5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Built to Serve Bumpers

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2020 Built to Serve is currently in a collision center after being rear ended. I had to reject the repair yesterday as they painted the rear bumper a gloss/semi-gloss black which doesn’t match a single other black piece on the truck. They’re going to be repainting it.

In my research, it appears these bumpers come powder coated from the factory (not painted) and are the same bumpers found on the Tradesman trim level. The collision center says that the bumper arrived in just a primer.

Based on photos of the oem bumper, the “primer” appears to be a dead on match to the black color the bumpers on our trucks should be.

My question - is the “primer” the collision center is eluding to actually a paintable powder coat? And they should just be installing the bumper as-is right out of the box?

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
I had a similar issue where the color didn’t match when the body shop ordered a rear bumper from mopar. I was sideswiped 10 days after I purchased the truck. After waiting months for the parts (covid) the bumper didn’t match. It practically looked blue rather than flat black. The truck had to go back and be repaired again. I will check my records later to see if they replaced or repainted to get the color to match. That being said the color now matches perfectly.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a similar issue where the color didn’t match when the body shop ordered a rear bumper from mopar. I was sideswiped 10 days after I purchased the truck. After waiting months for the parts (covid) the bumper didn’t match. It practically looked blue rather than flat black. The truck had to go back and be repaired again. I will check my records later to see if they replaced or repainted to get the color to match. That being said the color now matches perfectly.

@2021EcoDiesel I appreciate you looking at your records and providing any information you can. Thanks!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have my factory BTS bumper sitting outside my garage. Has a few scratches in it from driving through cornfield during deer season, but other than that it's in good shape.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
@2021EcoDiesel I appreciate you looking at your records and providing any information you can. Thanks!
Just looked over my receipts from the body work. Originally the order was written as “Bumper ordered new from Ram/Mopar: Primed, add for clear coat”
I assume this was then installed as just a primed not painted bumper.

The correction and second repair was written as “Bumper removed, coated to match, and reinstalled.” So the shop either sent it out for powder or painted it to match the rest of the truck.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just looked over my receipts from the body work. Originally the order was written as “Bumper ordered new from Ram/Mopar: Primed, add for clear coat”
I assume this was then installed as just a primed not painted bumper.

The correction and second repair was written as “Bumper removed, coated to match, and reinstalled.” So the shop either sent it out for powder or painted it to match the rest of the truck.
@2021EcoDiesel thank you for the additional information. The shop will be repainting the bumper, so hopefully the second time will be a closer match.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have my factory BTS bumper sitting outside my garage. Has a few scratches in it from driving through cornfield during deer season, but other than that it's in good shape.
This isn't a for sale thread. Please go to the for sale section and create a for sale thread there. Be sure to follow the rules and include a pic of the item with a hand written note which includes the forum name, your user name, and the date. :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :p:p:p

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@HSKR R/T since you have one to look at, are there by chance any stickers/decals on the inside of the bumper that were applied at the factory with any codes/numbers/etc.?

Users who are viewing this thread