5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building custom Ram 1500 Limited Ecodiesel

CM212FLG

Reaction score
I have not towed far enough to need the larger tank but I love having it in general. 900+ mile range... I think almost everyone on the site has been glad they got the 33 gallon tank.

The tank itself doesn't weigh that much more than a smaller one so you could always out less fuel in it since the payload hit includes a full tank. You'd get 7# back for every gallon you leave out. You'd have to decide if 70# is worth filling to 23 gallons.
Oh, so you do have the 33 gallon tank? That’s good to know then. That helps!
The range really is incredible.

tom318

Reaction score
Based on your experience towing the Lance, do you think the 33-gallon tank would be worth it or save the weight for more payload?
Definitely go with the 33gallon tank. Probably my favorite feature. Never need to worry about range. Sometimes conditions on the roads change so it’s nice to have that extra fuel when the wind and rain show up and your mpg gets cut in half. My payload is 1350. Not a limited but see my signature below.

ramhouston

Reaction score
my 4X2 Laramie equipped with moonroof and powered running boards is barely under 1500 pounds payload capacity.. Lol

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Night edition limited ecodiesel.
3.92 gear
33 gallon tank
Sunroof
5'7" bed.
Limited slip

My payload is 1317lbs I believe as well.

I'd definitely get the 33g tank. I love having the range. Skipping the sunroof should save you a few lbs. Personally I'd skip the ORP unless you plan on doing actual off roading.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For my 2021 Laramie, optioned up to a Limited Level, I got 1239 Lb capacity and 7910 Towing with the Ecodiesel and 3.21 gears.

Malodave

MXZGUY

Reaction score
I ordered mine (2023 Limited Longhorn 4x4 with EcoDiesel) on Tuesday and it was accepted.

I am from Wisconsin, and I have contacted 3 dealers about ordering the Eco-Diesel and they said they would contact me. Only had one said in a email yesterday they have not opened the Eco-diesel up yet and he has different people wanting to order.

drydocked

Reaction score
Hey everyone! New to the group, glad to be here and looking for some advise please. I am thinking about custom ordering (perhaps from MD or Koons) a 2023 Ram 1500 Limited Ecodiesel 4x4 with the 3.92 rear end. I tow a boat in the vicinity of 5200 lbs and would like to comfortably tow up to around 6500 lbs. I know payload is the limiting factor with these trucks, especially high up in the trim levels. Is there anyway to find out the payload/tow capacity of a custom order (without a VIN) or to know the weight of options added to the truck? I have some window stickers that I have found online and checked on Ram's website that are close, but nothing exact. Also not sure if anything has changed for 2023.

FWIW, ideally, the build would also include the Limited Level 1, Night Edition package, E-locker, 33 gallon tank and Trailer Tow group.

Hoping for a payload of about 1,400 lbs. and max tow of around 9,600 lbs.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
The payload on my Longhorn in the signature is 1,300 lbs and max tow of 9,700. Note that I have the 6'4 box, otherwise it would be very similar to your build. I'm not sure how much that deducts from the payload.

Ruger

Reaction score
I am from Wisconsin, and I have contacted 3 dealers about ordering the Eco-Diesel and they said they would contact me. Only had one said in a email yesterday they have not opened the Eco-diesel up yet and he has different people wanting to order.
MXZ, I wouldn’t wait to much longer to get an order in if you want to build an ECODIESEL. I ordered mine 15 SEP as soon as I found out you could from this forum. I would just go to a reputable dealer and place your order. At my dealership it $500 down, fully refundable all current incentives at time of order or at time of delivery whichever is best. Ordered a 4x4 Laramie ECO, ORG, night edition, 3.92, locking rear, level 2 , cargo group, ram boxes, class IV and 33 gal tank

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I plugged it into the NADA website for 2023 and it does come up as an option. Looks like the diesel and Hemi w/ Etorque are the only options.
Is Etorque forced on every Hemi in 2023...meaning I can't get a new truck without it??

bucolic

Reaction score
Oh, so you do have the 33 gallon tank? That’s good to know then. That helps!
The range really is incredible.
The 33-gallon tank is a must-have if towing a camper and being in the 11-13 mpg range. With the smaller tank, you need to start hunting for a gas station every 150 miles. It's miserable! I towed across the US in 2020 with the 26-gallon tank and I was at gas stations more than driving!

I have about every option on my truck including, Pano sunroof, multifunction gate, and ram boxes, and my payload is listed at 1103lbs.

I'll leave the wife, dog, and whatever else I need to at home before I'll give up my Sunroof, Tailgate, and ram boxes for a measly 300lbs of payload :)

payload.png

Users who are viewing this thread