5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brake Controller

GaCop42

Reaction score
I just pulled my camper for the first time with my 2500 this past weekend. Before I had a 1500 with a brake controller box, so I’m new to the brake controller that comes built into the dash. My camper dry weight is 5400, I’m towing less than 6000. I gradually increased the brakes and got to 10 and they never got close to locking up. Stopping wasn’t an issue, but figured I shouldn’t have had to get to 10. Is this normal or could there be an issue?

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t have an HD, but you should have a way to set the trailer size on the instrument cluster, which is the old gain or boost setting. Probably more help in the HD sub forum.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just pulled my camper for the first time with my 2500 this past weekend. Before I had a 1500 with a brake controller box, so I’m new to the brake controller that comes built into the dash. My camper dry weight is 5400, I’m towing less than 6000. I gradually increased the brakes and got to 10 and they never got close to locking up. Stopping wasn’t an issue, but figured I shouldn’t have had to get to 10. Is this normal or could there be an issue?
I had the factory brake controller on my 1500 with a bigger trailer. I was at 6.5 gain.

Is the trailer new or were you towing it with the 1500? Might be worth taking a look at the trailer brakes.

GaCop42

Reaction score
I had the factory brake controller on my 1500 with a bigger trailer. I was at 6.5 gain.

Is the trailer new or were you towing it with the 1500? Might be worth taking a look at the trailer brakes.
It’s a 2022. Been pulled maybe 5 times

GaCop42

Reaction score
Are you on light or heavy electric setting on the controller?
To be honest I didn’t no there was such a setting. I just squeezed the controller and increased it waiting to see if it needed to be backed off of or not

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1500 Ram is on steering wheel buttons, don't know where yours might be, but the +/- buttons or the squeeze slider on the center brake controller only increase voltage within the boost setting on your dash. You should be on "heavy" as posted.

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To be honest I didn’t no there was such a setting. I just squeezed the controller and increased it waiting to see if it needed to be backed off of or not
Okay, go into your settings on your radio screen. In there, find the trailer settings and set your trailer to heavy electric and readjust from there. Many say that light is just too light to be effective on travel trailers.

GaCop42

Reaction score
Okay, go into your settings on your radio screen. In there, find the trailer settings and set your trailer to heavy electric and readjust from there. Many say that light is just too light to be effective on travel trailers.
Ok thx

mrclortho

Reaction score
I run "heavy electric" and 5.5 on the gain pulling a 7klbs dual axle travel trailer with my '23 1500.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, been awhile...😵‍💫 I think you're right, you only can scroll thru on the dash what you've already set in the radio.

Users who are viewing this thread