5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bumper Shield Magnum Installed

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Dirtfreak turned me on to these here so I figured since I live in one of the competing areas for "most rear end accidents" I'd try this out. Super Bumper makes a hitch mounted step but it's big enough to set off your backup sensors so I went with the Bumper Shield since it can be mounted up close or 4" out. I tried the 4" and the sensors went off. In the closer installation it's <2" out from the hitch.

I was interested in these because they are shock absorbing as opposed to a normal hitch. Plus the one I got is 3/8" steel and is 20" x 6". Reminds me of one of those round locomotive bumpers. Maybe I should put a Ram logo on it? I'm still toying with painting it to match or getting it LineX'd.

It comes with an assortment of inner and outer hard rubber fittings so you can custom fit it. When mounted in close like I did you don't get as much shock absorption. You do need to compress the bumpers to install it (eliminates rattling) so don't even think about installing one of these when it's cold outside. I had to wait for a 70 degree day to get them to flex enough to install. You just compress it on and slide your hitch pin in.

20190212_151032.jpg

20190212_151100.jpg

20190212_151109.jpg

Guess I'll have to wait to get rear-ended to fully recommend but if you're looking for some insurance, this seems like a decent way to go.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks cool. Can you step on it? I installed a smittybilt beaver hitch step and it doesn’t set off my sensors. But that looks nice and clean.

It doesn't fold or anything, just welded as a heavy duty bumper. You could step on it, but you'd only be stepping on the edge of the steel plate.

I've got the Mopar bed step on the driver's side to get into the bed with.

AndreiV

Reaction score
I ordered SPAREBUMPER MODEL 424 SPB (BLACK) directly from OEM website. It also acts as a step. Comes with free front end license plate bumper guards, not even sure how they look. Will post pictures on the weekend once I receive it

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice.

I have the Tyger Hitch Armor step and it does not set off my sensors. Hopefully I never have to test its ability to absorb impact, but I think it will do pretty good.

AndreiV

Reaction score
Just received my superbumper.
FYI, my truck has no fancy sensors.
It has two large rubber shock absorbers outside on the hitch and 2 or 4 small inside the hitch.
Next item on the shopping list is a bull bar.

Attachments

• 0301191519.jpg
    0301191519.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 0301191724.jpg
    0301191724.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread