5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bought tires, now I'm worried.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I bought new tires.
Originals were 275/65 R18 116T
Replacements are 275/55 R 20 113T. They are Michelin Defender LTX M/S.

So I went from an 18" inch rim to a 20" rim, which is fine. Bought new rims as well. But I just realized I dropped from a 116 T to a 113 T, and I'm not sure how that is going to affect my payload?

I've been googling, 116 means 2,756 pounds, and 113 means 2,535 pounds.

Can these tires handle the 1750 pounds of payload my truck says it has?

blakei

Reaction score
Which rims did you go with? I’ve thought about upgrading from OEM but have realized that many rims only have 2100 or 2400 lbs rating...

I’m not sure what the OEM rims are but I’d guess they are grater than the axle rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigD

Reaction score
How did u end up with 18 inch wheels on a Big Horn level 2 ? I thought they all come standard with 20 inch wheels ?

Jako

Reaction score
How did u end up with 18 inch wheels on a Big Horn level 2 ? I thought they all come standard with 20 inch wheels ?
Level 2 doesn't change the wheels on a Big Horn to 20".

BigD

Reaction score
Level 2 doesn't change the wheels on a Big Horn to 20".
Interesting, I've never seen a Big Horn with 18 inch wheels. Only Tradesmen around here in Minnesota have the 18's.

silver billet

Reaction score
Which rims did you go with? I’ve thought about upgrading from OEM but have realized that many rims only have 2100 or 2400 lbs rating...

I’m not sure what the OEM rims are but I’d guess they are grater than the axle rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with the "sport" rims, only these are replicas and I could get them in 20 inch instead of 22. They have completely transformed the look of my truck.

s-l64.jpg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-inch-20...chined-Rims-6-lug-Laramie-Sport-/174404990496

I have no idea what the rating is on them either. I just assumed that if they were designed for my truck/trim then they should work there? They specifically say "compatible with 2019 ram bighorn 4x4".

silver billet

Reaction score

I custom ordered my truck. I wanted the sport trim here in Canada (which is pretty much like the laramie with sport package; body color bumpers and those aluminum/black rims) because I love the exterior look of it, but I wanted cloth seats and the bench up front (6 seats) so that eliminated the sport trim and I had to drop down to bighorn.

I always knew I'd end up with the sport rims on my truck so when I ordered it I just kept the cheapest rims I could purchase, they are next door to minivan rims and had to come off in the worst way.

The 20 inch should hopefully get me a firmer ride for towing. I found the 18's to be a little squishy, and combined with the michelin's I just purchased which are supposed to have a firmer sidewall, I'm hoping for better towing results this year.

Jako

Reaction score
Interesting, I've never seen a Big Horn with 18 inch wheels. Only Tradesmen around here in Minnesota have the 18's.
I have the Big Horn 18" and purchased a 2nd hand set of 20" Laramie wheels. The 18" are my winter wheels. The 18" Big Horn are plentiful on the resale market so perhaps what you see are people like myself swapping out the 18 OEM for something more to their taste.

Users who are viewing this thread