5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla Atak vs S-type

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Okay I think I've drove myself crazy listening to sound clips on Borla, Magnaflow and Flowmaster. 99% sure I'm going with the Borla S-Type, like many on here have stated the ATAK sounds so much better. But I have to be sensible and compromise a little. So a couple of questions please for the guys that have done this.

1. When talking with the muffler shop they are asking to me to sign a waiver so they won't be responsible for warranty issues. Has this come up with any of you?

2. Did you guys leave the Resonators in? Or possibly even add one anywhere else?

Thanks in advance
There is no option to leave resonators on, it's a complete kit that replaced everything from the mid-pipe back. Exhaust shop is just covering their ***, standard release of liability for them

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've never been asked to sign a waiver at an exhaust shop, personally i would tell them to go scratch. No resonator on the catbacks and I vote ATAK, hell im used to it and it seems tame now!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've never been asked to sign a waiver at an exhaust shop, personally i would tell them to go scratch. No resonator on the catbacks and I vote ATAK, hell im used to it and it seems tame now!
If you have ever approved a service contract before they started work you did. But can't say I ever have either. Then again, with how hard the EPA is starting to crack down on shops, I can see why they might want it.

sep1006

Reaction score
There is no option to leave resonators on, it's a complete kit that replaced everything from the mid-pipe back. Exhaust shop is just covering their ***, standard release of liability for them
Thanks for the reply and info. The Shop Manager basically told me it was a CYA issue and they do it with every vehicle they work on that still has a warranty.

Pretty reliable and highly rated shop , recommended to me by several people where I live.

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and info. The Shop Manager basically told me it was a CYA issue and they do it with every vehicle they work on that still has a warranty.

Pretty reliable and highly rated shop , recommended to me by several people where I live.
Ok, as long as your comfortable... i don't see it as an issue as far as warranty so it shouldn't matter it's just everything has become a technicality and hassle these days!

sep1006

Reaction score
Ok, as long as your comfortable... i don't see it as an issue as far as warranty so it shouldn't matter it's just everything has become a technicality and hassle these days!

Yeh, I can see the concern from their end so no biggee. I haven't read about any "warranty voiding" issues with installing aftermarket exhaust but I guess I will do my due diligence before moving forward.

Baneghoul

Reaction score
After reading through this thread and listening to WAY TOO MANY sound clips I ordered the Borla S-Type exhaust system. Have an appt. Wednesday afternoon to have it all installed.
Just had my S-Type installed on my Rebel last Friday. It’s louder than I thought it would be. I like it so far though. Definitely still hear it at 75 mph @ 2K RPM but it’s not a drone or anything just louder than stock. I’m digging the tone though. Step on it and it howls. I am not sure I’d want it louder lol.

sep1006

Reaction score
Just had my S-Type installed on my Rebel last Friday. It’s louder than I thought it would be. I like it so far though. Definitely still hear it at 75 mph @ 2K RPM but it’s not a drone or anything just louder than stock. I’m digging the tone though. Step on it and it howls. I am not sure I’d want it louder lol.

Well just got back from the install. One word:
SONSAB!TCHES

sep1006

Reaction score
I don't believe you unless you have sound videos of this🤪
There are plenty of them out there on You Tube so no reason to make another one. I will say this though. In no way do the sound clips sound near as good!!!!!!

Bambohunter

Reaction score
Are you guys doing the complete cat back system or just the muffler swap? i have an appointment monday to do an s-type muffler swap for $400. not sure if i should go ahead and do it or save up and do the full cat back? is there really any difference?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are you guys doing the complete cat back system or just the muffler swap? i have an appointment monday to do an s-type muffler swap for $400. not sure if i should go ahead and do it or save up and do the full cat back? is there really any difference?
If you are paying $400 for just a muffler swap, I'd personally say save up and just do the full cat back. Just a muffler swap won't sound the same.

Baneghoul

Reaction score
I did the full cat back. I paid about $1200 installed.

sppb32

Reaction score
The universal S-Type muffler is not the same that comes in the Cat back, the cat back muffler is a "tuned" muffler with sound canceling chambers, the universal S-Type muffler is a straight trough with sound absorbing fiber you will not get nowhere near the same sound, do yourself a favor: save some money and buy the cat back, it's worth every penny. Just be aware it's allot louder than it sounds in the sound clips.

Truck$-4life

Reaction score
I just found a good video with the Type S. I think I'm gonna go that route. I had the Borla XS on my Silverado and thought it was good, even before I put headers on it.
This one gives honestly the best way to see. It honestly sounds like an atak from other videos I've watched

Truck$-4life

Reaction score
Torn between the atak or the s type... I have a muffler delete and I just don't want it to be super similar..

VegasRob55

Reaction score
Torn between the atak or the s type... I have a muffler delete and I just don't want it to be super similar..
I have the S-Type on my 2019 Laramie, and I am still so glad, five years later, that I went S-Type and not ATAK or even CORSA brand. The Borla S-Type is the deep, throaty sound that the HEMI deserves.

ya3coub

Reaction score
It never hit me before, but I miss the atak, had it on my truck since 2019, also on previous cars and trucks.

I just installed the BBK 1/3/4 shorties and installed a 3” custom exhaust with dual ultra quite vibrant resonators and dual Mf mufflers.

The dron is gone, but I feel that I’m not happy with my decision, I will see after tunning.

I would say start with the atak and add the resonator if its too loud for you.

Users who are viewing this thread