5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bright Lights!

1500V8

Reaction score
Hey Ya'll! I have got the 2020 Ram 1500 5.7 Liter Hemi BigHorn Edition with the LED lighting package and it seems that I always get flashed by other vehicles at night when my lights are on dim!! I am here to tell you, Ram was serious when they put headlights and tail lights on this fantastic truck! The lights are so good, I hardly ever use my bright lights.

Anyone else experience the same brightness? I really like it.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't drive a ton at night, but yes, I get flashed too. People aren't use to the brighter lights. I never get flashed by other vehicles with LED though.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You most likely need to adjust your headlights if getting flashed is a common occurrence. They can come high from the factory, so even if you're not lifted it's possible. I don't remember the exact height, but I measured my friend's Ford Focus side mirrors and put my lights about 2" above that at 25 feet. That way I'm not blinding their rear view mirror, but they're still high enough that I can see. The Focus is a pretty normal sedan so I figured it'd work for most. I'd say most, if not all, of people's complaints about LED/HID lights are from people that don't adjust them. Here in the south we have so many idiots/kids that lift their trucks and never touch their headlights. If they're bright to ME in my truck, then they're bright to EVERYONE.

I only get flashed by super low cars, and that's their problem. My dad used to have a Toyota MR2 where your head sat at about 34" off the ground. Driving at night was a nightmare because even sedan lights blinded you, but that's the price you pay to drag your *** on the ground.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Grab a tape measure and go find a parking garage. It'll usually be dark enough and level enough to do this. Measure to the center of your headlamp then park facing a wall 25 feet away. Turn on high beams. Go measure height. It should be pretty close to what you measured. If the beams are too bright, then tape a piece of paper over the headlamp which should dim it enough. You'll see the pattern on the wall. If it's high, take it back to the dealer. High beams should be level, low beams will have a slight downward angle.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
As others have said, they prob need to be adjusted.
My early '19 has the brighter LEDs, (as I believe they started de-tuning them either in late 2019 or early 2020 models to make them a tad less bright) and I've never had anyone flash me.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Just aim them down, it’s literally just a white plastic screw behind the headlamp. When you pop the hood & look down you should see it. I think you just turn it clockwise to aim them down but it might be opposite. All you need is a very skinny & long screwdriver.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Just aim them down, it’s literally just a white plastic screw behind the headlamp. When you pop the hood & look down you should see it. I think you just turn it clockwise to aim them down but it might be opposite. All you need is a very skinny & long screwdriver.
It's a little more scientific than that, but yeah ;)

Here's the procedure:

Attachments

• 08 - Electrical:8L - Lamps and Lighting:Lamps:Lighting - Exterior:Standard Procedure STANDARD...pdf
    262.3 KB · Views: 183

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
It's a little more scientific than that, but yeah ;)

Here's the procedure:
Oh jeez haha I didn’t think they’d actually make a document about something so simple 😂 all I know is mine were aimed way too high when I lifted my truck so I lowered them and now I very rarely get flashed so they’re good 😂

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Have you added a lift or leveling kit to your truck? If so, you need to adjust your headlights down to compensate for that.

1500V8

Reaction score
Hey Ya'll! I have got the 2020 Ram 1500 5.7 Liter Hemi BigHorn Edition with the LED lighting package and it seems that I always get flashed by other vehicles at night when my lights are on dim!! I am here to tell you, Ram was serious when they put headlights and tail lights on this fantastic truck! The lights are so good, I hardly ever use my bright lights.

Anyone else experience the same brightness? I really like it.
I do like the brightness at night, because I do a lot of night driving, but I truly do not want to blind anyone so I will adjust them down. Thanks for all the posts- I truly appreciate it!

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm glad you're concerned. Nothing burns my a$$ more than people who don't care about blinding oncoming traffic. Selfish f*ckers.

I will tell you a very simple, very quick way to ensure they are aimed correctly.
You'll need an allen head type wrench to adjust them. White plastic receivers behind the headlights accessible with the hood open.
Do this at night and with your headlights on LOW beam and the engine running.
-Find a wall that isn't on a hill and that you can back up 25 away from in a straight line.
-Pull up to the wall as close as possible without your bumper hitting it.
-With a piece of blue painters tape mark the TOP of the brightest part of the beam of each headlight.
-Back up 25 feet.
-Cover one headlight with a towel while you adjust the other one.
-The brightest part of the beam should now be about 2" below the tape marks you made. The passenger side can be a little bit higher but make sure the driver side is 2" below the tape mark you made.
That's it.
There's no separate adjustment for the high beams. They move accordingly with correct low beam adjustment.

wvinson

Reaction score
They are great headlights. I get flashed often, and yet, I get flashed often in my Escalade as well. Factory LEDs are just brighter period and yes, people aren't used to them. I've flashed several cars thinking they are on bright to find out they are newer cars with LEDs.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are great headlights. I get flashed often, and yet, I get flashed often in my Escalade as well. Factory LEDs are just brighter period and yes, people aren't used to them. I've flashed several cars thinking they are on bright to find out they are newer cars with LEDs.
If people are frequently flashing you then your lights may need adjutsment.
I always aim my own headlights including my last two vehicles with LED's and I NEVER get flashed.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If people are frequently flashing you then your lights may need adjutsment.
I always aim my own headlights including my last two vehicles with LED's and I NEVER get flashed.
Agreed. Getting flashed should not be common. Especially if SUV's and trucks are flashing you as well.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's mostly cars and yes, my headlights on both my vehicles are perfectly aimed.
If so, and people are still flashing you, then you have really bright lights and should probably aim them down a little bit more than they are. It's just common consideration. Flashing once in a blue moon from a low riding car is understandable, but really you shouldn't be getting flashed hardly ever.

Users who are viewing this thread