bed will fit in a standard 20' garage either. Mine is about 4" to long, unless I park at an angle across both spots. Can't wait to build my next house and have at least a 25-30' deep garage.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can only speak from the 5'7" box perspective. Relative to a car or midsize SUV, parking will always be harder, though not difficult. I usually back in to spots because it's faster than doing the pull-in, back-up, pull back in thing that is often necessary. My truck doesn't fit in my garage as it is, so no loss for me there. If given the choice now...I'd certainly opt for the longer bed for the overall utility gain. And you will love the Laramie trim...Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread