5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Breaking: Ram files new tailgate design with U.S patent office

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
IMG_0008.jpg

Camouflaged 2019 Ram 1500 (Real Fast Fotography)

Ram files a second tailgate design with the USPTO
Back in early February we wrote this article discussing a patent that FCA filed in 2014 showing a split tailgate as well as a loading ramp system integrated with the truck box. Now thanks to a tip we see that FCA has filed a patent for yet another tailgate design, just a month ago.

FCA Tailgate patent drawing (USPTO)

The patent filing titled: Drop Tailgate with Integrated Step, was filed on May 1st 2018. According to the patent drawings and description Ram is looking at a dual action tailgate with 2 swing links that are able to stop the tailgate at a 90 degree angle from opening like a standard tailgate. The second deployment of the tailgate would deploy the second set of swing links allowing the tailgate to open another roughly 45 degreees. The inside of the tailgate would have steps built in to allow easier access to the bed.

FCA Tailgate patent drawing(USPTO)

FCA Tailgate patent drawing (USPTO)

We don’t know whether this is currently slated for production, the features guide that we posted back in January had a multifunction tailgate listed as a late availability option. Whether that is the tailgate described above or the split tailgate is not known at this time.
Check back regularly for the all the latest news on the 5th Generation Ram trucks and make sure you check out our Forums section and join in on the discussion.

Source: USPTO

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Gonna need some work. Fig 5 has the tailgate overlapping the bumper.:LOL:

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Makes sense now that they went to that tailgate with "bumper step" integrated into the bumper now. ;)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They would need another step higher up to actually make it useable. I'm guessing there's more to this than the patent indicates...

D

Deleted member103

Nice ! The "boys" at RAM sure seem to have the "Nak" for clever innovation . Sure beats the silly Folding Contraption at GM .

Now we may have not 1 or 2, but 3 Rear-End Options ! ? Sure hope they can manage -along with all the potential Vendor/Supplier issues involved in having all 3 available as Options ( in the future ) ! ?

I was wondering IF Ram had other motives for shortening the height of the rear bumper -- this allows better "swing-down-angle"
of the tailgate . But, IF (just my IF) they are thinking this could eliminate the "other patent," THEN they'll need to definitely strengthen the pivot points and revert back to (say) high strength steel on the tail gate IF one of its intended uses is to be "Ramp-Like" ! ?

Other potential issues ? Front lip of Gate touch ground, damage ! IF those openings are steps, why not make them ONE covering most, but not all, of the center portion - say about 2 or 3 feet wide . . . making it much easier to get work boots or . . . in ! ? there should also be 2 -- a second halfway up, you know for us "Old-Timers with bad knees" :D !

On any Commercial Version with this, they should have a "Fold-Over Flap" ( again high-strength steel ) to "fill in the gap between the bed & the bottom lip of the gate -- where all the "crap" gets wedged ! Think of an Airline's WING Flaps for lift as it takes off or lands !

I know a Professional Landscaper ( fancy grass cutter ) who would LOVE this to make it so much easier to remove all that grass and debree at the end of the day ! RAM you reading ? No Charge, free advice, ha ha !

Well that is another bout of 2-cents worth for today !

ps; I think FOR ME I would choose the swinging door Option -- suits my Camper lifestyle better ! I could attach one of those Wrangler rear door working-tables for the camp stove . . . or . . . ! ? Sure would be NICE ( hint ) if RAM did offer the "door option" by years end; I would be a buyer of that ! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Ramps could then slide out of the tailgate to make contact with ground for loading ATV and the like. Could be too sharp of an angle to breakover though near the bed floor. Curious if Ford patented the slide out tailgate step if the ramps would infringe on that...

Unless they put a pretty significant crease on the outside near the bottom of the tailgate I, dont see how they wont have clearance issues without some complicated hinge point that can side the pivot rear-ward to get away from bumper. That could allow a slide out cover flap Lou eluded to cover the gap between bedfloor and tailgate which is a huge pain to clean out.

The drawings show the bumper flush with the taigate which in reality is not true, unless this includes a new rear fender and bed floor and different rear hitch and frame sections.

cjgerson

Reaction score
So got some inside info the multi function tailgate is the one that can be opened 6 different ways. Not sure in availability yet.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
So got some inside info the multi function tailgate is the one that can be opened 6 different ways. Not sure in availability yet.

Thanks for looking into it, that's pretty much what I expected. Hopefully we hear more about that soon.

D

Deleted member103

Thanks for looking into it, that's pretty much what I expected. Hopefully we hear more about that soon.

WHAT ? 6 different ways ? Sounds like an engineers nightmare came true ! Sure hope his /her Therapy sessions help in his/her recovery process ! :D .
Which has me wondering . . . will I need an engineering degree to operate that sucker ? :);)

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just seen the post about the 2019 GMC...and it reminded me of another late availability item I haven't seen people going crazy cause they haven't offered it yet.

Any new news on this awesome addition

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Would be interesting if when the RamBox unicorn trucks start to arrive...the big surprise is they come standard with the multifunction tailgate and that was the hold up.

Just can't believe there hasn't really been anything other than the patent drawings, one spyshot and a late availability list in the brochure.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
If memory serves, the advantage to keeping your patent as generic as possible is that it allows you to cover more iterations of a similar concept. So no advantage to showing some fully engineered design on a patent application. I could be wrong.

Ask Apple about patenting simple things. Like shapes.

Users who are viewing this thread