5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blown cv joint help!

Cease11

Reaction score
Blew this out earlier today off roading. Do you guys think this would affect the differential as well? I was able to get out of trouble just on 2x4 what a day! Getting off the freeway on the way home my check engine light came on. Stability control. I couldn’t go pass 30mph E2A74664-E855-4672-898E-BDD445B240AA.jpeg C3007B51-8E49-429F-BC8A-1635EDB21C4C.jpeg

Cease11

Reaction score
Took 3 hours and 3 trucks to tow me up this hill. Though I was going to have to spend the night! 2EE45C08-E7CB-49A3-8076-22AED2F1BD9A.jpeg

Cease11

Reaction score
Affect the diff? No it shouldn't... , just replace the cv and you should be fine
Any recommendations on heavier duty ones. This was so stressful being stuck in the middle of nowhere

jabara572

Reaction score
Any recommendations on heavier duty ones. This was so stressful being stuck in the middle of nowhere

Get your wallet out!

ldoh

Reaction score
The TFL truck guys blew one on their 2019 Rebel during an off road test video. It's a bummer they aren't more durable. You can see it at the 1:10 mark:

Last edited:

Cease11

Reaction score
The TFL truck guys blew one on their 2019 Rebel during an off road test video. It's a bummer they aren't more durable. You can see it at the 1:10 mark:

Yeah my mechanic guy told me the same thing. He said he would of expected heavier duty ones for this truck. Hopefully should have it ready tmw.

Cease11

Reaction score
Yeah my mechanic guy told me the same thing. He said he would of expected heavier duty ones for this truck. Hopefully should have it ready tmw.
If that’s it, then same thing happen with me. I think the wheel was spinning to fast when it made contact with the ground

jabara572

Reaction score
Keep in mind the axle is like a fuse, you get stronger axles and then maybe your front diff explodes instead. Which would you rather fix?

None of the IFS fronts are very strong on any truck, thats why people straight axle swap. Even Raptors are breaking axle shafts often. Never give it a lot of throttle when your wheels are turned, thats a sure way to snap most any front axle on anything.

Cease11

Reaction score
Keep in mind the axle is like a fuse, you get stronger axles and then maybe your front diff explodes instead. Which would you rather fix?

None of the IFS fronts are very strong on any truck, thats why people straight axle swap. Even Raptors are breaking axle shafts often. Never give it a lot of throttle when your wheels are turned, thats a sure way to snap most any front axle on anything.
thanks for the heads up and your help as well !

Boroman74

Reaction score
Mines not broke but it’s has way too much play in it. It rattles and drives me crazy. Does anyone know of any aftermarket CV’s available for 5 th Gens? Mopar want $500 plus core

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

This bears repeating. ^^
On my Z06, I've upgraded the clutch, replaced and upgraded the trans, upgraded the output shaft on the upgraded trans and upgraded the differential to hold my power. My CVs and half shafts are the fuse when I'm on drag radials.
I'm going to dead hook, spin or break an axle. Spinnin ain't winning and axles/CV's are far cheaper and easier to replace than the diff or trans.

I would look at the TRX parts and see if they were any different though

Aaron Mopar

Reaction score
Mines not broke but it’s has way too much play in it. It rattles and drives me crazy. Does anyone know of any aftermarket CV’s available for 5 th Gens? Mopar want $500 plus core
I'm dealing with this right now. Wondering if it's why I keep hearing popping noises at slow speeds with some turning. Everything is nice and torqued with my sway bars and tie rod ends. Can't find anything else that rattles like my cv joints do.

Dgonz0289

Reaction score
I'm dealing with this right now. Wondering if it's why I keep hearing popping noises at slow speeds with some turning. Everything is nice and torqued with my sway bars and tie rod ends. Can't find anything else that rattles like my cv joints do.
Im currently dealing with a weird almost hissing noise that occurs only while turning left. I’m trying to narrow down the culprit as I even just rotated my tires and inspected everything and there’s no contact being made anywhere or anything. I don’t off-road the truck but I do tow a 32 center console that’s at the upper end of my towing capacity and occasionally throw in in 4x4 low on steep ramps and crawl out without much effort.

Morenar

Reaction score
Im currently dealing with a weird almost hissing noise that occurs only while turning left. I’m trying to narrow down the culprit as I even just rotated my tires and inspected everything and there’s no contact being made anywhere or anything. I don’t off-road the truck but I do tow a 32 center console that’s at the upper end of my towing capacity and occasionally throw in in 4x4 low on steep ramps and crawl out without much effort.
Take a look at these bulletins.

Users who are viewing this thread