5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Body colored bumpers

westcoast

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I purchased a new ram the other day. Ivory limited. When they pulled the truck up it was an entirely different truck than I thought I was negotiating. It had chrome bumpers and not body colored. It as almost a deal breaker but they gave me 700 cash back. Needles to say I have a hookup from another dealer that said theyd swap my chrome for another limited bumpers that are ivory. Mine is a 2020 there is 2019. I have a few concerns. Would paint match perfect being different years possible different batches? After trying to find a silver lining in the situation I read how chrome holds well oppose to the painted. I like in western pa where salt and snow are common. I do a lot of highway driving. Am I better actually just keeping the chrome? I feel at loss now because the white is what I wanted but now I feel I may be second guessing my entire situaton. What are your thoughts.

I specifically did not want the painted bumpers because of the chips and i actually think the chrome look looks better.

Reactions: MJP

Atlantic Blue

Reaction score
Something else to consider. Paint Protection Film doesn't last forever. I believe most are only warranties for up to 5 years.

Eventually the film will break down and need to be replaced. It may take 5 years it may take 10 - just keep that in mind.

I had PPF on an 2003 Infinity Coupe on the bumper, full hood, and mirrors and I watched it break down over time showing Nick's and scratches etc.

By all means you should get it if it suits you just know that it needs "maintenance/repair/replacement". Make sure you talk to your installer about what to expect.

ericd

Reaction score
I've no prior experience with PPF so I didn't realize they were sold in kits. I assumed it was like window tint, where you take a generic sheet and cut it to fit. Or like a colored vinyl wrap.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into what's available for the bumpers.
you can do it both ways. You can buy long square sheets and cut it yourself and install it yourself which is significantly cheaper but less precise. Or if a pro does it they cut the exact dimensions of the truck on a plotter and they install it. For example, this kit on XPEL is $460 to buy and do yourself. My guy charges $900 for the kit and the install for this kit. There's no way to cut this out by hand and have it come out decent.

P0701AS-U_00.gif

ericd

Reaction score
Ther guy can def do this for me as a "favor", if I get the lower bumper ppf, wil I not get chips and it stay new, sry for grammar n typos, posting on phone hands r numb, outside 25 degrees?
From my experience yes, it'll stay practically new. Granted if something big enough moving fast enough hits it it could punch through. But I've had great results with my two trucks

Jim L

Reaction score
Something else to consider. Paint Protection Film doesn't last forever. I believe most are only warranties for up to 5 years.

Eventually the film will break down and need to be replaced. It may take 5 years it may take 10 - just keep that in mind.

I had PPF on an 2003 Infinity Coupe on the bumper, full hood, and mirrors and I watched it break down over time showing Nick's and scratches etc.

By all means you should get it if it suits you just know that it needs "maintenance/repair/replacement". Make sure you talk to your installer about what to expect.
Interesting as I have not experienced that in last four vehicles but I never keep them more than 10 years and sure works for rock chips

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I traded a 2012 Silverado with painted bumpers and they looked new when I traded due to getting a clear bra right away. Now I just got a 2020 ram Laramie sport appearance package and first thing I did was get the clear bra. No regrets
Most probably the best protection you can get.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting as I have not experienced that in last four vehicles but I never keep them more than 10 years and sure works for rock chips

I had clear bra put on my '99 3000GT VR4. It looked GREAT - for the first few years. I don't remember what brand I got. That was 15 years ago. But, I do remember that it a brand that I researched online and it was highly regarded. I.e. it was "the shizz" to get, at that time.

You have to make sure you get material that has NO UV protection. Otherwise, the rest of the paint will gradually fade and the paint under the PPF will still look new.

By the 10 year mark, mine had cracks in it, some yellowing, and generally looked like crap. I took it to an auto detailing place just to try and get it removed. They tried and determined that getting it off was going to pull some of the paint off with it.

Maybe if I had gotten it replaced every 5 years it would have been okay. I don't know.

I do know that I won't be bothering again. I didn't do PPF or ceramic or anything like that on my '09 RAM 1500, which had body-colored bumpers (black). The front bumper still looked fine when I traded it in after 10 years.

I really do not personally care for the look of chrome bumpers or chrome mirrors. To me, once you have those, you may as well put on 24" spinner rims, limo tint, curb feelers, and neon lights underneath. But, my grandmother used to tell me pretty often, "that's why there's chocolate and vanilla." Rest her soul. She was a great woman. :-\

In the OP's place, I would have just said no, period, to the truck they brought out for him. Next truck, please. Or, next dealer. I'm not spending as much money as these trucks cost and getting something that is that far from what I really want.

Complexeyedea

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I made the decision to swap em, I am going weds to have them switched, within the next few days I'll get in for ppf and ceramic coating.

Attachments

• 20191116_101836.jpg
    20191116_101836.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 63

Complexeyedea

Reaction score
I had clear bra put on my '99 3000GT VR4. It looked GREAT - for the first few years. I don't remember what brand I got. That was 15 years ago. But, I do remember that it a brand that I researched online and it was highly regarded. I.e. it was "the shizz" to get, at that time.

You have to make sure you get material that has NO UV protection. Otherwise, the rest of the paint will gradually fade and the paint under the PPF will still look new.

By the 10 year mark, mine had cracks in it, some yellowing, and generally looked like crap. I took it to an auto detailing place just to try and get it removed. They tried and determined that getting it off was going to pull some of the paint off with it.

Maybe if I had gotten it replaced every 5 years it would have been okay. I don't know.

I do know that I won't be bothering again. I didn't do PPF or ceramic or anything like that on my '09 RAM 1500, which had body-colored bumpers (black). The front bumper still looked fine when I traded it in after 10 years.

I really do not personally care for the look of chrome bumpers or chrome mirrors. To me, once you have those, you may as well put on 24" spinner rims, limo tint, curb feelers, and neon lights underneath. But, my grandmother used to tell me pretty often, "that's why there's chocolate and vanilla." Rest her soul. She was a great woman. :-\

In the OP's place, I would have just said no, period, to the truck they brought out for him. Next truck, please. Or, next dealer. I'm not spending as much money as these trucks cost and getting something that is that far from what I really want.
I usually am a fan of chrome, but for some reason I think the flow of the truck on this model looks better painted through. But I still like the chrome accents, actually wish the wheels had the chrome look with inserts rather than the polished. As far as 24 spinners, my car did have chrome 22 inch wheels, and tint and blacked out, but I was going for a different feel. I saw a ram with 24 inch chrome wheels, 35 x12.5 tires looked good to me. Was aggressive but not too flashy. Never a fan of underglow or anything. But like you said to each there own. If everyone liked the same things we all have the same truck. I think I may vinyl wrap the wheel inserts with the ivory wrap to tie the wheels in more, instead of black.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I usually am a fan of chrome, but for some reason I think the flow of the truck on this model looks better painted through. But I still like the chrome accents, actually wish the wheels had the chrome look with inserts rather than the polished. As far as 24 spinners, my car did have chrome 22 inch wheels, and tint and blacked out, but I was going for a different feel. I saw a ram with 24 inch chrome wheels, 35 x12.5 tires looked good to me. Was aggressive but not too flashy. Never a fan of underglow or anything. But like you said to each there own. If everyone liked the same things we all have the same truck. I think I may vinyl wrap the wheel inserts with the ivory wrap to tie the wheels in more, instead of black.

I do also like a little bit of chrome for accent. My truck has the Black package, but I definitely would have preferred the Sport package, so I would have the chrome badging, instead of black badging, and silver-colored wheels. But, that WAS a difference I was/am willing to tolerate for the discount I got during the June blowout... If it had had chrome bumpers and mirrors, though, I would not have bought it, even with that big of a discount on the line.

BaseballDad

Reaction score
I have a new 2019 with the sport package. Decided to have XPEL put on the front bumper and under the headlights. Don't have a lot of confidence in installing myself so found a local certified installer from the XPEL site ($550). I'm in Michigan with a lot of snow and road salt and slop. Typically run my cars through a normal soft cloth car wash every couple weeks in the winter to wash the salt off, including the undercarriage.
Installer thinks it should hold up okay for at least 5 years or so. Another installer thought it would be okay but won't warranty the work if you run it through a car wash. Has anyone had a problem with PPF and car washes?

Jim L

Reaction score
No problem for me with touchless car washes. As I mentioned just traded a 2012 Silverado and the PPF looked fine. Have it on my 2016 Acura no issues and now my 2020 ram

snj1013

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about "different batches" of paint per se, but you should compare the bumpers to your vehicle before proceeding. Typically plastic body parts aren't painted in the main assembly paint booth but instead are painted at other facilities and shipped to the vehicle assembly plant for installation. Therefore your painted bumpers are painted with a different batch of paint regardless of they are switched out from a different model year vehicle.

ericd

Reaction score
I have a new 2019 with the sport package. Decided to have XPEL put on the front bumper and under the headlights. Don't have a lot of confidence in installing myself so found a local certified installer from the XPEL site ($550). I'm in Michigan with a lot of snow and road salt and slop. Typically run my cars through a normal soft cloth car wash every couple weeks in the winter to wash the salt off, including the undercarriage.
Installer thinks it should hold up okay for at least 5 years or so. Another installer thought it would be okay but won't warranty the work if you run it through a car wash. Has anyone had a problem with PPF and car washes?
I run my truck through the car wash 1-2 times per week with no issue. It's not touchless but the cloth pads. My last truck had XPEL as well and in the 5 years i had it, it easily saw close to 200 car washes. Never had a single issue with the XPEL. There's no way for him to know it went through a car wash anyways. I imagine he'd have to honor the warranty since that probably comes from XPEL anyways

John813

Reaction score
When I had my truck I wanted the color bumpers but being on the highway a lot and FDOT doing milling and overlay over stretches of I-95 I sure heard a lot of pings from asphalt pebbles.

Users who are viewing this thread