5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boat Tow Assist

shankster84

Reaction score
Good evening group! Long time listener, first time poster, so here goes!

I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, NO e-torque, with the 3.21 rear end. I occasionally tow with the truck, but here's the issue:

It looks like the towing capacity of the truck in this configuration is about 8,200 lbs. Recently I purchased a bigger boat and trailer that with 2/3 of a tank of fuel weighs in at around 9,300 lbs. The trailer is a Myco aluminum trailer with electric brakes, so i'm not concerned too much about stopping. It's a nice set up. Oh, and I'm in the midwest so it's primarily flat towing with some longer grades, occasionally.

That being said, do you think it is safe to pull the boat with this truck if I limit the gears to only 7 (knock out the 8th/OD) and keep it around 60 mph? Or am I flirting with disaster here? I'm sure there is some fudge factor from the factory on the capacity, but I felt it would be prudent to reach out to this group of professionals.

Any thoughts?

Please and thanks!

Michael

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
7th gear (0.84:1) is also overdrive

How much payload? How far are you towing it?

shankster84

Reaction score
Trailer and boat: 9300 lbs. Truck itself would empty except for me and fuel. Also, truck is a Limited with 22" wheels. The longest tow would be 800 miles to get boat up to Michigan.

Too much?

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
I wouldn't. You are beyond the design limits of the truck. Yes, there is a safety factor built-in, but that is not where I would want to be when towing. With the 3.21 gear ratio, you are also putting a lot on that drive train to get that weight moving at every stop. I also take a pretty conservative approach to vehicle weight limits, but I don't lose transmissions or axels either. Might be a good excuse to upgrade.

shankster84

Reaction score
Agreed. My thoughts are to contract with an RV Driveaway outfit that might be deadheading back from delivering an RV somewhere, and just pay the money to have them run it back for me. At the end of the day, they are insured, have the right equipment to help me out since my truck isn't quite enough for the job, and I'm not sitting along the freeway with the 4-ways on and a puked transmission! :)

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Trailer and boat: 9300 lbs. Truck itself would empty except for me and fuel. Also, truck is a Limited with 22" wheels. The longest tow would be 800 miles to get boat up to Michigan.

Too much?
I’d be more inclined to do it for shorter distances. 800 miles is a bit much

shankster84

Reaction score
Ivory,

Yes, the long trip would be getting the boat from Alabama up to Michigan. Once in Michigan, there would be an occasional trip up north...200 miles or so...but nothing long distance. I think I'm just going to contract with a Drive-Away outfit and knock out the long run.

But I appreciate everyone's feedback!

Michael

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Judging by my experience with a TT and the 3.21, you won't ever see 7th either. 6th is comfortable, thats about 2200 rpms around 63 mph IIRC. 5th is fine too, about 2700 rpms at the same speed.

I personally wouldn't do it. If you end up pulling it, take your time from a stop. That's where the difference between a 3.21 and 3.92 is, the first 2 gears from a stop while pulling are rougher in the 3.21. Once you're moving, both rear axles end up giving you the same gear ratios.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is why I say through away the max tow number

Focus on the ratings

7100GVWR
3.21 GCWR is 13900

You do not really give much info anout the truck...so in will assume the avg payload of 1400lbs

So a 5700 lb base weight. This includes the full tank of gas.

13900 minus 5700 equals 8200...so see...a driverless truck without a hitch.

Let's say you weigh 225 and hitch weighs 75. So 300 now you are down to 7900lbs...

A boat usually has 10% tongue weight...ao 930lbs in your case. With 1400lbs payload and 300lbs of you and hitch...you have 170 lbs left

So with you and the hitch the truck weighs 6000lbs and the 9300lb boat...15300 GCWR.

Now. The way they figure the GCWR is on steep grades at elevation...but you are almost 2000lbs over...most vehicles can not even tow 2000lbs.

So although you no would be fine on flat short trips...you would have to make the decision to tow far and with grades...and it seems you have made a good decision for the 800 mile trip

shankster84

Reaction score
This is why I say through away the max tow number

Focus on the ratings

7100GVWR
3.21 GCWR is 13900

You do not really give much info anout the truck...so in will assume the avg payload of 1400lbs

So a 5700 lb base weight. This includes the full tank of gas.

13900 minus 5700 equals 8200...so see...a driverless truck without a hitch.

Let's say you weigh 225 and hitch weighs 75. So 300 now you are down to 7900lbs...

A boat usually has 10% tongue weight...ao 930lbs in your case. With 1400lbs payload and 300lbs of you and hitch...you have 170 lbs left

So with you and the hitch the truck weighs 6000lbs and the 9300lb boat...15300 GCWR.

Now. The way they figure the GCWR is on steep grades at elevation...but you are almost 2000lbs over...most vehicles can not even tow 2000lbs.

So although you no would be fine on flat short trips...you would have to make the decision to tow far and with grades...and it seems you have made a good decision for the 800 mile trip
So you're saying if I strip off the pickup bed...take out all of the seats except the driver and remove the front bumper, I could start getting a little bit closer to a proper weight? LOL!!!!

shankster84

Reaction score
So putting a coda to the saga here: I have indeed contracted with an RV delivery firm that will bring the boat to me as a backhaul instead of deadheading. Guy has a Ram 3500 dually, so this will be a piece of cake for him, the boat gets back safely, my truck stays in one piece, and I don't have 30 hours on the road!

All of your feedback was most appreciated and very insightful! Glad I'm part of this community!

Respectfully,

Michael

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Anything that has Limited in the trim level is generally set for luxury and doesn't have enough payload for towing over about 6,500lbs legally. Add-in 3.21's and you're at a major disadvantage. With 3.92's it might be doable, but still over weight. You're idea of an RV deadhead return is probably the best option, and then look at upgrading your truck to a 2500 or downgrading your trim in a 1500 to increase payload.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anything that has Limited in the trim level is generally set for luxury and doesn't have enough payload for towing over about 6,500lbs legally. Add-in 3.21's and you're at a major disadvantage. With 3.92's it might be doable, but still over weight.

It really depends on the options.
A loaded Limited CC 4x4 without Ram Box, MFT, ORG or eTorque will have around 1,400 lbs payload.

Plenty for a 6,500 lbs+ boat without being overweight

mophead

Reaction score
I'll start with the brakes. Flat towing the truck brakes are much better than they were years ago on a half ton. All disc and sized for trailering (up to their limit). The Myco likely had reasonably good brakes when new. Remember they sit and rust and corrode and only degrade unless you make sure they are maintained to new condition. If they are electric you need to regularly adjust the brake controller based on conditions. Stopping for a traffic light and making an emergency stop are two different animals. You need BOTH of them working at peak in that situation. I've had a few emergencies while trailering. Being short on stopping power is definitely one thing you don't want. When you put all that tongue weight on the hitch the back is going down, unfortunately the front is coming up. Your brakes are calibrated through a metering valve to send most of your braking power to the front. That's why the discs up front are bigger. You aren't transferring the same proportion of weight to the front with that trailer back there. Things aren't near optimum for stopping now. If it is far enough out (which I will go out on a limb and say you definitely are), things are gonna get squirrely with that trailer telling you where you are gonna go. Now multiply this if you are talking hills and that can be UP or down.

The tranny and engine may or may not be ok. Others will know much more about the specifics for your truck. But you are putting stress that is above what is recommended.
I may drive this a few miles (up to 20 maybe) back and forth to the ramp (flat ground). Taking it easy and leaving plenty of space. I wouldn't drive it any further that far past it's design limit. It is really that unsafe.

shankster84

Reaction score
Welp, I’ve heard it all now. Lots of reasons to upgrade to 3/4 ton but needing the 2500 to travel with a rock collection has to be a first.
About 20 years ago, I was manufacturing aluminum tow bodies that we put on the Ford F-450/F-550 Crew cab-chassis. We sold these to a lot of folks pulling big horse trailers and big ginormous 5th wheel RV's. In talking to an RV customer one day, the guy says that he collected rocks and that he traveled with the rock collection in the trailer! You can't make this stuff up! I remember saying "really??" and his wife gave me a look and said, "yes, can you believe it?"

Quint

Reaction score
Glad to hear that you made the right decision. My 2015 Ram had 3.21 gears and my new 2021 has 3.92. I can definitely notice a difference when towing my boat. It isn't anything near your rig but you can still feel the difference.

There is a good sticky thread in the main/general forum about the gearing. It will give you a good understanding of how the 3.92 essentially has an extra big 1st gear and the 3.21 eliminates that big "granny" gear and instead has a smaller 8th gear - akin to giving your truck overdrive.

Users who are viewing this thread