5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buy now or just relax?

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just as a reference for those concerned about current incentives. I got $14,000 off MSRP the week before Christmas two years ago here in Michigan.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also disagree with many of the comments made here. Mark Dodge in Louisiana is advertising vehicles on their lot with discounts equaling $10k for the Rebel, $12k for the Laramie and $15k for the Limited. You might also be able to add the Chrysler bonus dollars that they offer on the website.

I got 19% off MSRP for my 2021 Rebel. I didn't apply for any rebates, except the $500 for financing with Chrysler Credit. I did not use USAA, TrueCar, Military, realtor, first responder, etc. I did have a $1500 bonus cash as part of the 19%. When was the last time you saw about 20% off? That is pre Covid pricing, so I think the deals are there if you can find them.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I got 19% off MSRP for my 2021 Rebel. I didn't apply for any rebates, except the $500 for financing with Chrysler Credit. I did not use USAA, TrueCar, Military, realtor, first responder, etc. I did have a $1500 bonus cash as part of the 19%. When was the last time you saw about 20% off? That is pre Covid pricing, so I think the deals are there if you can find them.

I got 18.3% off MSRP...I was very pleased with my deal as well.

U

User_3336

Just as a reference for those concerned about current incentives. I got $14,000 off MSRP the week before Christmas two years ago here in Michigan.
Comparing incentives from TWO years ago isn't a very good comparison, period. Things change, and this year has been unlike 2 years ago.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Comparing incentives from TWO years ago isn't a very good comparison, period. Things change, and this year has been unlike 2 years ago.
Not necessarily true, two posts above this one, someone reports the exact same numbers on a 2021 that I got two years ago. And my point was/is, closer to the end of the month will more than likely be better. Thanks for your insight though.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well, some of you may have gotten lucky, or maybe I'm just wrong.

However, it doesn't make sense to me why a dealer would take a trade on a used truck, give you much more for it today than they normally would, then give you a brand new truck applying such heavy discounts that it actually makes financially sense for you to trade. To me, that sounds way too good to be true. Trucks are in high demand, raising the cost of both used and new alike. Why would only the cost of used trucks go up, and not new trucks?

But yeah if you get lucky, definitely go for it. I just don't think it's going to happen for the majority of people.

shredwardc

Reaction score
I purchased my 2021 rebel MSRP $62k 2 weeks ago for about $51k using employee pricing (about $6600 off), a $1500 bonus cash, and me talking them down about another $3000. They gave me $17,500 for my 14 outdoorsman with 115,00 miles which is right at what KBB said the value for it was. Plus they had a dealer gift of a free Stihl chainsaw too lol so I think that deal was good enough. Watched the prices and talked to dealers occasionally for almost a year.

river rat

Reaction score
Incentives and other discounts should not dictate the price for you, they are just tactics to get folks in the door. Decide what you think is a fair price and negotiate. At the end of the day, if you are comfortable with the deal, thats all that matters.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To the original poster: you need to find the right dealer. You can't just walk into any dealer and get a good deal right now, even with negotiating. A few mentioned on here are Lakeland in FL, Mark Dodge in Louisiana, and Dillon in Boise.

I'll throw one more out there: Van Horn in Wisconsin (they have a Dodge/Chrysler/RAM dealer in Manitowoc, just south of Madison, and Plymouth which is a little NW of Milwaukee). They have pretty good no-haggle prices, 12-14% off MSRP plus rebates on Laramies. I would have bought from them when I bought my truck but they didn't have a truck on their lot I was interested in and they didn't make much (any) effort to dealer trade. But if they have one on any of their 3 lots you like, their pricing is good. They offered me a good trade value, too on my 2018 F-150.

With trade prices so high, now might be a decent time to buy if you go with the right dealer.

TxAg98

Reaction score
If you find something you like and it fits your budget, go for it. I just picked up a Laramie last night for 22% off MSRP.

RMTaylor1956

Reaction score
My step-son, who is a Ram salesman in Texas, told us that they seldom know what FCA will be offering for incentives in the upcoming months.

genreviam

Reaction score
I might be too picky :). I am having a hard time finding a truck with the options I need/want (and without the ones I don't want!)
I had the same issue with my 2018 Charger so I ordered it.
I would love to use the dealers mentioned, but I'm in Denver so it would be too far to drive (I have to do the trade-in). I COULD drive to Boise....
Anyone have experience with doing an out of state dealer with a trade-in?

U

User_3336

Well, some of you may have gotten lucky, or maybe I'm just wrong.

However, it doesn't make sense to me why a dealer would take a trade on a used truck, give you much more for it today than they normally would, then give you a brand new truck applying such heavy discounts that it actually makes financially sense for you to trade. To me, that sounds way too good to be true. Trucks are in high demand, raising the cost of both used and new alike. Why would only the cost of used trucks go up, and not new trucks?

But yeah if you get lucky, definitely go for it. I just don't think it's going to happen for the majority of people.

Lucky might be the word here. Sometimes, I simply DO NOT believe the big HUGE deals people brag about on here.

Its like this, a dealer IS NOT going to lose money on ANY transaction. If they were willing, it most likely would be one of two scenarios.
(1) Aged inventory. This might score you a tremendous deal on a previous year model (eg 360+ days) Dealer wants it gone. Perhaps willing to take a loss.
(2) Its end of month, and they are 2-3 vehicles away from meeting from some sales goal. Many times, the dealer will NET MORE on bonuses and back end money, than if they took a slight loss on a vehicle.

Rarely is a dealer willing to sell at their true cost, even throwing in their holdback. Rebates are rebates, and they can't just pull rebates that don't exist out of the air. Sometimes dealers have FCA coupons they can use to push a deal over the fence.

For those of you boasting some super unbelieveable deal you got at the present, lets see your bill of sale!

njt07

Reaction score
Lucky might be the word here. Sometimes, I simply DO NOT believe the big HUGE deals people brag about on here.

Its like this, a dealer IS NOT going to lose money on ANY transaction. If they were willing, it most likely would be one of two scenarios.
(1) Aged inventory. This might score you a tremendous deal on a previous year model (eg 360+ days) Dealer wants it gone. Perhaps willing to take a loss.
(2) Its end of month, and they are 2-3 vehicles away from meeting from some sales goal. Many times, the dealer will NET MORE on bonuses and back end money, than if they took a slight loss on a vehicle.

Rarely is a dealer willing to sell at their true cost, even throwing in their holdback. Rebates are rebates, and they can't just pull rebates that don't exist out of the air. Sometimes dealers have FCA coupons they can use to push a deal over the fence.

For those of you boasting some super unbelieveable deal you got at the present, lets see your bill of sale!
I dont think its luck... its more being prepared with numbers, research and giving the dealer your out the door price with AND without trade in. I think a lot of people probably get what they ask for, but here is where it goes off the rails. If the dealer meets their request they think they can get an even better deal and thats where the deal falls through.

This is what I got 2 weeks ago. I think it was a good deal on a truck they had just received. I figured out what my out the door target was and stuck to it. I could probably have gotten a bit more but I got my target and when the6 met it I was happy and bought it.

2021 Limited Hemi Etorque
MSRP: $74,295 <— includes destination fee
INVOICE from NADA: $67,874

Discounts:
Employee Pricing Plus: $9,330
Retail Cash: $1000
Military: $500
FCA Finance (minimum financed): $500
FCA Popup Cash incentive (?): $1500
Dealer Discount: $965
TOTAL: $13,795

Discounted out the door price with TTL: $60,500

Trade-in: $11,500

Out the door: $49,000

Got Mopar maxcare 8Year, 100k, $200 deductible (and 7 years oil changes supposedly from mopar but 2 per year...): $2,573
— are these oil change credits or whatever you call them really accepted at all CDJR service centers??

Percentage off MSRP before trade and TTL: 18.57%
Percentage off NADA Invoice: 10.86%

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like I said, my deal was so easy that anybody could have gotten it. The dealer's website was advertising the truck, built in late October 2020, at $9500 off MSRP, plus a conditional rebate of $500 If I financed thru Chrysler, for a total of $10k off. No questions or games! Then there was the $1500 bonus cash added, for a total of $11500 off MSRP on a $60k truck. Mark Dodge advertises the price of their vehicles right on their website.

Did I get exactly what I wanted for options, no. But after thinking about it, I decided that some of the options I was looking for, I never had before and really didn't NEED them. Am I going to miss out on a great price because I wanted the Bed Utility Group and this truck doesn't have it? Do I need to have second row heated seats and wireless charging for my phone? No. I've done without both forever, so they were not a need.

Look for a good price and think about the options it has or doesn't have and ask yourself if you really NEED them, or can you live without some you might have wanted.

U

User_3336

Got Mopar maxcare 8Year, 100k, $200 deductible (and 7 years oil changes supposedly from mopar but 2 per year...): $2,573
— are these oil change credits or whatever you call them really accepted at all CDJR service centers??

Percentage off MSRP before trade and TTL: 18.57%
Percentage off NADA Invoice: 10.86%
OUCH! The dealer definitely got some of their money back from you in that Mopar ESP.

From Zeigler, you could have gotten the ESP alone for $1665.

Don't know what kind of "oil credits" you received, but there was a mopar oil change package 2 per year for $75. so 75 x 3 + 38 = 262 ... 1665 + 252 = 1917

Ehhh, you could have saved about ~ $656 buying the ESP and oil change package from ZEIGLER.

njt07

Reaction score
OUCH! The dealer definitely got some of their money back from you in that Mopar ESP.

From Zeigler, you could have gotten the ESP alone for $1665.

Don't know what kind of "oil credits" you received, but there was a mopar oil change package 2 per year for $75. so 75 x 3 + 38 = 262 ... 1665 + 252 = 1917

Ehhh, you could have saved about ~ $656 buying the ESP and oil change package from ZEIGLER.
I dont know where your getting your numbers from, but when i called Ziegler, they were offering the same plan I bought for $2,075, so $500 less than what I got. Factor in 2 oil changes a year for 7 years at $50 a pop and its equivalent to $700 give or take.

U

User_3336

I dont know where your getting your numbers from, but when i called Ziegler, they were offering the same plan I bought for $2,075, so $500 less than what I got. Factor in 2 oil changes a year for 7 years at $50 a pop and its equivalent to $700 give or take.
Well, Here is the quote for YOUR plan. and it isn't $2075! Looks like $1675.
POINT BEING > > You overpaid on your ESP.

zeigler.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread