5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building to high payload/towing capacity

TAL2GK

Reaction score
Yeah, track car/track weekends. I will be taking the family and our gear, though. Last time we took two tow vehicles - one for the boat and one for the car hauler. (Road Atlanta would be the only place I'd do this since it's so close to Lake Lanier.)

Compared to what the boys doing the IKE Gauntlet are doing (TFL Trucks), this seems like a light load.

TAL2GK

Reaction score
OK - I just spent the evening reading the other towing threads - especially the one detailing all the measurements and ratings. It sure seems like payload is a real problem. My question is how does Ford get their higher payload numbers on F150s? I had pretty much made up my mind on Ram 1500 Longhorn, but seriously wondering if I need to take a second look at 2500 or a heavy payload F150. (I'll be watching their reveal tomorrow night before any decisions are made!)

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK - I just spent the evening reading the other towing threads - especially the one detailing all the measurements and ratings. It sure seems like payload is a real problem. My question is how does Ford get their higher payload numbers on F150s? I had pretty much made up my mind on Ram 1500 Longhorn, but seriously wondering if I need to take a second look at 2500 or a heavy payload F150. (I'll be watching their reveal tomorrow night before any decisions are made!)

Not sure how much research you've done into the Ford but their payload starts going down once you get to crew cab and what not. The aluminum body also helps.

CC2AF2A1-ADB4-4A78-AACC-DE0D259AB0F8.jpeg

So you can see that's basically a work truck w/ the v8. They may drop some bombshells with the new truck but if you're really after the creature comforts that the higher trims bring and the high payload then you need to step up to a bigger truck.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure how much research you've done into the Ford but their payload starts going down once you get to crew cab and what not. The aluminum body also helps.

View attachment 60086

So you can see that's basically a work truck w/ the v8. They may drop some bombshells with the new truck but if you're really after the creature comforts that the higher trims bring and the high payload then you need to step up to a bigger truck.
So glad you showed this. I wanted to say that but I do not research the competition.

A max payload, max towing truck...it is never gonna be the one in the picture.

He'll, we still haven't got anybody who ordered the max tow RAM. NO ONE HERE has replied to my thread about the Super Dana 60

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve wanted to get a 2500 or 3500 before I got my current truck. I talked myself out of it and now regret it. My truck handles what I do with it just fine but I wish I would have went with my gut. Now I’d lose my *** if I wanted to make the upgrade. If I were you I’d get an HD, you won’t have to worry about payload or towing. Just pull your trailer around worry free

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online