5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brake controller without software update

Dmanindfw

Reaction score
Installed my own RAM factory trailer brake controller. Had the truck at the dealer for some maintenance and asked them to program the head unit with the trailer brake controller options. They of course charged me for that which I expected. I got home and then realized that I do NOT have any brake controller settings or options. They simply loaded the standard software update without controller options. I'm not 100% sure now if I can get the truck in tomorrow to get it fixed. Of course I was having this all done in prep for a trip from Texas to deep in the mountains of Colorado...hauling my Can Am side by side on a tandem trailer. My question is, will the trailer brake controller still do its job even without the software update? Will I still have trailer brakes?

PaineTrain04

Reaction score
I'm fairly sure that the brake controller won't be sending any signals to the trailer brakes since the computer won't recognize that it needs to send those sort of signals.

Side question because I am planning on doing the same thing to my truck... What did the dealer charge you for the software upgrade?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s not a software upgrade or update that they perform on the radio, it is a sales code (XHC) that they enable to your VIN configuration. All this does is turns on a few settings in the BCM which, in turn, makes them show up in the radio. So, the dealer either improperly added sales code XHC and didn’t confirm the settings took like they are supposed to, or didn’t add the sales code at all. Either way, since you paid for that service, take it back to them and have them re-try until it takes.
Also, the controller itself will work just by installing it without any dealer intervention. You just adjust the gain on the physical switch itself. You just won’t have the settings menus for different trailers, etc.

PaineTrain04

Reaction score
Also, the controller itself will work just by installing it without any dealer intervention. You just adjust the gain on the physical switch itself. You just won’t have the settings menus for different trailers, etc.
Oh, really? So if you had an OEM controller, you could plug it in and the trailer would brake however the current TBC setting is at? No absolute need for the sales code input?

Reaction score
I'm fairly sure that the brake controller won't be sending any signals to the trailer brakes since the computer won't recognize that it needs to send those sort of signals.

Side question because I am planning on doing the same thing to my truck... What did the dealer charge you for the software upgrade?
We're taking ours in tomorrow to have the sales code added and they are charging $160. We're in so. cal so probably on the higher side of dealer prices.

Moe1962

Reaction score
WOW. I guess Virginia isn't that bad for pricing. I installed my and got the dealer to flash the correct sales code for $65.

Users who are viewing this thread