5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building to high payload/towing capacity

TAL2GK

Reaction score
New to trucks but here because of my Jeep Grand Cherokee - which I love - doesn't have the payload capacity and is at the top of my trailer weight to pull my Trailex enclosed car hauler. I'm pretty sure I've locked in on a Longhorn with 3.92 rear end, off-road package, 20" wheels (which will likely be swapped out for 18's with larger A/T tire like Nitto Ridge Grappler post delivery), and air suspension. So far no dealer can tell me where this build would land me on payload capacity or towing.

My trailer is roughly 7,000 loaded, but I'd like to have the margin of error of getting to 11,000 towing capacity and 1,700 payload. I see lots of these sitting on dealer lots, just not with the components I want. Someone check me here, because I don't want to buy a 1500 and feel like I should've gotten a 2500. I hate walking into dealers and knowing more than the salesmen. I need more information, I don't need to provide them information.

7000 loaded, properly distributed you should be ok pending the options you selected and what you're putting in the truck while towing. My truck (build below) has 1500 pounds of payload. The Longhorns are the heaviest of the bunch, and off-road package, options take away from that. You'll always run out of payload before towing.

If you want to build to a high payload capacity, you need to be looking at lower trim, lighter trucks.

I hear you, but this tells me I should be ok: https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html Still waiting to hear anything official, though.

But even the salesmen are confused when we look at the sticker on the driver's door jamb vs. what the chart says. I know it depends on specific options, but I've seen plenty of specs on dealer websites at 1,700 lbs or even 1,800 lbs payload.

Don't pay attention to the website or anything else until you see that door jamb sticker. That's what's printed after the truck is built and weighed. Not every sunroof weighs exactly the same, not every transfer case weighs the same, etc so the charts and site aren't going to give the proper answers.

As an example, using the website I got a "max payload" of 1740 pounds with my truck. That did not include options such as pano roof, bedliner, equipment group, etc. Just rebel crewcab 4x4 Hemi. My actual weight using my VIN or sticker is 1513, which DOES include all the options. Including myself, my wife, two kids with no luggage, I'm probably down close to 1000 pounds just from people and car seats alone.

I will say that they have underestimated the payload capability of these trucks significantly especially with Air Suspension. I have gone way, way, way, (4,020 lbs was the most) over my payload (1345 lbs) numerous times with no issues. The air suspension doesn't even complain until I hit 2,000 lbs. These trucks are workhorses.

I will say that they have underestimated the payload capability of these trucks significantly especially with Air Suspension. I have gone way, way, way, (4,020 lbs was the most) over my payload (1345 lbs) numerous times with no issues. The air suspension doesn't even complain until I hit 2,000 lbs. These trucks are workhorses.
That's all well and good. Most of us have gone over payload as well, although I wouldn't suggest going so far as to put 4k pounds in the bed. That's severe stress on not only the bed, but everything else underneath it. Also, being slightly over payload for short trips (load of dirt, mulch, gravel, etc) is different than being over payload hauling a trailer for hundreds of miles in terms of wear on the truck.

Just remember if you are over capacity you are open to legal action, both criminal and civil. Not only is it dangerous to go over the rated capacity of the vehicle (for other's sake), it is also illegal. Trying to argue "But I've done this dozens of times, and there weren't any issues!" would be something to see in court.

. I need more information, I don't need to provide them information.
We literally just answered these same questions yesterday.

I love to talk about payload and towing. I really do. But, we have so many threads that are the same question with the same wrong answers. But so far you have got good info here.

Please read through our towing thread. It wont take long to realize...a limited will not have 1740 lbs if payload. It will not take long to see a Laramie Longhorn is the heaviest of the trims.

If you want payload, a tradesman 2wd will have the most. If you want towing, you have to get a truck with payload.

The configurator is that. A Configuration. The type of cab and bed and drive system.

If you have a VIN and enter it...you will get the exact payload for the truck...if you enter the configuration you will get a generic number.

I hear you, but this tells me I should be ok: https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html Still waiting to hear anything official, though.

But even the salesmen are confused when we look at the sticker on the driver's door jamb vs. what the chart says. I know it depends on specific options, but I've seen plenty of specs on dealer websites at 1,700 lbs or even 1,800 lbs payload.
This is because when you enter the configuration it is giving you the generic numbers that are tradesman trim based.

You add the sunroof the RamBox, etc. It comea down fast.

Enter a VIN in the configurator and it will show you the payload.

Since you are in a slightly different scenario than yesterday's guy (he owned his...you are still researching) we can go at this a different way.

These are the numbers that you need to look at in reverse when optioning a truck.
GVWR
GCWR
GAWR
These are all set numbers. They will not change and they do not follow an odd rule.

base weight
Payload
Will change with options

DO NOT PAY ANY ATTENTION to max towing numbers. It isn't feasible. I have explained it a million times...see other threads. Ok...it is because it only allows for 300lbs cargo and a 10% tongue weight...most trailers should be 12 to 14% and moat campers travel with a family.

So let's start with the best towing platform in a 1500. The Crew Cab 6'4 bed. The best payload will come from 2wd...but most want a 4wd. The diesel vs gas debate is an opinion and mine is gas. Me personally, I would probably stay with the non etorque, but I sure wouldnt pass one up. And I would get the 3.92, but the 3.21 can tow too.

Ok, so we look like we are on a similar page...except the Longhorn part. A tradesman for me all day. You have to understand a Longhorn is the heaviest trim.

Alright so now those. Numbers. Crew Cab 6'4 Hemi 4x4 3.92
7100 GVWR
17000 GCWR
3900 FRONT GAWR
4100 REAR GAWR
base weight will be higher on anything other than a bare bones tradesman on the chart.
Payload will be lower with each option

I got to get back to work. This will get you started.

If you want a high trim truck and up to 11k lbs towing capacity and 1,700 lbs of payload you may as well plan on stepping up to a 2500. I have a crew cab 6’-4” 4x4 big horn with level 2 equipment group. My payload is 1,715 lbs, my max towing is 8,515 lbs granted mine is 3.21 gears. Your payload will be much less than mine and as stated already you will run out of payload before you ever reach your towing capcity

If you want a high trim truck and up to 11k lbs towing capacity and 1,700 lbs of payload you may as well plan on stepping up to a 2500. I have a crew cab 6’-4” 4x4 big horn with level 2 equipment group. My payload is 1,715 lbs, my max towing is 8,515 lbs granted mine is 3.21 gears. Your payload will be much less than mine and as stated already you will run out of payload before you ever reach your towing capcity
I agree with this. If you want a higher trim truck and you want to tow near 11k you really do need a 2500, and you might find it lacking as well.

Some people say your trailer shouldn't weigh more than your truck....so 7100 for a 1500, 10000 for a 2500 and 11500 for a 3500.

Of course today's trucks have a lot more ability. But i still feel you want to not exceed an 80% capacity

So I feel a 1500 should tow at about 9000 lbs max. A travel trailer slightly less and a car hauler, dump trailer, maybe a bit more.

Just my opinion.

I make the question easy on myself...8 foot bed and a crew cab are a must...so a 1500 wont do lol

Last edited:
I agree with this. If you want a higher trim truck and you want to tow near 11k you really do need a 2500, and you might find it lacking as well.

Some people say your trailer shouldn't weighvmore than your truck....so 7100 for a 1500, 10000 for a 2500 and 11500 for a 3500.

Of course today's trucks have alot more ability. But i still feel you want to not exceed an 80% capacity

So I feel a 1500 should tow at about 9000 lbs max. A travel trailer slightly less and a car hauler, dump trailer, maybe a bit more.

Just my opinion.

I make the question easy on myself...8 foot bed and a crew cab are a must...so a 1500 wont do lol
Agree fully.
BTW, anyone thinking about going to a 2500, just skip it and go straight to the 3500, which is around the same cost, but magnitudes more capable payload-wise.

I see some of the things people tow with these 1500’s and think they are crazy. I pull a RV fish house with mine, it’s called a 17’ but it has a 4’ v nose so overall length is 26’ with the hitch. Dry weight is 4,500lbs, pin weight 670lbs. My truck squatted bad when I hooked it up so I put in airlift 1000hd’s to help with that. Longest trip I took with it was a few weeks ago 4 1/2 hr drive one way so roughly 9hrs of pulling it. I averaged about 9 mpg. I don’t travel with the tanks full either. So loaded up it weighs maybe 5,000lbs. If I went any bigger for my next rig I would step up to a bigger truck. I see guys saying that they pull 30’+ campers that weigh 8k+ lbs and I just can’t imagine pulling something like that with my truck.
Agree fully.
BTW, anyone thinking about going to a 2500, just skip it and go straight to the 3500, which is around the same cost, but magnitudes more capable payload-wise.
Plus I know at least here in MN, 3500’s have a flat registration fee of $100 a year. I just paid almost $600 for the tabs on my 1500 for this year.

Here are some quick specs. I believe the 3500 is less than 2 grand more than a comparable 2500.
Granted, ride will be considerably stiffer, but if you tow/haul big, than it's a no brainer.

1593023957938.png

Here are some quick specs. I believe the 3500 is less than 2 grand more than a comparable 2500.
Granted, ride will be considerably stiffer, but if you tow/haul big, than it's a no brainer.

View attachment 60010
Only problem with that is it is comparing to a dually

This is really helpful stuff, guys, thanks! I should've utilized the search function but I did look around the place before posting.

A 2500 would definitely do the job, but as someone mentioned the ride significantly suffers compared to 1500. At the end of the day, I want to be safe - so all this info helps. I towed the same trailer with my BMW X6 that has a towing capacity of 7,400 but a payload max of 850. (As mentioned, no real way to get to max trailer weight there unless no one is in the SUV). The X6 towed just fine but the tail did wag when passing or getting passed by semis. This was on a relatively flat 4-hour drive. In the fall, I'll be towing the same trailer over the mountains in WV for a 7-hour drive.

F150's claim to get over 3,200 lbs max payload. I find that hard to get to and most trucks on lots are right around 1,500 on the sticker too. I just had a dealer near me run my specs and said it would come back at 1,560 payload and 10,250 towing. If that's true, I should be ok. But the last thing I want to do is make this change and have the truck get tossed around like the SUV was. I'm assuming between capacity and wheelbase, I'll be in better shape. Especially if I get a weight-distributing hitch instead of just the ball.

I just had a dealer near me run my specs and said it would come back at 1,560 payload and 10,250 towing. If that's true, I should be ok. But the last thing I want to do is make this change and have the truck get tossed around like the SUV was. I'm assuming between capacity and wheelbase, I'll be in better shape. Especially if I get a weight-distributing hitch instead of just the ball.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should ;) so ensure you'll have enough breathing room.
1,560 lbs. may seem like a lot, but when you start adding things to your truck the weight piles up quickly. Four adults alone could add up to 700-800 lbs or more. Add to that luggage, tools, cooler, dog (or dogs), bikes, snacks, and other stuff, and pretty soon you'll be near, or even over your max payload.

Cheers,

He's talking about a car hauler so I'm assuming a track vehicle of some kind. I doubt these are family trips, but who knows could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back