5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bought a 2024 Rebel 1500... which black lugs to use?

Badlilhemi

Reaction score
Truck is a 6 lug and I keep finding 5 lug kits.. I cannot find the right 6 lug 24 total kit with locks.. Just trying to replace the stock with black. It's been a pain trying to find them. Thanks for any help!!! I have been searching posts etc but most links no longer work.

jit11375

Reaction score
I bought lug nut covers on Amazon to get me through till I got some black lugs. They look so good I forgot I was even supposed to get black lugs. Thanks for reminding me lol

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought lug nut covers on Amazon to get me through till I got some black lugs. They look so good I forgot I was even supposed to get black lugs. Thanks for reminding me

I got colorlugs covers too

DeanM2

Reaction score
Not a fan of Gorilla Lugs/Locks. Poor finish. Locking Lugs are the same for all vehicles.

If you can find a good quality set of 20 such as Mopar, then you buy a set of locking Lugs from McGard, and you have your 6 per wheel.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another vote for Gorilla. Got a different style than the ones above, think they're a little longer. Don't really care if they're all the same lock. If someone's willing to walk around with a pocket full of Gorilla lug keys more power to them for stealing my wheels. These have been on my truck roughly 50k miles, and I rotate tires every 5k. Including work I've done on the truck I've probably pulled the wheels 20 times since I've had them.
1698756398808.png 1698756416393.png

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

Running these for 90 days or so on my new truck. Expensive, but I wanted something that wouldn't rust or chip and so far so good.

Gorilla 96644BDX
What happens when you go to get new tires? Plan on buying new lugs then also? Soon as someone takes an impact to those they gonna get ruined are they not?

Another vote for Gorilla. Got a different style than the ones above, think they're a little longer. Don't really care if they're all the same lock. If someone's willing to walk around with a pocket full of Gorilla lug keys more power to them for stealing my wheels. These have been on my truck roughly 50k miles, and I rotate tires every 5k. Including work I've done on the truck I've probably pulled the wheels 20 times since I've had them.
View attachment 170249 View attachment 170250
Do those clean off or are they completely corroded? They don't look black anymore.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What happens when you go to get new tires? Plan on buying new lugs then also? Soon as someone takes an impact to those they gonna get ruined are they not?

Do those clean off or are they completely corroded? They don't look black anymore.
That’s why I like the Lug nut covers. Pull em off quickly and when the impact gun uhguhs uhguhs the finish on the stockers, put the covers back on and looks fresh and new.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score

They clean off almost completely. They're just dirty. There are a few spots where the black has worn off since I use an impact wrench on them, but unless you buy the (in my opinion) cheap looking rubber covers you won't keep any lugs completely black forever.

As far as taking an impact to them, you use a socket on the key which fits over each lug. Wrench/socket never touches the actual lug.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get the caps - cheaper and will last longer. First time you take the painted lugs off, they'll chip and then the rust process begins. Save yourself time and money by just doing the lug covers from the start.

Badlilhemi

Reaction score
Not a fan of Gorilla Lugs/Locks. Poor finish. Locking Lugs are the same for all vehicles.

If you can find a good quality set of 20 such as Mopar, then you buy a set of locking Lugs from McGard, and you have your 6 per wheel.

Each set of gorilla lock lugs has a unique key per that set that you have to register in case it's ever lost. First Time I have heard bad things about their finish. I ran them on my Mustang for years without issue and survived many impacts. I hope their quality hasn't gotten down hill..

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just for you guys I took one off and cleaned it up a bit. The red on top is dirt not rust. Left is an extra when I got my wheels, right is 3.5 years and 48k miles old. Put them on my truck with about 4k miles, and I'm at about 52k miles. Unless you wash the wheels and look at it in the garage, the wheels will get enough dirt on them with 5 minutes of driving to make them not stand out.
1699895293988.png

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got the Mcgard with locks. With the Night Edition on a Black Truck the factory put on Chrome Lug Nuts.

Malodave

wacopolumbo

Reaction score
I got the Mcgard with locks. With the Night Edition on a Black Truck the factory put on Chrome Lug Nuts.

Malodave
Sorry to revive an old thread but I have a question about the McGards. I have the stock night edition 20” rims. Do the McGards cover the lug hole enough to cover the unpainted part? Also, how do they hold up to being removed and installed for tire rotations? I’ve got black lug nut covers on my wheels because I haven’t read any good reviews of aftermarket black lug nuts holding up well. I was going to get the black OEM nuts, but $300 for lug nuts is ridiculous. The linked McGards above are $150 for a set, that’s doable for me. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/