5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brown Sludge on Coolant Dipstick?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've smelt it with my truck many times. Maybe I notice it more parking in the garage. Noticed it more when it was newer. 34k miles, and reservoir is still in "safe" zone on dipstick, but could use a little.
My truck is different, obviously, but I have had the exact same experience. First year, I smelled coolant regularly when parking in my garage. To the point that I could constantly check for a spot under my engine (never found one). The smell has gone away now (coming on 2 years).

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Interesting. About half of the trucks we owned were parked in the garage. I'd have taken it in to be looked at if I had smelled coolant in any of them. I did smell a burnt rubber smell on my last two, but our current truck doesn't have that either.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been checking the coolant dip stick maybe every two months. Levels have been good and no sludge that I can recall.

Anyone have a pic of the sludge?
It's just coolant that's become gelatinous. I'd say it's more of an orange color vs brown but we're splitting hairs. If I had to guess the coolant splashes up in the reservoir and gets hot. So it starts to change physical properties over time.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The reservoir is open to the atmosphere, and dirt from the air doesn't help crud in the system.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The reservoir is open to the atmosphere, and dirt from the air doesn't help crud in the system.
Shouldn't be dirt getting into reservoir. That's why there is a cap on it

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One thing to be aware of is the dealer service topping off fluids if you in for service or an oil change.

In Florida, water sitting outside in the heat smells horrible after a day or so. Years ago, I was preparing for a trip to Minnesota in January, so I was replacing all fluids in prep of colder temps. When I tried adding windshield washer fluid, it smelled horrible. I rarely use my washers in Florida, if ever, but in MN in the winter, I knew it would get used. I found the dealer was topping off windshield washer with tap water rather than the proper stuff because "It's Florida and we don't need the stuff that doesn't freeze". Needless to say, I had to completely drain the system and add 30 below cleaner to the tank.

I also had a dealer top off coolant on an older DexCool system. They added the wrong coolant. DexCool does not mix with other stuff very well and created a brown sludge in the engine that I was unaware of until a plastic elbow on the water pump blew apart, overheating the engine and cooking the brown sludge into a brownie consistency. Let's say $3000 later, the engine was properly working again!!!

Oh, and you might ask how I didn't know that plastic elbow broke. When the thermostat/temp sensor is at the top of the engine and all the coolant leaks out from the bottom, the sensor was only getting air across it, so no notification that the temp was increasing. Great design on that one!!!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The overflow is open.
Overflow is a tube that points down. Would have to be cooling down in really dusty conditions to get any dirt in through that

Archabald

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen on my "new to me truck". I bought it with about 50,000kms and smelt coolant outside the truck. When checking the coolant dip stick there was a sludge on the dipstick and it looked low. I took it back in to the dealer and they inspected it for leaks couldn't find any and just toped up coolant....

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same sludge on my dipstick. 77K miles and the coolant level was also low. I put in the kind that says it mixes with all varieties and will check it more often.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same sludge on my dipstick. 77K miles and the coolant level was also low. I put in the kind that says it mixes with all varieties and will check it more often.
Just as an FYI for anyone reading - Be careful when using the all in one's. I think the newer Peak 10x is potentially a safe coolant. It's a p-oat with no 2-EHA, silicate, nitrite, borate or amines. Allegedly you can mix the two (our trucks are OAT) but it's not recommended. There's a potential risk for the coolant gelling when mixed.

Here's a link to what our trucks use.

Mopar 68163849AB 10 Year/150,000 Mile Coolant 50/50 Premixed - Embittered https://a.co/d/c5u3bS4

Last edited:

klotz50

Reaction score
I get it, you're being funny. We've owned 8 Ram trucks over the last 14 years and I don't ever remember smelling coolant after driving any of them. Our '06 Nissan Pathfinder on the other hand, don't get me started LOL.
Don't think he was being funny. Has been an issue in my 19 Ram since day one. Sine the expansion tank isn't a sealed system......

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Don't think he was being funny. Has been an issue in my 19 Ram since day one. Sine the expansion tank isn't a sealed system......
That's the case with most cars. Cooling systems are designed to accommodate for coolant expansion and vent to atmosphere, which is usually accomplished with an expansion/recovery tank or just a tube (like on much older cars). Based on your theory you should smell coolant after driving pretty much any vehicle that was warmed up to operating temp.

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
decided to check my dipstick also, same crap, 5.7 non-e 69k 2019 CC, took it immediately to
Jiffy Lube had them drain and change the fluid..nice and
clean
now

Attachments

• IMG_4906.jpeg
    IMG_4906.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4907.jpeg
    IMG_4907.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4912.png
    IMG_4912.png
    541.6 KB · Views: 27

Amazing93

Reaction score
Are you sure they used the proper coolant? Usually those places use the one size fits all type coolant and our trucks arent supposed to use that. OAT type coolant spec MS.90032

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im at the point with this truck i dont give a bleep what they put in it man, nice and clear and running cooler now, honestly but i get ya..it blows up it blows up..

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/