5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borla Atak vs S-type

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My truck is an eTorque, and didn't come with a front resonator. Just a long straight pipe from cat to muffler.
Interesting...thanks for confirming. There've been some discussions about this, but I don't think we've figured out what (if anything) triggers the difference. Looking at your signature, I think the biggest difference between our trucks is that I have the ORG and ELocker...and I'm not sure how that would trigger any change to the exhaust. Perhaps it was re-engineered to reduce cost in the newer models.

AlexMaxiMen

Reaction score
Want to install S-Type, what i receive if i install Borla resonator? Quiet sound? Lower drone? Mo’ power?

Отправлено с моего iPad используя Tapatalk

GrayBeard

Reaction score
Just ordered the ATAK after a fair amount of research. Should be here in about a week. $950 on Amazon....free shipping.

GrayBeard

Reaction score
So after a lot of thinking I caved. I went with the S type. I like me neighbors and I don’t think they’d appreciate the Atak every morning at 6am when I go to work. Lol. Should still sound amazing. Will post some videos when it’s on when I have time to do it.
Congrats!

ktl5005

Reaction score
Want to install S-Type, what i receive if i install Borla resonator? Quiet sound? Lower drone? Mo’ power?

Отправлено с моего iPad используя Tapatalk
Your not going to get power from an exhaust. No drone. Don’t do the resonator. If you want quiet keep it stock.

sppb32

Reaction score
I just finished installing the S type, i was set on the Atack but i do leave the house at 5 AM and living in a house complex i don't want to be loked at like i'm an A$$ hole.
The S Type it's actually pretty loud on cold start, has a nice trotty sound at idle once warm and very pleasant on the road, i would probably find the Atack too loud.
I think i got a great deal at $863 shipped, it arrived 3 day after ordered, actually next day after order processed.
Another thing i noticed is some of the guys here say it's a pain to remove the driver side tail pipe on the stock exhaust, i don't understand why they have to remove spare wheel, heat shields, lower the rear end... once i got it off the hangers and the the 2 pieces disassembled it took me 10 seconds to get it out, it was on the ramps but i bet it didn't have to be.

Thekidcasual

Reaction score
I just finished installing the S type, i was set on the Atack but i do leave the house at 5 AM and living in a house complex i don't want to be loked at like i'm an A$$ hole.
The S Type it's actually pretty loud on cold start, has a nice trotty sound at idle once warm and very pleasant on the road, i would probably find the Atack too loud.
I think i got a great deal at $863 shipped, it arrived 3 day after ordered, actually next day after order processed.
Another thing i noticed is some of the guys here say it's a pain to remove the driver side tail pipe on the stock exhaust, i don't understand why they have to remove spare wheel, heat shields, lower the rear end... once i got it off the hangers and the the 2 pieces disassembled it took me 10 seconds to get it out, it was on the ramps but i bet it didn't have to be.
Where did you get yours from?

sppb32

Reaction score
Where did you get yours from?
Through Discount Bandit, first time dealing with them, they are not the supplier they have their suppliers and they get the deal for you for the price listed on their website, very pleased with them, ordered the 21th, they submited the order to the supplier on the 22th and it was on my door steps on the 23th, how is that for efficiency.

Highertechnology

Reaction score
Through Discount Bandit, first time dealing with them, they are not the supplier they have their suppliers and they get the deal for you for the price listed on their website, very pleased with them, ordered the 21th, they submited the order to the supplier on the 22th and it was on my door steps on the 23th, how is that for efficiency.

Discount bandit has had some killer prices on many Ram 1500 parts as of late. Glad to hear the service matched.

ktl5005

Reaction score
That price is killer.

Mopar_Gummy

Reaction score
Just ordered my S-Type yesterday, i tend to steer clear of noose. My Hellcat's exhaust is ridiculous, and wish it sounded stock with some whine lol.
On the borla website, they have a video comparing the 3 models.
They also outline that if you buy an Atak, and it's too loud, there is a pipe you can swap out that will take it, it's towards the end of the video

Mopar_Gummy

Reaction score
I put the s type on mine and you won’t be disappointed. Sounds amazing. Super easy to install. I dropped the spare tire and drivers side heat shield and the stock exhaust came out easy without having to cut it. Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you do it in driveway or garage? Floor or on a lift?
I'll be installing mine this week, just wanted to know if floor height, and/or ramps will be good enough, or if i need to take it somewhere

DLT123

Reaction score
Did you do it in driveway or garage? Floor or on a lift?
I'll be installing mine this week, just wanted to know if floor height, and/or ramps will be good enough, or if i need to take it somewhere
Rhinoramps were all I needed. Didn't need to cut the old exhaust to remove it, but I did remove the spare tire and shroud before I started. There was plenty of room to remove the original exhaust system.

Mopar_Gummy

Reaction score
Rhinoramps were all I needed. Didn't need to cut the old exhaust to remove it, but I did remove the spare tire and shroud before I started. There was plenty of room to remove the original exhaust system.
Awesome, thanks, I'm excited!

Mopar_Gummy

Reaction score
I just had the S-Type installed a few days ago and it sounds loud and aggressive. Like a devil with a temper😈 It’s beautiful. Not “too” loud as to shake my neighbors windows. But PLENTY loud with a deep angry tone.
Agreed, i have been known for trying to "quiet" my exhaust systems on my performance vehicles, the challenge between maintaining proper back pressure and noise suppression has been difficult at time. Most notably a catless (to preserve supercharger bearings) Hellcat, and procharhed mustang (notable 40rwhp gain). Til this exhaust, my favorite note was a Magnaflow exhaust i had on a nitrous fed VR6. I can happily say that this exhaust is now my #1 !
Additionally, the pedal commander has added to my love for the system. When in eco mode, the exhaust note is a whisper, and sounds like a monster in sport+. I don't usually endorse product like this (mostly because i think it's cheesy), but i would 100% recommend it

Caulk Boss

Reaction score
Do you know the exact part number you ordered? I have a 19 1500 4x4 Longhorn with Air Ride.. And the 6'4 need length, not the standard 5'7..

Mopar_Gummy

Reaction score
Do you know the exact part number you ordered? I have a 19 1500 4x4 Longhorn with Air Ride.. And the 6'4 need length, not the standard 5'7..
Check the Borla website. It has the manufacturer part number, which can be plugged into the seller website for verification. They also have a link to a nice sound clip video that compared stock v touring v Atak for confirmation on the sound you're looking for. S-Type is perfect for me personally

sep1006

Reaction score
Okay I think I've drove myself crazy listening to sound clips on Borla, Magnaflow and Flowmaster. 99% sure I'm going with the Borla S-Type, like many on here have stated the ATAK sounds so much better. But I have to be sensible and compromise a little. So a couple of questions please for the guys that have done this.

1. When talking with the muffler shop they are asking to me to sign a waiver so they won't be responsible for warranty issues. Has this come up with any of you?

2. Did you guys leave the Resonators in? Or possibly even add one anywhere else?

Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread