5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brake moan when cold / dealership frustration

RevRonnie

Reaction score
Let's start this off with the fact that I purchased my 2019 ram 1500 laramie 4x4 last September 2018. I purchased the Mopar Maxicare "unlimited mileage and unlimited year" extended warranty for about $4000. I have about 45k miles on it.

I brought it in 2 weeks ago for 3 things. Rear window leak, rear seat not reclining and my brake moan.

My back window developed a leak with no physical damage to it. The dealership wouldn't do anything and told me that because I was out of warranty I had to take it up with Ram Customer Service. After a bit of a my complaing and having to speak to managers they agreed to fix it but they still charged me 200.00 to get it fixed. (not excited about it but I paid for it)

The rear seat has never reclined since I purchased the truck. ( I made them aware of it before I pulled it off the lot but wasn't bringing it in for such a small issue)

The brake noise happens every morning before the truck warms up. It's loud enough to wake my neighbors.

I had my truck at the dealership for 2 weeks so they could get it all figured out. Supposedly they fixed the seat, The window was on back order and they claimed they couldn't reproduce the noise. When I picked it up yesterday of course it made the noise and the back seat wouldn't recline. I left frustrated and disappointed. 1 out of 3 ain't bad for them I guess.

I don't think the dealership even looked into the noise seriously or even at the brakes. When I took them apart today, the bolts on the calipers didn't look like they had even been touched. Here is a picture of what the back of the both sides pads look like. Have any of yall experienced this or do you think something is not right here? I'm thinking that plastic or nylon shim melting might have been part of the problem. Seems at the least if they did their due diligence they would have mentioned it.

Today, I pulled the brakes apart cleaned them and put brake grease behind the pads. Hopefully that helps. I investigated the seat and just had to install the cable correctly and it works perfectly now.

I guess I say all this somewhat to vent but to also say how disappointing it is that they had the truck for 2 weeks and couldn't do what I did in an hour and a half.. And I'm not a mechanic! Is this what is to be expected with Ram service?

Attachments

• 20200425_132453.jpg
    20200425_132453.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 15878484746438252098569742732968.jpg
    15878484746438252098569742732968.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 91

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
mIne also has the god awfull grizzley bear roar also when sits overnight...

rws1944

Reaction score
Let's start this off with the fact that I purchased my 2019 ram 1500 laramie 4x4 last September 2018. I purchased the Mopar Maxicare "unlimited mileage and unlimited year" extended warranty for about $4000. I have about 45k miles on it.

I brought it in 2 weeks ago for 3 things. Rear window leak, rear seat not reclining and my brake moan.

My back window developed a leak with no physical damage to it. The dealership wouldn't do anything and told me that because I was out of warranty I had to take it up with Ram Customer Service. After a bit of a my complaing and having to speak to managers they agreed to fix it but they still charged me 200.00 to get it fixed. (not excited about it but I paid for it)

The rear seat has never reclined since I purchased the truck. ( I made them aware of it before I pulled it off the lot but wasn't bringing it in for such a small issue)

The brake noise happens every morning before the truck warms up. It's loud enough to wake my neighbors.

I had my truck at the dealership for 2 weeks so they could get it all figured out. Supposedly they fixed the seat, The window was on back order and they claimed they couldn't reproduce the noise. When I picked it up yesterday of course it made the noise and the back seat wouldn't recline. I left frustrated and disappointed. 1 out of 3 ain't bad for them I guess.

I don't think the dealership even looked into the noise seriously or even at the brakes. When I took them apart today, the bolts on the calipers didn't look like they had even been touched. Here is a picture of what the back of the both sides pads look like. Have any of yall experienced this or do you think something is not right here? I'm thinking that plastic or nylon shim melting might have been part of the problem. Seems at the least if they did their due diligence they would have mentioned it.

Today, I pulled the brakes apart cleaned them and put brake grease behind the pads. Hopefully that helps. I investigated the seat and just had to install the cable correctly and it works perfectly now.

I guess I say all this somewhat to vent but to also say how disappointing it is that they had the truck for 2 weeks and couldn't do what I did in an hour and a half.. And I'm not a mechanic! Is this what is to be expected with Ram service?
The brake moan is a well documented issue and is covered in TSB 05-002-19 (dated April 25, 2019). The TSB states "If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Repair Procedure." This means the dealer DOES NOT have to replicate. Take a copy of the TSB to the dealer and tell them to fix it.

dreinert

Reaction score
I have the same brake noise issue on cool mornings after startup, parts have been on backorder but finally came in last week so I'm taking it in on Tuesday.

Here's a link to the TSB section of the forums; you'll see under "brakes" the first entry there is the latest fix which I believe is to add an bracket primarily. Clink the link and you can print the PDF and take it to the dealer.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'd find another dealership if possible, unfortunately good ones are hard to find

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine only happens on damp / cold nights. I hit the parking brake and put in gear then disable it .. noise gone.
I've had to replace the pads for that TSB. The ONLY replace the pads, not the rotors, nothing with the parking brake. The pads were "chipping" and "falling apart" on the ones I did .. They know the original pads were inferior and that is why they were being replaced. I did not replace mine yet, because I use my work-around to get the noise to stop. I do not leave the parking brake on at all - just when I hear the noise.

We've upload the .PDF of the TSB, and like everyone above said, make the dealership (especially if it is a certified CDJR dealership) replace the pads.

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
nope

QUOTE="RevRonnie, post: 274142, member: 8890"]
Do you put the emergency brake on over night?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE]

Maconi

Reaction score
Do you put the emergency brake on over night?

The Parking Brake should be engaged anytime the vehicle is in Park anyway IMO. Especially so in our vehicles where you can set uConnect to engage it automatically anytime you're in Park. It even automatically disengages when you're wearing your seat belt, put the vehicle in Reverse/Drive, and hit the accelerator.

I don't know if that helps with the brake sound issue though. I use the auto-Park brake and have never heard the sound but maybe I'm just lucky (or my vehicle came with the TSB pads already).

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I setup my truck to auto engage the parking brake too, it's a great feature. But sadly mine squeals in reverse now too. Truck is a year old, noticed it a few months ago.

RevRonnie

Reaction score
With my truck having a August 2019 build date you'd think when I asked if there were any TSB's and me bringing it in specifically for a rear brake moan, they would have caught this! #LetDownByRamServiceOnceAgain.
a27131920fe07370c459c53a083216da.jpg

RevRonnie

Reaction score
Sorry. Tapatalk wouldn't let me upload full resolution.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200427-075214_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200427-075214_Chrome.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 35

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can't say I've ever owned a truck/SUV that didn't have brake moan on a cold, damp morning. It's the nature of physics and science. If the noise goes away within a couple of minutes, which it always does, why fight with the dealer? That's not a hill to die on.

RevRonnie

Reaction score
Can't say I've ever owned a truck/SUV that didn't have brake moan on a cold, damp morning. It's the nature of physics and science. If the noise goes away within a couple of minutes, which it always does, why fight with the dealer? That's not a hill to die on.
A slight moan no problem. This sucker wakes the neighbors every 3 or 4 mornings and I live in Louisiana. We don't really have truly cold mornings. What I mean by cold is before the truck warms up.

ramvt

Reaction score
My dealer performed the work from that TSB for free even though I had already gone past the allotted 12,000 mile brake warranty. The moan and groan turned into a squeaky higher pitched brake pad rub noise after they did the work. I pulled the slide pins and they were completely dry. I liberally applied some brake grease and they have been quiet ever since.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A slight moan no problem. This sucker wakes the neighbors every 3 or 4 mornings and I live in Louisiana. We don't really have truly cold mornings. What I mean by cold is before the truck warms up.

I know what you mean. My last fullsize was a F-150 with the new 5.0 and first thing in the morning it sounded like a dump truck coming to a stop. Could have heard that thing a few blocks away. After a couple of miles it would go away though. If it continued to do it all the time I would have ripped it apart but I figured a couple of miles wasn't a big deal. If you can get the dealership to work on it under warranty I guess go for it!

Users who are viewing this thread