5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boost mpg? Suspension mods? Please share

Binaryslave

Reaction score
Looking for experience as I'm a truck noob.

Looking into pulsar to increase mpg in economy mode. Is it noticeably worth it? Is there a better/higher recommended tuner?

Air cold air intake kits worth anything in real world on these trucks?

I'm looking to put exhaust cutout on that will integrate with the buttons on my visor but dont want to spring the cash for qtp cutout any other successful options?

I'm thinking of buying lift kit. I read that stock air lift goes 2 inch higher in off road 2. How would work if i bought 6 inch lift kit and let it go to aero mode? Would it be 4 inches higher than stock aero mode? Any brand recommendations?

Last question is where are you buying your aftermarket items from? Is there a good online dealer?

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Looking into pulsar to increase mpg in economy mode. Is it noticeably worth it? Is there a better/higher recommended tuner?

I'm looking to put exhaust cutout on that will integrate with the buttons on my visor but dont want to spring the cash for qtp cutout any other successful options?

I'm thinking of buying lift kit. I read that stock air lift goes 2 inch higher in off road 2. How would work if i bought 6 inch lift kit and let it go to aero mode? Would it be 4 inches higher than stock aero mode? Any brand recommendations?

Last question is where are you buying your aftermarket items from? Is there a good online dealer?

Hey, welcome to the forums, have you bought your truck yet? If so, fill in it's info in your sig, it makes helping with questions a lot easier, as everyone will be able to see your build / specs.

The pulsar thread should have the answer your looking for regarding mpg. Off the top of my head, I don't remember reading anything regarding a noticeable increase in economy, and this rings true for air intake and exhaust mods as well. Ram has a TON of cash at their disposal for development of these trucks, and fuel economy is a HUGE competitive advantage, so I'm sure they exhausted their resources getting the truck to perform the way it does economy wise.

There's also multiple threads about exhaust cutouts and their respective prices and options. Once again, from what I remember, there are quality options that cost money, and there are some not-so-quality options that are cheap. You know how it goes, "you get what you pay for".

Air ride trucks do not have the same options for lifts that the coil trucks do. From what I understand, there's one company right now that makes a 6" lift for DT air ride trucks. Broken record here, there are complete threads with the exact info you're looking for out there. Also, lifting, especially that high and if in combination with larger tires, is going to negate any and all mpg gains you would have gotten from other methods.

For aftermarket wheels, I'm not even gonna suggest a vendor, as there are SO many and prices vary SO much depending on where you are and what you're buying. If there was a cut and dry "cheapest" without sacrificing any other metric, you and I would have both heard about it by now.

For future reference, search around the forums, and IF you don't find what you're looking for, a dedicated thread with a dedicated question in the dedicated forum category will get you way more specific answers and info, compared to piling them all in one thread. Not trying to bust your balls, it's just that ten minutes of your time would have answered all of your questions without any new threads being started that won't, yanno?

Anyway, welcome again, see ya cruisin around the forums!

Last edited:

Binaryslave

Reaction score
Hey, welcome to the forums, have you bought your truck yet? If so, fill in it's info in your sig, it makes helping with questions a lot easier, as everyone will be able to see your build / specs.

The pulsar thread should have the answer your looking for regarding mpg. Off the top of my head, I don't remember reading anything regarding a noticeable increase in economy, and this rings true for air intake and exhaust mods as well. Ram has a TON of cash at their disposal for development of these trucks, and fuel economy is a HUGE competitive advantage, so I'm sure they exhausted their resources getting the truck to perform the way it does economy wise.

There's also multiple threads about exhaust cutouts and their respective prices and options. Once again, from what I remember, there are quality options that cost money, and there are some not-so-quality options that are cheap. You know how it goes, "you get what you pay for".

Air ride trucks do not have the same options for lifts that the coil trucks do. From what I understand, there's one company right now that makes a 6" lift for DT air ride trucks. Broken record here, there are complete threads with the exact info you're looking for out there. Also, lifting, especially that high and if in combination with larger tires, is going to negate any and all mpg gains you would have gotten from other methods.

For aftermarket wheels, I'm not even gonna suggest a vendor, as there are SO many and prices vary SO much depending on where you are and what you're buying. If there was a cut and dry "cheapest" without sacrificing any other metric, you and I would have both heard about it by now.

For future reference, search around the forums, and IF you don't find what you're looking for, a dedicated thread with a dedicated question in the dedicated forum category will get you way more specific answers and info, compared to piling them all in one thread. Not trying to bust your balls, it's just that ten minutes of your time would have answered all of your questions without any new threads being started that won't, yanno?

Anyway, welcome again, see ya cruisin around the forums!

Thanks for the info!!! :) I have been searching for 2 weeks for the answers to the questions I posted. I searched here, ramrebelforums, 3 dodge ram groups in facebook, and still don't have the answers to the questions I'm asking.

This is the mod forum, and all of my questions are mod related so I posted here rather than making 10 posts.

When you say search around the forums, you *are* suggesting 5thgenrams.com? I must have read 1500 posts in all forums from suspension, to general, to mods and not seeing what I'm looking for. Am I looking at the wrong forum?

Thanks again for the help.

Twoamen

Reaction score
There other forums besides 5th Gen. You can do the research and return here for advise and further information. Some of my past search found great information and may not of been a Dodge Truck site. Example radio patches, updates. Jeep, Dodge, Ram diesel etc all have same radios. Chevy wheels fit on Dodge trucks. So you'd be suprised on the information that is cross referenced. Come back with your findings. 5thgen will set you straight.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

definitely lots of threads here that can answering all of these questions in much greater detail. Sometimes you have to try different search combos in order to get the right search results. Anyway, my 2 cents below.

-pulsar seems to have mixed reviews. That and the pedal commander will give you better throttle response but I wouldn't expect better mpg from anything really, especially if you are modding things like exhaust, larger tires, lifts, etc.

-cold air intake there are a few options, afe, s&b & vararam. Members have installed all and seem to like them. It's a matter of preference. I like the s&b but it's spendy. It's mostly for sound, no real gains to be meaningful, especially without a tune.

- there is a cutout. someone here has done it. I don't remember the name because it's not my thing. Lots of good exhaust threads. One good option to consider is the b2fab magnaflow option. They made a bolt up magnaflow muffler. One simple cut and it bolts up. It's not super aggressive but very well balanced. It's affordable, high quality, easy to DIY but not loud if that's what you're looking for.

- moparameica.com is a good site. They have great prices and use can always use the promo code dodgeforum5% for an extra 5%. You can also go to mopar's website and they have a 15% dealer coupon that is good through September that you can use over and over again for accessories. Just go there and print it off.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!!! :) I have been searching for 2 weeks for the answers to the questions I posted. I searched here, ramrebelforums, 3 dodge ram groups in facebook, and still don't have the answers to the questions I'm asking.

This is the mod forum, and all of my questions are mod related so I posted here rather than making 10 posts.

When you say search around the forums, you *are* suggesting 5thgenrams.com? I must have read 1500 posts in all forums from suspension, to general, to mods and not seeing what I'm looking for. Am I looking at the wrong forum?

Thanks again for the help.

All the threads I referenced were from this site only, I'll see if I can dig some up for ya.

Pulsar:
Mentions .5mpg gains, all of the threads are more focused on the throttle response, which everyone is happily impressed with.
Some videos of the install here too

Here's the search results for "cold air intake", there's more using other keywords and brand names, I got into some back and forth with some pretty ridiculous claims over one of the threads, can't find it at the moment, I'm wondering if it got deleted, lol

Here's the exhaust cutout thread with the OP going through some trial and error to get the best seal out of one of the less expensive setups, and then ends up replacing it. Searching cutouts brings up a few threads.

There's a thread literally titled "Which lift / level option for Air Ride is best"
And there's a few other threads on the subject of air ride and lifts, including one on a Limited truck (all Limiteds are air ride trucks), you could always message the OP to ask some questions as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread