5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broken windshield

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have to get mine replaced as well as they tried repairing a small chip/crack a month or so ago and now it’s spreading.

Glenn54

Reaction score
I have to get mine replaced as well as they tried repairing a small chip/crack a month or so ago and now it’s spreading.
That sucks. I thought about getting a patch but decided against it due to the size of the initial damage.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That sucks. I thought about getting a patch but decided against it due to the size of the initial damage.
Yeah it was free through insurance to try the repair and I think it will be $50 to replace. I didn’t want to replace as my windshield is tinted so I’ll have to find someone I trust and pay for that again.

cdn_cowboy

Reaction score
Well evidently I have to get a mopar windshield so we will see how long this one lasts... I really think there is something wrong with the glass in these new windshields. The shop said anecdotally that they have been seeing a lot of the new Rams in for cracked windshields. 🤷‍♂️

flyingpoint

Reaction score
The windshield on my truck broke last week. The crack started at driver side upper conner. I am not sure if that was caused by a rock on freeway or something else. Fortunately I have got it covered by AAA without deductible. However, it is about 2 wks waiting for the Mopar windshield to come.

cdn_cowboy

Reaction score
Ya I've also got no deductible but I'm sure that won't be available next year after constantly replacing the windshield. Both have split from the side so far too. Very odd and I don't think it's just bad luck.

Glenn54

Reaction score
The windshield on my truck broke last week. The crack started at driver side upper conner. I am not sure if that was caused by a rock on freeway or something else. Fortunately I have got it covered by AAA without deductible. However, it is about 2 wks waiting for the Mopar windshield to come.
Do you have auto insurance through AAA? Or does AAA provide windshield coverage some how?

Boston

Reaction score
Do you have auto insurance through AAA? Or does AAA provide windshield coverage some how?

Glass is covered under comprehensive portion of your auto policy.

However, in most states you have to ask for full glass coverage, to get say $100 or no deductible coverage.

Top tip: Insurance companies I deal with accept damage to headlights as covered under glass. Some cost over $1000!

This tip brought to you by your resident insurance agent based in Massachusetts.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Well evidently I have to get a mopar windshield so we will see how long this one lasts... I really think there is something wrong with the glass in these new windshields. The shop said anecdotally that they have been seeing a lot of the new Rams in for cracked windshields. 🤷‍♂️
If it were an issue, a lot more of us would be having spontaneous windshield cracks, and that's not really happening. There's nothing wrong with the glass, unless you happen to get one with a stress already in it, which all brands/makes do in minuscule numbers, as it is a mass-produced part.

Gs72174

Reaction score
Just had my windshield replaced. Didn’t even notice a rock or whatever hit my windshield but noticed a crack about 8” long that started from a chip.

It took 3 weeks to get the OEM windshield in. Can anyone verify that you guys have a tinted strip at the top. I could have sworn my original windshield had one but this one doesn’t and it’s a OEM Ram with the Ram symbol and everything on it.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Just had my windshield replaced. Didn’t even notice a rock or whatever hit my windshield but noticed a crack about 8” long that started from a chip.

It took 3 weeks to get the OEM windshield in. Can anyone verify that you guys have a tinted strip at the top. I could have sworn my original windshield had one but this one doesn’t and it’s a OEM Ram with the Ram symbol and everything on it.
Nope. No strip.
Just the small dappled portion all around. Guessing it is about an inch or inch and a half wide.

pMak26

Reaction score
The OEM windshield is very weak. I had a pretty small rock hit my windshield a few days ago and left a chip. Hit at 55mph and came off some 4dr sedan :(, just unlucky. But a small hit like that should not have chipped the windshield, pretty disappointed.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
The OEM windshield is very weak. I had a pretty small rock hit my windshield a few days ago and left a chip. Hit at 55mph and came off some 4dr sedan :(, just unlucky. But a small hit like that should not have chipped the windshield, pretty disappointed.
A rock hit, even a very small one, would definitely chip any whishield at 55 MPH. It's just physics.

flyingpoint

Reaction score

Thanks to bringing it up. I just got my windshield replaced yesterday. And yes, there is no tinted strip at the top. I am getting the windshield tinted by 3M crystalline soon anyway, so it doesn't bother me that much.

Last edited:

cdn_cowboy

Reaction score

I'm on my third windshield and same experience on the most recent... just a sudden crack without any apparent rock strike/chip.

Users who are viewing this thread