5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Breaking In" new car for long distance driving.

hengda

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Have a quick question regarding if driving a brand new rebel across the country is a smart idea or not.

The situation is, I order a brand new 2020 Rebel in and is ready to be picked up and just yesterday I was offered a great opportunity across the country ( Canada Toronto to Canada Vancouver ).

So in my mind, im trying to figure out what is the best option to do, and also will this trip end up damaging the truck due to not breaking it in and constant use of cruise control.

Distance is 4400KM / 2750 Miles. Roads will be pretty straight forward, until the rockies which has some sharp up hill and down hill.

Thanks in Advance.

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
Hi Hengda, I wouldn't get too much involved beating yourself up over a break-in process. For sure the rings are sealed, mostly, against the cylinder walls within the first 50 miles or thereabouts. Because you're on a long-distance drive, I'd plan on hitting some hilly roads for a bit, if at all possible. That'll give the engine some cycling between load, and no load, and thus hotter and cooler cycles. I'd say plan on stopping somewhere for lunch, breakfast, or whatever after about 100 miles, let the engine cool a bit, maybe an hour if possible. Then hit the highway, but keep adjusting your speeds, maybe run at 60 or 70 for a bit, then drop or increase, though I know the speeds in CA are pretty slow as compared to the US if memory serves. Anyhow the point is to keep the engine operating at different speeds. After another 100 miles, I'd let it cool off again, then hit the highway again and just run it like every other vehicle you've owned. I guess my point in all of this is don't baby the engine, but give it a few cycles to cool down so that the rings can go through some exercising, heat and cooling cycles. Anyhow, my two cents.

I never break my engines in easy. I believe a stronger engine is one that seals up quickly.

d19r93

Reaction score
I had the same concerns. Took my truck for a few hundred mile drive after I hit 100 miles. No issues whatsoever. I think you'll be alright!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I drove about 1400 miles to FL (round trip) the day after I bought it (I believe I had about 50 or 60 miles on the ODO at the time).
No issues whatsoever.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Toronto to Vancouver would mean the Prairies which you'd want to vary your speed some, Course with weather factors that might not be an issue.
Did you get that good of a deal to make that kind of a trip?

derp

Reaction score
Considering your concern, I would suggest as a precaution to heck the levels on the fluids at each fuel stop. If anything changes, you can deal with it straight away. maybe even consider using a common cloth for all the oil level checks so you can see if it suddenly darkens or something like that.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Toronto to Vancouver would mean the Prairies which you'd want to vary your speed some, Course with weather factors that might not be an issue.
Did you get that good of a deal to make that kind of a trip?
Reason I ask is that I got a really good deal in Abbottsford BC when I bought my 2015 F150 from MSA Ford. I'd think you could shop the lower mainland dealers hard and figure out how much fuel, time, hotels, food, etc that long trip is costing you...

barr0208

Reaction score
I bought mine in Barrhead Alberta in april i drove there traded in my 2016 ram drove home to Winnipeg and I saved an easy $7000.00 over purchasing at home even after hotels and food fuel etc. Stayed for 3 days visited relatives put on a few hundred miles up and down hills then drove to Winnipeg at highway speeds has been trouble free. maybe you should check out where I bought from stephani motors its is a family owned dealer ship I paid less than $200 in fess that included tire tax etc.

Last edited:

hengda

Reaction score
Hi Hengda, I wouldn't get too much involved beating yourself up over a break-in process. For sure the rings are sealed, mostly, against the cylinder walls within the first 50 miles or thereabouts. Because you're on a long-distance drive, I'd plan on hitting some hilly roads for a bit, if at all possible. That'll give the engine some cycling between load, and no load, and thus hotter and cooler cycles. I'd say plan on stopping somewhere for lunch, breakfast, or whatever after about 100 miles, let the engine cool a bit, maybe an hour if possible. Then hit the highway, but keep adjusting your speeds, maybe run at 60 or 70 for a bit, then drop or increase, though I know the speeds in CA are pretty slow as compared to the US if memory serves. Anyhow the point is to keep the engine operating at different speeds. After another 100 miles, I'd let it cool off again, then hit the highway again and just run it like every other vehicle you've owned. I guess my point in all of this is don't baby the engine, but give it a few cycles to cool down so that the rings can go through some exercising, heat and cooling cycles. Anyhow, my two cents.

I never break my engines in easy. I believe a stronger engine is one that seals up quickly.

Really appreciate that feedback. Im going to plan for a small trip outside the city and stay for the weekend. The drive will include highways and regular city driving.

hengda

Reaction score
Reason I ask is that I got a really good deal in Abbottsford BC when I bought my 2015 F150 from MSA Ford. I'd think you could shop the lower mainland dealers hard and figure out how much fuel, time, hotels, food, etc that long trip is costing you...

Im not sure if i got a good deal or not.. honestly the move was un expected. I put in the order in the beginning of December. the opportunity to move literally came in last week, which I thought will be months down the road.

The order I put in was 2020 Rebel Black Appearance. Pretty much fully loaded with panoramic roof / hard tonneau cover / Air suspension. Only package i didnt get was the safety package and ram box. Leasing at 820 a month. MSRP at 77,635. Final price at 62606.96....

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Im not sure if i got a good deal or not.. honestly the move was un expected. I put in the order in the beginning of December. the opportunity to move literally came in last week, which I thought will be months down the road.

The order I put in was 2020 Rebel Black Appearance. Pretty much fully loaded with panoramic roof and the hard tonneau cover. Only package i didnt get was the safety package and ram box. Leasing at 820 a month. MSRP at 77,635. Final price at 62606.96....
Sounds ok for Cdn $

supercanadian

Reaction score
When i picked up my truck it had 9km on it. I then proceeded to drive it 260km home!

Users who are viewing this thread