5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blown Motor at 21k - couple questions...

mffdvr

Reaction score
Potentially getting my truck back after 72 days (current count) at the dealership. With just over 21,000 miles and three days after an oil/filter service and a recall fix, I blew a “lower motor” part (presuming a piston/rod/lifter/etc.). This was Saturday, July 29th, backing out of the garage, took it in to the dealership first thing Monday morning the 31st and it’s been sitting there, literally in the same spot, ever since.

I’d been texting with the Service Advisor on a regular basis throughout this process and had been given 5 different completion dates. Finally I lost my patience after the last missed date and demanded to see the Service Manager. He provided me a new date of THIS Friday, Sept 13th. In all honesty, I didn’t go into that conversation demanding another date (because I’d been sold the same bill of goods one too many times), I simply want priority, attention, it done right and my truck back.

Never been through something like this so I have two questions –
  1. Should I trust a truck that blew an engine at 21k miles having never towed nor redlined in its short life? I’ve already been through leaky rear-window, 3 recalls and the usual stuff we all know about
  2. Are there any expectations or demands I should make when we have follow-up conversations as we near completion (i.e. new powertrain warranty, oil changes for life (lol), etc…)?

**TLDR – Should I trust my truck after motor replacement and what should I be certain to ask for from the dealership (new powertrain warranty, etc…)?

Marine6212

Reaction score
You will only get your remaining 3 year/36000 mile warranty.

O'Town Ram

I know less and less about more and more
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think it would be a reasonable ask to extend the powertrain warranty from 60K to 100K. 72 days is a lot of time for them to have it.

mffdvr

Reaction score
I think it's worth asking, I mean all they can say is 'no', right? Service Manager had no idea...all he knew is that one of his loaners had been off the lot for a really long time. :rolleyes:

not even sure, despite how much I've loved the truck, that I trust it any longer and that makes me sad. I've put a lot into it (tonneau, tints, tires, exhaust, etc)

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
A truck with a new replacement engine wouldn't bother me nor is it a problem, sounds like they sent an entire engine assembly.
The bigger issue is that the shop may be responsible for the failed engine if you just had an oil change there. They ae already showing you incompetence and a lack of concern but maybe the new service manager will be more helpful

mffdvr

Reaction score
View attachment 169036

That woulda been me day 10.
Yeah, I tried to be patient, but he kept revising target finish dates, and, after the 5th time, I lost my patience. OG Service Advisor has been relieved of his duties, not that it helps either way, and the Service Manager knows I'll only deal with him going forward. Frustrating however, is that the only thing he knew about "me", is that I had a loaner out for a long time, which hits his bottom line in his dept. Not a real satisfactory 1st impression. :rolleyes:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I tried to be patient, but he kept revising target finish dates, and, after the 5th time, I lost my patience. OG Service Advisor has been relieved of his duties, not that it helps either way, and the Service Manager knows I'll only deal with him going forward. Frustrating however, is that the only thing he knew about "me", is that I had a loaner out for a long time, which hits his bottom line in his dept. Not a real satisfactory 1st impression. :rolleyes:
You got a brand new engine at 21k miles. Which means your truck should last that much longer. You will still have a warranty on power train for a long time. I would not be concerned.

What excuses were given for previous missed deadlines?

mffdvr

Reaction score
What excuses were given for previous missed deadlines?
No excuses other than Service Advisor incompetence. Again, I never want people fired, I just want folks to do what they say. We’ll see where we’re at tomorrow when the Service Manager promised to call me to confirm if they’ll finish by Friday or not. The date’s not important at this point…getting it done correctly is the only thing that matters.

But yea, I feel like there’s gotta be some additional consideration on their part.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No excuses other than Service Advisor incompetence. Again, I never want people fired, I just want folks to do what they say. We’ll see where we’re at tomorrow when the Service Manager promised to call me to confirm if they’ll finish by Friday or not. The date’s not important at this point…getting it done correctly is the only thing that matters.

But yea, I feel like there’s gotta be some additional consideration on their part.
2-3 days max. Just did an ecodiesel in a 4th gen, 12 hours total time. How long did they have the engine for? 3.0 was ordered July 17th and arrived last week. Was told 4-6 weeks to get at 1st.

mffdvr

Reaction score
2-3 days max. Just did an ecodiesel in a 4th gen, 12 hours total time. How long did they have the engine for? 3.0 was ordered July 17th and arrived last week. Was told 4-6 weeks to get at 1st.
The engine has been sitting there since the 1st week in August. It’s October now.

mffdvr

Reaction score
Alright, just got a call from the Service Manager...they're fixing to remove the cab and get underway. They still think they can have it complete by Friday...again, please don't rush. Just do it right. Christ almighty. :cautious:

So...day #73 is the lucky day to get underway. Lovely...good to know.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Cracked block in the new engine. Glad they saw it before they got too far into the installation. Regardless…we’re back to square one and starting all over. 😑
How the hell does a brand new block have a crack? Or was it a used block?

mffdvr

Reaction score
Not even sure I'd have a say, as it's covered under warranty. Perhaps another phone call here to the Service Manager with some clarification. Yep, just called him back and he confirmed with his peer in Parts that it was indeed new and they both presume it was dropped during crating, as the cracking is down along the lower bolts. Either way...new one is in delivery. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
How the hell does a brand new block have a crack? Or was it a used block?

Your guess is as good as mine and I'd have thought it was a new block, but this gives me pause and makes me think it was a refurb. :cautious:

Rough handling during shipping maybe? I'd wonder if it was a crack in the head they saw and by the time the service writer got the message to you, it was cracked block. You're more likely to have a crack in a new block than a used/ seasoned block

Scram1500

Reaction score
Sounds like more bull excrement or the truck is cursed

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online