5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Break in oil

TripleB

Reaction score
I’m kind of curious of some owners look at their first oil change as the break in oil change to get the oil out after say 1000 miles.

I definitely do it with motorcycles.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think you can do a search to find more info. I changed mine after 2000 when I first got it. But I don't know if that is needed. But it's cheap to do.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
This question gets asked a lot and there have been several threads on it. Here's what I think is the most recent thread (besides this one)...

John Galt

Reaction score
At worst it won’t hurt anything except your wallet.

it’s certainly not required or recommended in the service manual….whoever stands to gain financially from more frequent oil changes may have other opinions. On motorcycles that I’ve owned a 1000 mile oil change was actually recommended in the manual as part of the break-in process and the manual stated the motor was filled with a “special break-in oil“ that should be changed at 1000 miles.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tolerances, machining and oil are way different now than from when break in procedures were recommended and needed.

TripleB

Reaction score
I do not necessarily think there is a right or wrong answer. But i am going to change mine around 1000 probably. I know a lot of engine heads will get the break in period over and put in fresh oil at early miles instead of waiting. Only thing i treat my trucks with longevity in mind but part with them in less than three years. This limited needs to be the last last truck for awhile.

Its getting a ceramic coat today. 😊

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I do not necessarily think there is a right or wrong answer. But i am going to change mine around 1000 probably. I know a lot of engine heads will get the break in period over and put in fresh oil at early miles instead of waiting. Only thing i treat my trucks with longevity in mind but part with them in less than three years. This limited needs to be the last last truck for awhile.

Its getting a ceramic coat today. 😊
Make sure you check your oil levels every 500 miles, mine drank a bit of oil before 2-3k miles. This is "normal" per the handbook and now at 14k miles it seems fine.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Motorcycles are different due to a wet clutch. That’s why they recommend it at 500-1000 miles.

Not really needed in a modern vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I’m kind of curious of some owners look at their first oil change as the break in oil change to get the oil out after say 1000 miles.

I can definitely say that changing oil at 1000 miles is positively wrong, unless it is absolutely right or it just does not matter. There is just no doubt about it.

Goodone

Reaction score

I changed mine at 1000 miles though I was told I did not need to and I know it. I also had the alignment checked and was again told it did not need it, but then as I have found in 3 out of 5 trucks - GM and Ram - it was out of specification and had to be realigned. I went though a set of tires on my first truck and said never again, since they told me it was my issue.

Just my experience.

Spritle

Reaction score
I changed mine about 1600'ish miles. No other reason than I wanted to. I concur with others that it's really not a "break-in" oil change.

RC Turner

Reaction score
Here is a copy of a paper written by SAE international in 2007. I have heard this information before but make of it what you want.

Browse Publications Technical Papers 2007-01-4133
2007-10-29

The Effect of Oil Drain Interval on Valvetrain Friction and Wear2007-01-4133​

Engine oils are subjected to a series of industry standard engine dynamometer tests to measure their wear protection capability, sludge and varnish formation tendencies, and fuel efficiency among several other performance attributes before they are approved for use in customer engines. However, these performance attributes are measured at the end of tests and therefore, do not provide any information on how the properties have changed during the tests. In one of our previous studies it was observed that engine oil samples collected from fleet vehicles after 12,000 mile drain interval showed 10-15 % lower friction and more importantly, an order of magnitude lower wear rate than those of fresh oils. It was also observed that the composition of the tribochemical films formed was quite different on the surface tested with the drain oils from those formed with fresh oils. The objective of this investigation is to demonstrate how the friction and wear performance changed with oil drain intervals. A fleet of three vehicles was run in Las Vegas and oil samples were collected at various drain intervals from 3000 miles to 15000 miles. As in the previous study, the results showed that the aged engine oils provide lower friction and much improved wear protection capability. These improvements were observed as early as the 3000 mile drain interval and continued to the 15000 mile drain interval. The composition of tribochemical films formed on the surface with the 3000 mile drain interval is similar to that formed with the 12000 mile drain interval as seen before. These findings could be an enabler for achieving longer drain interval although several other factors must to be considered.

TripleB

Reaction score
I changed mine about 1600'ish miles. No other reason than I wanted to. I concur with others that it's really not a "break-in" oil change.
People’s view on things can change likes the weather. I was just a bit curious. Service interval’s recommended by the manufacture are not necessarily what is best for the longevity of a vehicle. But i will be sure to not post an oil question again. Seems to trigger some people. 🤣

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Here is a copy of a paper written by SAE international in 2007. I have heard this information before but make of it what you want.

Browse Publications Technical Papers 2007-01-4133
2007-10-29

The Effect of Oil Drain Interval on Valvetrain Friction and Wear2007-01-4133​

Engine oils are subjected to a series of industry standard engine dynamometer tests to measure their wear protection capability, sludge and varnish formation tendencies, and fuel efficiency among several other performance attributes before they are approved for use in customer engines. However, these performance attributes are measured at the end of tests and therefore, do not provide any information on how the properties have changed during the tests. In one of our previous studies it was observed that engine oil samples collected from fleet vehicles after 12,000 mile drain interval showed 10-15 % lower friction and more importantly, an order of magnitude lower wear rate than those of fresh oils. It was also observed that the composition of the tribochemical films formed was quite different on the surface tested with the drain oils from those formed with fresh oils. The objective of this investigation is to demonstrate how the friction and wear performance changed with oil drain intervals. A fleet of three vehicles was run in Las Vegas and oil samples were collected at various drain intervals from 3000 miles to 15000 miles. As in the previous study, the results showed that the aged engine oils provide lower friction and much improved wear protection capability. These improvements were observed as early as the 3000 mile drain interval and continued to the 15000 mile drain interval. The composition of tribochemical films formed on the surface with the 3000 mile drain interval is similar to that formed with the 12000 mile drain interval as seen before. These findings could be an enabler for achieving longer drain interval although several other factors must to be considered.
Sir, there is no room for facts when it comes to this discussion. It is a federal law that says this must be based on emotion, historic tales of woe, fantasy and make believe. A little magic dust on the side never hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread